LeBrun: John Klingberg and/or Joel Edmundson to the Oilers at the deadline

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Edmundson is a good fit for the Oilers.

A guy like him, Schenn, Gudas, etc. type are needed badly on the Oilers.

I like Schenn the best as a potential trade target

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
As much as i agree with you as a habs fan, there is one constant in this league : big meany defensemen always get overrated by GMs.

I wouldn't be against something around Poolparty vs Edmundson tho
As a habs fan, absolutely no thank you. I want no part in JP. He is awful and Edmundson is more impactful that him at this point.

I wouldn’t take JP for free.

Reactions: BLNY

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Edmundson is a good fit for the Oilers.

A guy like him, Schenn, Gudas, etc. type are needed badly on the Oilers.

I like Schenn the best as a potential trade target
He’s the right type of player but Oilers should be aiming higher. If they are spending good assets they need a meaningful upgrade, not a marginal one. Adding to the bottom pair pile isn’t going to accomplish that.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
We just traded 2 top dmen that we’re both willing to stay here cheaper, last offseason. If verbeek doesn’t see fowler as part of the team going forward and he can find trade value on him, he’ll be gone too.

Personally I hope he’s at the very least potentially listening to offers, as I don’t see fowler as someone that will be around when we’re trending up… the saving grace for fowler is most of our dmen coming up are prob 1+ year away…. So fowler may stick around as training wheels on the backend

Have to agree. Fowler has been so-so, but does have value on the open market. Shutting down the idea of Fowler being sent this deadline to someone should be explored. I also feel that some of these defenseman the Ducks drafted could make a jump next season. Everyone keeps forgetting Warren is a 6’4 body 230+. And what makes it pivotal? He was one of the last to be sent back to juniors during rookie camp.

Who knows where his development is now, but some of these defenseman may turn heads next training camp. Didn’t Anaheim already sign Minty on ELC? That’s another thing to think about with the prospects

Last edited:

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I don’t get why the Oilers would need Klingberg when they have Barrie, Ceci and Bouchard on the right side. A second pair left dman makes a lot of sense though.
If they were to trade Barrie for Klingberg it would make sense seeing that Barrie's offense has not been as consistent but he still has his defensive lapses. If Klingberg can produce more PPG then it would still be an upgrade.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
If they were to trade Barrie for Klingberg it would make sense seeing that Barrie's offense has not been as consistent but he still has his defensive lapses. If Klingberg can produce more PPG then it would still be an upgrade.

I’m on board for the Barrie trade. Klingberg is obviously a rental. And Barrie’s pace of the game matches Anaheim pace of the game. What doesn’t make sense is the cap Edmonton can’t afford. Where do we even that out at?

I believe in our prospects come training camp. There’s Minty who just signed his ELC with Anaheim, and we have Noah Warren. I described them above. But that cap issue is going to cause problems to wherever he goes. And rightfully so…. Maybe Anaheim just waits for a deadline deal for teams to be desperate for Klingberg

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
I’m on board for the Barrie trade. Klingberg is obviously a rental. And Barrie’s pace of the game matches Anaheim pace of the game. What doesn’t make sense is the cap Edmonton can’t afford. Where do we even that out at?

I believe in our prospects come training camp. There’s Minty who just signed his ELC with Anaheim, and we have Noah Warren. I described them above. But that cap issue is going to cause problems to wherever he goes. And rightfully so…. Maybe Anaheim just waits for a deadline deal for teams to be desperate for Klingberg
between LTIR and a possible 3rd trading partner for cap retention I think the numbers could work if both GMs were motivated enough to make it happen.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
between LTIR and a possible 3rd trading partner for cap retention I think the numbers could work if both GMs were motivated enough to make it happen.
I’m all for it, but many others aren’t. I like his cap hit, and Barrie could work this with fast forward group. That cap is a problem though for Edmonton, and respectively so

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Have to agree. Fowler has been so-so, but does have value on the open market. Shutting down the idea of Fowler being sent this deadline to someone should be explored. I also feel that some of these defenseman the Ducks drafted could make a jump next season. Everyone keeps forgetting Warren is a 6’4 body 230+. And what makes it pivotal? He was one of the last to be sent back to juniors during rookie camp.

Who knows where his development is now, but some of these defenseman may turn heads next training camp. Didn’t Anaheim already sign Minty on ELC? That’s another thing to think about with the prospects
And you still ignore the issues with trading Fowler for any real value.

Are you Warrens mom or something? I think you have mentioned him and the fact that he was a late cut from training camp in like every post. Also ELCs being signed means literally nothing. It is standard to sign your highly drafted guys asap. It doesn’t mean they will be in the NHL soon.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
And you still ignore the issues with trading Fowler for any real value.

Are you Warrens mom or something? I think you have mentioned him and the fact that he was a late cut from training camp in like every post. Also ELCs being signed means literally nothing. It is standard to sign your highly drafted guys asap. It doesn’t mean they will be in the NHL soon.

Fowler does have value. Top 4 stay at home D does have value on the market. If you’re not high on the prospects Anaheim has? Fine? So be it….. but some of these players can possibly play next season. Especially Minty

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
As much as i agree with you as a habs fan, there is one constant in this league : big meany defensemen always get overrated by GMs.

I wouldn't be against something around Poolparty vs Edmundson tho

This is true…. But we’re all chasing the next Pronger and Chara right? I mean I think it’s fair for GMs to assess like such. Everyone wants size on the back end. Heck I know my team needs it

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Fowler does have value. Top 4 stay at home D does have value on the market. If you’re not high on the prospects Anaheim has? Fine? So be it….. but some of these players can possibly play next season. Especially Minty
Do you not understand that Fowler has a 6.5 mil cap hit for 4 years? There are only 3 teams in the NHL that can fit him without sending back significant cap to the Ducks. Not many team can afford him, and even less want to pay that. And he has a 4 team trade list, thats it.

Ans I love the Ducks prospect pools, but I am realistic about when they will be NHL ready. Do you know how rare it is for a 19 year old 2nd rounder defensemen to play in the NHL?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Montreal possibly able to retain on Klingberg If Oilers trade for him. Want a 2nd in return.

Anaheim wouldn’t need help on retention. Anaheim has the most cap in the NHL once his contract is traded. Bigger deal can be made with one team instead of involving two teams.

That’s what gives Anaheim leverage here without needing a third team. They have plenty of free cap space. Even cap dumps.

Anaheim is looking at close to 20 million in free cap space without Klingberg

Last edited:

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022
Do you not understand that Fowler has a 6.5 mil cap hit for 4 years? There are only 3 teams in the NHL that can fit him without sending back significant cap to the Ducks. Not many team can afford him, and even less want to pay that. And he has a 4 team trade list, thats it.

Ans I love the Ducks prospect pools, but I am realistic about when they will be NHL ready. Do you know how rare it is for a 19 year old 2nd rounder defensemen to play in the NHL?

Anaheim has 13 million in cap space available. If Verbeek does a separate transaction and dumps Klingberg somewhere that leaves Anaheim at 20 million available.

Cap dumps can play a role at the deadline. Retentions, who knows. Likely picks coming back like last season with Manson, Lindholm.

And I don’t think Fowler contract is that bad anyway for a top defenseman. He’s had a career with .5 PPG consistently with Anaheim. Retaining on it isn’t that bad for a trade at 3.25 million. Depending what’s offered.

Reading the forums…. So many trade threads are asking for a stay at home defenseman. Not an offensive defenseman 🤷‍♂️…… it depends on price. And what’s offered as always

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I think Edmundson is a good fit, he's better than Kulak and Ceci. But Klingberg sucks at playing defense.
Edmundson might be better than Kulak, but not Ceci. Plus they play different sides anyway. They might even end up as partners.

Klingberg is flawed thinking by Edmonton unless they are planning to move one of Barrie or Bouchard. Trading for Klingberg only makes sense if one of our current RD are on the move.

A 4 team trade list means there are 4 teams he can't block a trade to. If he wants out of Anaheim due to them rebuilding, he can still agree to being traded elsewhere.

I wonder what the asking price might be for Ekholm out of Nashville. Seems like more of what we need there.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Anaheim wouldn’t need help on retention. Anaheim has the most cap in the NHL once his contract is traded. Bigger deal can be made with one team instead of involving two teams.

That’s what gives Anaheim leverage here without needing a third team. They have plenty of free cap space. Even cap dumps.

Anaheim is looking at close to 20 million in free cap space without Klingberg
You can only retain half. Habs could retain 25% more to give Oilers more caproom.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Is there a running list of which defensive Dmen would potentially be available? The list doesn’t start and end with Edmundson, though you’d think so based on Habs fans burning desire to trade every player on their roster over 25.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Is there a running list of which defensive Dmen would potentially be available? The list doesn’t start and end with Edmundson, though you’d think so based on Habs fans burning desire to trade every player on their roster over 25.
With only 8 teams already out of it, list is short of expiring contracts: Luke Schenn, Justin Braun, trio of Ducks Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Kulikov. Plus Chychrun.
Edmundson one more contract year.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I don't think Montreal moves Edmundson unless someone gives them a really good offer. The young kids have been good, but a couple are showing the strain of playing as many minutes as they have been. Wideman only plays everyday in 'tank mode', Matheson is out again, and Savard is on IR.

The 2023 UFA market leaves a lot to be desired. I'd be content to keep him as a vet while the kids mature.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With only 8 teams already out of it, list is short of expiring contracts: Luke Schenn, Justin Braun, trio of Ducks Klingberg, Shattenkirk, Kulikov. Plus Chychrun.
Edmundson one more contract year.
Sparse today.

But I’d think Columbus, Chicago, San Jose, Ottawa, Minnesota, Nashville, Detroit and Buffalo would be responsive to a call. St Louis may join that discussion too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad