Player Discussion John Gibson

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
This could be the year for Gibby to win a Vezina. In my opinion the only reason he hasn't won one already is that the team leans on him SO heavily that he is completely worn out 75% of the way through the season and his stats plummet. He should still be going strong and carrying the Ducks to wins at the end of this shortened season.

Kariya 9

Feb 28, 2014
IIRC this was said by one of the other teams executives before the season

Estn6gEUwAAgvFx

upload_2021-1-27_12-46-23.png

Reactions: Kalv

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I bet over the last 4 years or so Gibby's seen probably 25% more high danger shots than any other goalie in the league. It's bonkers how he still manages to put up big numbers (outside of last year).

Since the beginning of 18-19 he’s second behind Hellebuyck who has faced 819 to Gibsons 811. Hellebuyck has played 11 more games though so on a per game basis Gibson is about a half a chance higher at roughly 7 to 6.5 HDSA/game.

Crazy how high his workload has been.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
What's been going on with Gibson lately? Minus the cakewalk against LA, he has been less than spectacular over the past 4. Any theories?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
What's been going on with Gibson lately? Minus the cakewalk against LA, he has been less than spectacular over the past 4. Any theories?

The team in front of him is shit and he can’t stand in his head for 15 straight games.

JAMRG

Feb 7, 2021
The team in front of him is shit and he can’t stand in his head for 15 straight games.

True, and I get that he has a laid back demeanor, but he has not seemed even remotely upset with the goals he has given up over that stretch. Hoping he's not checking out mentally. He looked like a Vezina favorite through his last shutout.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
True, and I get that he has a laid back demeanor, but he has not seemed even remotely upset with the goals he has given up over that stretch. Hoping he's not checking out mentally. He looked like a Vezina favorite through his last shutout.

This is the same guy who got pulled in a playoff game as was laughing on the bench, that's just who he is.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Gibson is not happy with all the pundits penciling Hellebuyck in as the USA starter. :laugh:

That's the main thing that has me confident he'll sustain his play more this year than the previous few years where he dropped off after the first few weeks.

Reactions: Kalv and bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Historically goalies are not sustaining ''goals saved above expectation'' over the full season much right? Shows what will happen to us if we do not limit the chances we give up
Yep.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I feel like Gibson has always had good starts to seasons. It’s trying to sustain that greatness and staying healthy that has been the issue.

this. Also contrary to what he says about wanting almost all the starts, I feel like he’s better when sharing the workload a bit more than average

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad