Confirmed with Link: John MacLean and Scott Allen to join Coyotes Coaching Staff

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Really underwhelming, even given the circumstances. Hope to see a sterling explanation from Tocchet.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an "Ah Ha" lightbulb moment during Tocchet's explanation. He's lauded as a great communicator but I think that's exclusively among "hockey people" and doesn't seem to apply to the average fan. He's a bit of a mush mouth when addressing the media, honesty. The only way you are going to warm up to this staff is through results. It will be actions not words that will dictate perception. Which is fine in the long term but definitely ratchets up the anxiety in the short term.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
MacLean finally given the job in '10 (after Brent Sutter abruptly quit during the summer), Devils had a terrible start 9-22-2 and he was fired before Christmas. Kovalchuk was a factor, as he signed the huge contract (and was an entitled ***)

Kovalchuk is a lightning rod, but I think one overlooked factor the Devils falling on their faces during MacLean's short tenure was the defense.

My memory's a bit fuzzy, but I think Anton Volchenkov got hurt early in the season and Bryce Salvador missed the entire year. They called up a bunch of warm bodies from the AHL who immediately got hurt and/or were ineffective. They were all left handed too, which didn't help. They were already below average NHLers and now they were asked to play their weak side. Finally Mark Fayne got called up and he fit if only because he was a righty.

Under MacLean, I think the Devils used something like 13 different defensemen in less than two months which is pretty unusual. After MacLean was let go, the defense got healthy and the team went on a 2nd half run with Jacques Lemaire.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He's lauded as a great communicator but I think that's exclusively among "hockey people" and doesn't seem to apply to the average fan.

I suspect he's less well thought of in hockey circles than you think in terms of being the captain of the ship. That, in combination with potential relocation and the late start, means weak candidates.

By virtue of room and roster improvements, he and his staff should reap some easy gains, but it's still a pretty challenging situation.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Not thrilled with these names, but they're replacing playfair and brown (who I liked, but the PP was still pretty putrid so Meh). Still should be a net positive.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wasn't there a lot of scorn for Canadian media who suggested the very same a month ago??
I suspect he's less well thought of in hockey circles than you think in terms of being the captain of the ship. That, in combination with potential relocation and the late start, means weak candidates.

By virtue of room and roster improvements, he and his staff should reap some easy gains, but it's still a pretty challenging situation.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As others have expressed, I'll also give them a shot. Perhaps Tocchet already has certain Offensive and Defensive strategies in mind and the potential ACs have solid experience within that context. Considering the timing, I would guess both ACs will only be on 1-2 season contracts while Tocchet assembles a more "coachworthy" team for next season.

Also, since it's Tocchet's first season, there will most likely be a fairly long transition period (perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of a season) while he figures out what works and what possible deficiencies need to be filled by 2018-2019.

At least I know I'll be patient going into the upcoming season...

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Here's a thought - Morgan reported one of the AC vacancies could be filled this week. Chayka could be negotiating with both MacLean and Allen for one of the positions with the second opening being filled by another candidate.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gambo's tweet and Morgan's reply indicate otherwise. Those two tweets together have me 95% sure these are the two and they'll announce it this week.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That means it's done. What terms could these beggars possibly be choosers about? On both sides.

:laugh:These beggars know the Coyotes are in a jam for coaches, so maybe they are holding out for a bit more $ or term.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
:laugh:These beggars know the Coyotes are in a jam for coaches, so maybe they are holding out for a bit more $ or term.

Not sure how much the assistants really matter, they can have less NHL experience for sure. Ideally you would want one of them to have more experience. I would gamble more on an up and coming assistant then I would an inexperienced head coach.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure how much the assistants really matter, they can have less NHL experience for sure. Ideally you would want one of them to have more experience. I would gamble more on an up and coming assistant then I would an inexperienced head coach.

Which AC is classified as an up and coming?

rt

May 13, 2004
Which AC is classified as an up and coming?

These are definitely not inspiring hires, that's for sure. It is a crapshoot under any circumstance, though. They might be a good fit. No reason to doubt that really. That fit is more important than the sum of their professional accomplishments prior to taking this job, anyway. That's how hiring folks in support roles goes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Dude, Jakey. See that "mutli" button next to the quote button? Click that on every post that you would like to respond to and on the last one, press that quote button. Boom, your posts don't take up a page.

Don't give me s---. People post every 15 seconds when a Coyote game is on, and no one says anything to them.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
These are definitely not inspiring hires, that's for sure. It is a crapshoot under any circumstance, though. They might be a good fit. No reason to doubt that really. That fit is more important than the sum of their professional accomplishments prior to taking this job, anyway. That's how hiring folks in support roles goes.

Well, I always like rooting for an underdog and we sure are that at the moment.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't give me s---. People post every 15 seconds when a Coyote game is on, and no one says anything to them.

GDTs are a different matter.

Quoting bunch of posts in a row separately with the same one or two word reply tends to be considered spam. Likewise for quoting a long single multi-paragraph posts with a one word replies or emojis. (Site Rules, Rule 3)

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Rabbit's reasonable Jake, he's not one of your rivalries. Please consider taking his advice.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Dude, Jakey. See that "mutli" button next to the quote button? Click that on every post that you would like to respond to and on the last one, press that quote button. Boom, your posts don't take up a page.

Well, I always like rooting for an underdog and we sure are that at the moment.

bro, different people post every 15 seconds and it's a GDT that usually expires the next day.

Quoting bunch of posts in a row separately with the same one or two word reply tends to be considered spam. Likewise for quoting a long single multi-paragraph posts with a one word replies or emojis. (Site Rules, Rule 3)

Yeah how dare he politely try to show you something new. [mod]

He was being helpful Jake.

Rabbit's reasonable Jake, he's not one of your rivalries. Please consider taking his advice.

Just trying out the "multi" button :sueme:

Oh, almost forgot, let me comment on the coaches rumor. Coaches good, no coaches bad. :nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
bro, different people post every 15 seconds and it's a GDT that usually expires the next day.

Yeah how dare he politely try to show you something new. [mod]

He was being helpful Jake.

Is this better.:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad