LeBrun: John Klingberg and/or Joel Edmundson to the Oilers at the deadline

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Giving up assets to get two players who will walk 3 months later is such an oiler move
Time is ticking on McDavid and Drai. They’ll be UFAs at the end of their respective contracts. These are their prime years. McDavid won’t be better at 29 than he is at 26, which he turns in a few weeks.

Drai is already 27 and has just two years left on his deal after this. They can’t let that guy play thru his contract year. So they’ll need a decision next offseason. If they are a playoff team this year, next season will be a brutal white knuckle affair. Because these guys won’t resign to play for low lottery picks.

They can’t plan for the future. Their future is today because both those guys will walk if Edmonton is a non contender team.

Last edited:

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Do you not understand that Fowler has a 6.5 mil cap hit for 4 years? There are only 3 teams in the NHL that can fit him without sending back significant cap to the Ducks. Not many team can afford him, and even less want to pay that. And he has a 4 team trade list, thats it.

Ans I love the Ducks prospect pools, but I am realistic about when they will be NHL ready. Do you know how rare it is for a 19 year old 2nd rounder defensemen to play in the NHL?
Well it IS how we effectively messed with Fowlers development. So we have experience 😀

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With no retention:
* Eddy for two 2nd rounders

With 50% retention:
* Eddy for a 1st rounder with protection

Eddy at $1.75M for two playoff runs in a flat cap is lots of value. Eddy > Kulak

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Time is ticking on McDavid and Drai. They’ll be UFAs at the end of their respective contracts. These are their prime years. McDavid won’t be better at 29 than he is at 26, which he turns in a few weeks.

Drai is already 27 and has just two years left on his deal after this. They can’t let that guy play thru his contract year. So they’ll need a decision next offseason. If they are a playoff team this year, next season will be a brutal white knuckle affair. Because these guys won’t resign to play for low lottery picks.

They can’t plan for the future. Their future is today because both those guys will walk if Edmonton is a non contender team.

Agreed. Any draft picks the Oilers pick from this point moving forward is a 3-5+ year solution. Time is now and the the West is not that strong aside from the Avs.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
So is it Elliotte Friedman speculating the cost for Edmundson or Klingberg is a 1st and 3rd?
If that's the case, the price for Chychrun must be insane

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No GM during holidays travels to Canada from Anaheim. I offer two seconds… and a contract you want to get rid of for a third in 23’

Anaheim has been askin for a QB for awhile now. That’s my offer for Barrie
I would do this if we had another RD lined up

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Exactly. And Edmundson fits it. Big , rangy, D first style. Mean streak, leadership AND cost controlled multiple years

Maybe Petry played his best hockey with Edmundson…🤭
I don't get why Montreal is trying to push Edmundson on the Oilers. If he is so good you will have a line up willing to pay for him. I seen in other threads with Edmundson involved and their fans are responding the same way. Edmundson isn't going over well on HF boards maybe real GM view it differently.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I don't get why Montreal is trying to push Edmundson on the Oilers. If he is so good you will have a line up willing to pay for him. I seen in other threads with Edmundson involved and their fans are responding the same way. Edmundson isn't going over well on HF boards maybe real GM view it differently.
Blame it on Elliotte Friedman speculating the cost for Edmundson or Klingberg is a 1st and 3rd?
When you read stuff like that above some run with it while other just shit on the player just to get a response.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Neither was Chiarot. People on HF are just sick of hearing Edmundson’s name because he’s brought up a lot. That’s one of the many annoying thing about our fanbase. There’s a lot of us out here very active on multiple threads.

At some point I thought that Halifax kid was doing at least half of HF’s post for a while. Dude is everywhere

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Sadly Klingberg on the Oilers would be their second best dman. He may be one dimensional but he's still far better than everyone else but Nurse. And even then Nurse isn't that much better than him.

The Oilers are a better team with Klingberg and Edmundson on their roster.
Ceci is a better defender then Nurse. If Nurse was a fighter and defended like he does he would be Apollo Creed vs Drago.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Neither was Chiarot. People on HF are just sick of hearing Edmundson’s name because he’s brought up a lot. That’s one of the many annoying thing about our fanbase. There’s a lot of us out here very active on multiple threads.

At some point I thought that Halifax kid was doing at least half of HF’s post for a while. Dude is everywhere
True enough. It also easy to link the Oilers to d men as they need their D over haul. Tough to do with a number 3 Nurse making elite money. I think Holland has 3 choices.1) Trade Nurse for another underachieving D and retain enough to make the cap hit even. In this scenario you hope the other D has less term. Like a 7M D with 5 years left for Nurse with 1.125 million retained making the cap just over 8M each. 2) Get a top pairing RD that is better then Nurse to pair together. Hard thing to do. 3) Over haul the whole D so Nurse has less ice time

Gavrikov Ceci
Nurse Barrie
Edmundson Bouchard

Holland isn't capable of that many moves so option 3 is a pipe dream. A matter of fact all are beyond Hollands ability

Option for is blow it all up and start over. The return on McDavid and Draisaitl would get a rebuild off to a quick start. Oilers fans would riot and burn down Holland house

Reactions: Macheteops

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He's 100% better than Kulak and Ceci lol
Kulak is an excellent bottom pairing dman, and you need those, but Edmunson is a complete tier above him, at the very lea

Edmundson is a good fit for the Oilers.

A guy like him, Schenn, Gudas, etc. type are needed badly on the Oilers.

I like Schenn the best as a potential trade target
Depends on the cost. Edmundson could help the Oilers. It is the cost. I do not think he is worth a 1st. He also could find chemistry like Toews did for the Avs. I am just not winning to gamble a 1st in this draft year is all I am saying as I mention 3 times

I agree. If the Oilers can fit their team they need to sell off McDavid and Draisailt. The asset would turn around the team quick. Maybe they learn to build the D first

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Depends on the cost. Edmundson could help the Oilers. It is the cost. I do not think he is worth a 1st. He also could find chemistry like Toews did for the Avs. I am just not winning to gamble a 1st in this draft year is all I am saying as I mention 3 times

I wouldn't trade him for at least a 1st IMO
We could talk after that about salary retention and stuff, but a 1st (2023 or 2024) would have to be in play

As far as chemistry goes, he's the guy you need with Barrie. To me, Edmunson is like a 2.0 version of Hal Gill and a guy like him on the back end would allow Barrie to do his things

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I just can't see Edmonton spending a first round pick on Joel Edmundson.

They should take that draft capital and try to put together a bigger package for a defenseman that's going to have more of an impact. Not that Edmundson isn't someone they could probably use, they absolutely could use a guy like that, but if they're parting with a first, they need to set their sights a little higher.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's 100% better than Kulak and Ceci lol
Kulak is an excellent bottom pairing dman, and you need those, but Edmunson is a complete tier above him, at the very least
the stats don’t back that up.
I’m sorry a bottom pairing defender on a team worse defensively than the Oilers doesn’t excite me.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
the stats don’t back that up.
I’m sorry a bottom pairing defender on a team worse defensively than the Oilers doesn’t excite me.

We had them both lol

We know how they look like one beside the other, because we actually watch them for a couple of years

In 2020-2021 Edmunson was arguably our 3rd best d-man (behind Weber and Petry, Chiarot would have been or 4th best) and all of them four were better than Kulak (especially Weber and Petry)

Again, Kulak's a machine, and he can play for a time on 2nd pair, but he truly shine on bottom pairing, where I think he's one of the best.
However, he doesn't hold a candle to Edmunson, and that's a fact.
You can use whatever stats to argue that, but again, we've watch them, so...

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We had them both lol

We know how they look like one beside the other, because we actually watch them for a couple of years

In 2020-2021 Edmunson was arguably our 3rd best d-man (behind Weber and Petry, Chiarot would have been or 4th best) and all of them four were better than Kulak (especially Weber and Petry)

Again, Kulak's a machine, and he can play for a time on 2nd pair, but he truly shine on bottom pairing, where I think he's one of the best.
However, he doesn't hold a candle to Edmunson, and that's a fact.
You can use whatever stats to argue that, but again, we've watch them, so...
So he has had one good season really. That isn’t saying much. Again I agree Kulak is a bottom pairing d. But so is Edmunson. We want to add a legit middle pairing guy, not another bottom guy who can play on a second pairing sometimes with a much better partner. Edmunson is just another Kulak. But different.

Reactions: Ragdoll

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
So he has had one good season really. That isn’t saying much. Again I agree Kulak is a bottom pairing d. But so is Edmunson. We want to add a legit middle pairing guy, not another bottom guy who can play on a second pairing sometimes with a much better partner. Edmunson is just another Kulak. But different.

How about he's having a bad season right now on a team that is going to contend for Connor Bedard?

Also the thing with Edmunson is that he's truly great at one thing: being a defensive defenseman. He'd be the perfect partner to a guy like Barrie

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How about he's having a bad season right now on a team that is going to contend for Connor Bedard?

Also the thing with Edmunson is that he's truly great at one thing: being a defensive defenseman. He'd be the perfect partner to a guy like Barrie
His defensive stats haven been told the last few years. I’d say a guy on a team like Montreal and is 5th on average 5v5 icetime, ain’t a good sign. With his recent injury history and play he is worth a 2nd and a 4th probably?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00