Confirmed with Link: John MacLean and Scott Allen to join Coyotes Coaching Staff

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The sensitivity is counterintuitive. If you threaten to strip outlets of their press credentials in response to mild criticism, those outlets will be less interested in writing about you at all. Burning bridges with the media is not what a good PR office should be doing.

As for Morgan, if there was discontent last year and he's just learning about it now, he hasn't been doing his job. I understand the team would not issue a press release saying they're unhappy with the coaching staff, but Morgan should be talking to sources throughout the organization, even if mostly off the record.

I believe any news is good press, but can understand their sensitivity because it really matters not. Point being - the popular teams get the press. Their stance is most likely that they are not interested in what little press they receive being negative. I happen to disagree, but it's understandable, just the same.

If Morgan is talking "off the record" wouldn't disclosing that information be an actual and blatant display of a lack of integrity? Furthermore, in doing so he alienates any good will and thus ability to get anything "on the record".

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
With regard to the Coyotes publicity office, it's literally their job to foster a positive relationship with the press. It's adversarial by nature, but it should still be professional. It is objectively harmful to their goals to be punitive about negative coverage. If you treat a writer or an outlet that way, they're that much less likely to be receptive to any positive messaging you have. Obviously they want as large a portion of the coverage to be positive as they can get, but this sort of behavior actually leads to more negative coverage and less coverage overall.

As for Morgan, a source will share something off the record not because he doesn't want it reported but because he doesn't want it sourced to him. If Morgan is chatting with folks throughout the season and getting the vibe that the team is down on Lamb, those folks would not be upset that he reported something along the lines of what he just tweeted, so long as none of them gets blamed for it.

In both cases, all parties benefit when there is trust and comfort between journalists and team sources.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
IDK, but seems you might be over exaggerating some perceived negative treatment of the press by the team. Is there any evidence of this?

As for on the record, off the record - I stand corrected, but if it's reported and there is no source it's basically not worth the bandwidth it's printed within.

Reminds me of my discussion with xx yesterday, where we both found articles stating exact opposites. Of course Morgan's case the removal of Lamb would have proven him correct in the event he had disclosed, but I don't know if that necessarily makes a case for the release of hearsay regarding a team so few care about anyway.

I get your point though, it's his job to report on the team and it seems many here find that reporting lacking sustenance.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
With regard to the Coyotes publicity office, it's literally their job to foster a positive relationship with the press. It's adversarial by nature, but it should still be professional. It is objectively harmful to their goals to be punitive about negative coverage. If you treat a writer or an outlet that way, they're that much less likely to be receptive to any positive messaging you have. Obviously they want as large a portion of the coverage to be positive as they can get, but this sort of behavior actually leads to more negative coverage and less coverage overall.

The complicating factor, of course, is that there is a growing trend of treating the press as a de facto publicity mechanism rather than a source of objective reportage. You see it a lot in politics these days, but the problem is particularly evident in sports reporting, and part of the problem is because too many media outlets sup at the media buffets, and too many "independent journalists" (read: bloggers, writers for exposure, etc.) are willing to feast on helpfully-supplied spin doctoring and content rather than employ actual journalistic principles and procedures.

That has allowed these entities to be more brazen about their access granting and more demanding of reporters, because they know that market share is rapidly supplanting accuracy as motivators for many outlets. Those outlets know that someone else with lower standards and overhead are more willing to bend for these entities and, consequently, they receive more perqs.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The complicating factor, of course, is that there is a growing trend of treating the press as a de facto publicity mechanism rather than a source of objective reportage. You see it a lot in politics these days, but the problem is particularly evident in sports reporting, and part of the problem is because too many media outlets sup at the media buffets, and too many "independent journalists" (read: bloggers, writers for exposure, etc.) are willing to feast on helpfully-supplied spin doctoring and content rather than employ actual journalistic principles and procedures.

That has allowed these entities to be more brazen about their access granting and more demanding of reporters, because they know that market share is rapidly supplanting accuracy as motivators for many outlets. Those outlets know that someone else with lower standards and overhead are more willing to bend for these entities and, consequently, they receive more perqs.

Every time I'm on board with this line of thinking I vacillate, when I consider the embedded reporters covering the likes of say a Babe Ruth, who was not (that I know of) ever called out for his womanizing, drunken etc. ways. Now of course that sort of thing was indeed more commonplace then, but still.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Every time I think about this I vacillate, when I think about the embedded reporters covering the likes of say a Babe Ruth, who was not (that I know of) ever called out for his womanizing, drunken ways. Now of course that sort of thing was indeed more commonplace then, but still.

Honestly, I don't care who is womanizing, who is gambling (as long as its not on hockey), who has what political or sexual orientation, as long as it doesn't adversely affect the on ice performance or the clubhouse. There's a line between good sports journalism and the gossip pages.

I am far more interested in the hockey stories which go untold (injuries, personnel decisions, game time decisions and so forth).

I want to know why player A misread a situation or how he became the hero for the night, or did or didn't take a shot, not what was in his post game shots with the boys in the bar.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Honestly, I don't care who is womanizing, who is gambling (as long as its not on hockey), who has what political or sexual orientation, as long as it doesn't adversely affect the on ice performance or the clubhouse. There's a line between good sports journalism and the gossip pages.

I am far more interested in the hockey stories which go untold (injuries, personnel decisions, game time decisions and so forth).

I want to know why player A misread a situation or how he became the hero for the night, or did or didn't take a shot, not what was in his post game shots with the boys in the bar.

I don't care either and think it best to not have any such indiscretions reported. Although it seemed people thoroughly enjoyed blasting Ribeiro for his.

Thing is they aren't able to report most of what you want to know. Lips are sealed, as they don't want to offer anything that can be used against them by the opposition. Best chance of getting most of what you desire is a post game with a player and they've been conditioned with patent answers.

Untold stories are told in historical format and patience will be required there.

I guess people just like to complain, but the situation isn't changing.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
IDK, but seems you might be over exaggerating some perceived negative treatment of the press by the team. Is there any evidence of this?

Nothing that can be shared publicly, but I'm a journalist myself. This information comes from a few different folks who have covered the team. For whatever it's worth, the Coyotes PR department has a reputation in the media for being the most difficult to work with in the league.

As for on the record, off the record - I stand corrected, but if it's reported and there is no source it's basically not worth the bandwidth it's printed within.

I don't agree with that at all. The most interesting information tends to be stuff people don't want their names associated with. It requires a bit of media literacy to separate idle speculation, gamesmanship and real substance, but anonymously sourced material is often quite valuable. That's why the reputation of a journalist or an outlet matters.

Take Elliotte Friedman, for example. No one in the hockey media publishes more substantive information than he does. His 30 Thoughts column is usually my only must-read piece in a given week, filled with trade rumors, tactical decisions and other insider information. Much or most of it is usually unsourced. Friedman has a lot of strong relationships around the league, though, and I imagine this information comes largely from regular conversations with folks in this or that front office. Given his reputation, if he shares an unsourced rumor about a player being on the block, you can bet that player will be moved.

In NHL coverage and the media more generally, anonymous sources are vastly overused, but when deployed responsibly, they are an endlessly important tool for a journalist. Part of the problem, though, is that the atomization of our media landscape and the diminished role of previously revered institutions has made it far more difficult for the average news consumer to be able to keep track of who is legitimate and who is not.

Yup. In 2004, publicists outnumbered journalists 3:1. In 2014, it was 5:1, and I suspect the ratio has gotten worse since. As legitimate press outlets contract and shutter entirely, it becomes easier for institutions to exploit the diminished capabilities of the media for their own messaging. Social media and other modes of communication also increasingly allow institutions to bypass traditional media entirely. It's no coincidence that many companies have merged their public relations and marketing operations into one department.

That said, publicists still need journalists far more than journalists need publicists.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Pho

Interesting take on the Coyotes PR dept.

There is only one Elliott Friedman and I agree with him being a source, but it seems he's about the only one who can indeed be counted on as most accurate. Which kind of leads to the watering down of the media that you elude to later.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There is only one Elliott Friedman and I agree with him being a source, but it seems he's about the only one who can indeed be counted on as most accurate. Which kind of leads to the watering down of the media that you elude to later.

There are others, like Bobby Mac. If he says it, it straight up happened. You just have to know who to trust.

Craig's problem is that he will drop a nugget 6 months after it was pertinent, and even then he will only give you half of the story. He has completely given up over the last few years in terms of effort. The IA clowns clearly gave him no way out, but he should have cultivated contacts to maintain relevance. Only pushing one particular narrative has ruined what little credibility he had.

I would kill to have a local beat reporter on Michael Russo's level. Hell, just one to be shared with every team in the valley. The ones we have now contribute nothing.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's not just the reporters. The website is tied to the radio station that has the Coyotes games, and the station is some how tied, if only by Bickley, to the only newspaper in the city.

Media management clearly, clearly want to shade the reporting towards the Coyotes spin.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Excited to only to be free of Playfair but also excited to have Scott Allen in the fold. Especially now that we've picked up Demers. I'm loving this conceptually:

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Demers
Chychrun-Schenn
KConn-Clendening

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
We probably can still use KConn as an extra body for injuries, but I'm not really sure what his purpose is at the moment tactically. If everyone's healthy I can see swapping out Schenn for Clendening or vice versa.

Because KConn was pretty useless offensively last season and he's not as good as Schenn defensively. Maybe he turns that around but I kinda doubt it.

rt

May 13, 2004
KConn isn't good at anything but he's really not that bad at anything if his minutes are limited. He's big, rangy, mobile, doesn't make a ton of stupid mistakes and can sit for 20 games and be plopped right into the lineup. He's also fairly cheap. He's not a good 5th or even 6th defenseman but he's a fine 7th or 8th D. At least that's how I'm remembering. After all, he's very easy to ignore/forget.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
We probably can still use KConn as an extra body for injuries, but I'm not really sure what his purpose is at the moment tactically. If everyone's healthy I can see swapping out Schenn for Clendening or vice versa.

Because KConn was pretty useless offensively last season and he's not as good as Schenn defensively. Maybe he turns that around but I kinda doubt it.

He can be our 13th forward too! :sarcasm:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
He did play forward one game last year.

bRx1Cwj.png

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Well, from my perspective, KConn seems to be better defensively than Clendening, so having that flexibility (if an injury occurs) is probably a good thing. The question is, is that 1 million worth paying to a player that may only play 25-35 games?

Once Chychrun returns, I suppose we could send him or Clendening down if Tocc feels we need an additional forward instead of 2 D-men scratched.

With Demers added, I suppose we could see Hjalms move to the LD and Demers up with OEL if one or the other struggles or another D-man injured

rt

May 13, 2004
The Allen hire I can understand and appreciate.

The MacLean hire I am extremely skeptical of. I hate to be the Debbie Downer but...

PP% NHL Rank:

02/03 NJD: (First NHL AC Job)
03/04 NJD: 30th out of 30
04/05 NJD: (Lock Out)
05/06 NJD: 18th out of 30
06/07 NJD: 15th out of 30
07/08 NJD: 21th out of 30
08/09 NJD: 16th out of 30
09/10 NJD: (Hired as AHL HC)
10/11 NJD: 29th out of 30 (Promoted to NHL HC and fired mid season)
11/12 CAR: 20th out of 30 (mid season replacement as NHL AC)
12/13 CAR: 29th out of 30
13/14 CAR: 28th out of 30

...this is EXTREMELY damning stuff. I know that I said the "fit is more important than the sum of past accomplishments" but this is REALLY terrible. That's his entire NHL coaching career right there. He's been the Forwards/PP coach every years he's been an NHL AC and he's had a consistently ineffective to terrible PP every single year. All of them are bad. Not one season with an effective PP.

The average PP% Rank of his 8 NHL AC seasons is 22nd out of 30.

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

The Carolina teams were pretty bad. None made the playoffs but they weren't terrible and weren't without some offensive weapons.

The Devils, though, were actually good during his time there. Consistently made the playoffs with him as AC and had some star power during his entire tenure. And yet the PP was just trash by comparison.

08-09 Division Winners
07-08 4th Seed in East
06-07 Division Winners
05-06 Division Winners
03-04 6th Seed in East
02-03 Division Winners

That's 4/6 seasons where they won their division and 6/6 season where they qualified for the playoffs (and never even as low as the last two seeds).

And yet...PP%

...it's no wonder he was out of coaching. I'd say he probably should've stayed out of coaching. This is truly unacceptable.
Yep.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Recently I was trying to find the contract terms we gave to Allen and MacLean. Couldn't find it.

Hopefully 1-year deals. I'd happily extend Allen. I'd seek a replacement for MacLean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad