Confirmed with Link: John MacLean and Scott Allen to join Coyotes Coaching Staff

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
MacLean was a great player for the Devils and highly respected organization man. Was AC on the Devils '03 Cup winning team, waited for his oppty for a HC job, bypassed many times, despite Lou was making coaching changes as frequently as George Steinbrenner. MacLean finally given the job in '10 (after Brent Sutter abruptly quit during the summer), Devils had a terrible start 9-22-2 and he was fired before Christmas. Kovalchuk was a factor, as he signed the huge contract (and was an entitled ***), MacLean benched him at least once. After NJ, he went to Carolina as AC and most recently an NJ TV announcer.

Solid company man, don't believe innovation is a strength. But similar to other changes he has a solid resume, will be a respected voice in the room and has carried the Cup.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
John MacLean is from Oshawa. Maybe he spends his summers there. Maybe he's who Chayka met with in Toronto.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Wow. Very minor league. This could be the staff in Tucson and nobody would think it was over qualified. It's a shame it took so long for Barroway to complete the buyout of the Clowns and then work out a deal to push Tippett out the door. Just a little too late to cobble together an NHL coaching staff. All options already snatched up. Maybe these guys will appreciate their last chance and coach like their lives depend on it. This is the last stop in the NHL.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Wow. Very minor league. This could be the staff in Tucson and nobody would think it was over qualified. It's a shame it took so long for Barroway to complete the buyout of the Clowns and then work out a deal to push Tippett out the door. Just a little too late to cobble together an NHL coaching staff. All options already snatched up. Maybe these guys will appreciate their last chance and coach like their lives depend on it. This is the last stop in the NHL.

Yeah...kind of a shame that this is what we have to resort to. But I'm willing to be open minded about it and give them a chance at least. Even if it's not a couple of sexy names, if the fit is right and the motivation is there then it can still be successful...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Barroway made his bed on the coaching staff, now he can lay in it.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don't know anything about Allen but it'd be a bit odd if both assistants were former forwards.

It's not a high bar though. Just be better than Playfair.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah...kind of a shame that this is what we have to resort to. But I'm willing to be open minded about it and give them a chance at least. Even if it's not a couple of sexy names, if the fit is right and the motivation is there then it can still be successful...

Both have plenty of experience, albeit nothing really impressive per se. Both should be hungry. And that's about all I got on the optimism side of things. Other than the fact that this all tends to be a crapshoot anyway. It's as much right time, right mix as it is greatest sum of previous individual accomplishments. I honestly do believe that. Just like you wouldn't spend to the cap attempting to place the greatest number of career goals totals on the ice. I imagine building a coaching staff isn't all that unlike assembling a hockey team. It's about roles and chemistry and not necessarily just an accumulation of the largest pile of past accomplishments.

I guess all that says is I'm willing to be optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt until im given a reason not to be. The previous regime proved utterly incompetent. They PROVED it beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were incapable of moving this team forward. I can be skeptical of Barroway, Chayka, Tocchet and staff but I don't have any reason not to support them and hope for the best. They haven't given me a good reason not to yet. Drummond and LeBlanc and Tippett did that almost daily.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In my 30 seconds of looking at Allen's hockeydb page, I don't see any apparent ties to Tocchet. So at least you know he's not hiring friends.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Both have plenty of experience, albeit nothing really impressive per se. Both should be hungry. And that's about all I got on the optimism side of things. Other than the fact that this all tends to be a crapshoot anyway. It's as much right time, right mix as it is greatest sum of previous individual accomplishments. I honestly do believe that. Just like you wouldn't spend to the cap attempting to place the greatest number of career goals totals on the ice. I imagine building a coaching staff isn't all that unlike assembling a hockey team. It's about roles and chemistry and not necessarily just an accumulation of the largest pile of past accomplishments.

I guess all that says is I'm willing to be optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt until im given a reason not to be. The previous regime proved utterly incompetent. They PROVED it beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were incapable of moving this team forward. I can be skeptical of Barroway, Chayka, Tocchet and staff but I don't have any reason not to support them and hope for the best. They haven't given me a good reason not to yet. Drummond and LeBlanc and Tippett did that almost daily.

Well said. If these are the two we end up going with though...I do wonder who's coaching the D...?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This doesn't seem relevant to what rt said and just seems like an upset Tippet fanboi.

I have said many times I could care less who the coach is as long as the team is here, but you can't tell me you are excited about what may transpire here. I will support Tocchet and staff as they deserve a chance to show what they can do.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm extremely excited that the coach is not You-Know-Who. That means the chance of "what may transpire here" becoming a total disaster actually dipped below 100%.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Any coaching staff could come in and completely bomb. It happens sometimes. That said, I'm excited to see how this team reacts to a new voice in the locker room.

We may be Colorado bad next year for all we know. We can't rule it out. However, the changes that occurred this off season has me pumped up more than ever for Coyotes hockey. I'll give anyone a chance since its not You Know Who now.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Really underwhelming, even given the circumstances. Hope to see a sterling explanation from Tocchet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad