Player Discussion John Gibson

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
He isn’t going anywhere IMO. Signed to an extremely reasonable contract the next 5 years and is only 28 years old. The Ducks could be a cup contender by the time he’s 31 if things go right.
Agreed. I want to keep Gibson until someone like Dostal manages to steal the starting job.

Reactions: Hey234

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
It's also amazing how every trade thread on the main board was telling ducks fans he is worth a late first while ducks fans accurately predicted a rebound to old form with a healthy team that is skating better
only because there was a random emergence from terry that no one expected. Everyone here wanted terry's head. I said give terry a chance since he is young, but his leash was getting shorter every year.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Been absolutely excelling out there. Have to think he’s at least in the running, if not the outright favorite, for the Vezina right now. No goalie plays more than him and he’s locked in

Yes, he’s complained about the performance of the team in the last . But as the team has gotten better he’s backed up his talk.

Reactions: Paul4587

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Great goalies can make deep runs for even mediocre teams – 2003 Mighty Ducks, 2021 Habs, etc. I really hope we get into the playoffs and see what happens

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Been absolutely excelling out there. Have to think he’s at least in the running, if not the outright favorite, for the Vezina right now. No goalie plays more than him and he’s locked in

Yes, he’s complained about the performance of the team in the last . But as the team has gotten better he’s backed up his talk.

Agreed. To me he’s been the teams MVP so far. Hopefully he can keep it up, when he’s on there’s only one goalie in the league I take over him.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
He has been great. However, I'd still probably be OK if he wanted to go to a "win now" contender, as long as we got a really good return.

Reactions: Deuce22 and bsu
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia

Damn, that really puts Lundqvist's performance in perspective. Gibson was really owning that stat a few years ago for a period of time but in the past two seasons he's a combined -25.4 GSAx (according to MoneyPuck). Last time I checked he was again -5 or something for the season but now he's already +6 so he's improved a lot after getting a bit funky at around December or so.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
He isn’t going anywhere IMO. Signed to an extremely reasonable contract the next 5 years and is only 28 years old. The Ducks could be a cup contender by the time he’s 31 if things go right.

Like 2015 or 2017?

I cut him some slack back in 2015, but no longer. He is truly a ripe early spoil late goalie.

I have zero confidence that he will be there when we really need him in the playoffs.

If we can get the right assets, I say cut bait.

John

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Like 2015 or 2017?

I cut him some slack back in 2015, but no longer. He is truly a ripe early spoil late goalie.

I have zero confidence that he will be there when we really need him in the playoffs.

If we can get the right assets, I say cut bait.

John
What are you talking about? 2015 was on Andersen shitting the bed, not Gibson. The Ducks lost to the predators in 2017 in large part due to the fact that Bernier played game 5 and 6 after Gibson got hurt

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
What are you talking about? 2015 was on Andersen shitting the bed, not Gibson. The Ducks lost to the predators in 2017 in large part due to the fact that Bernier played game 5 and 6 after Gibson got hurt

I think the operative word is hurt.

It was all on Andersen in 2015 because Gibson was out hurt; traditional late season groin injury? Gibson started 20 games that year.

At least he played in the playoffs in 2017.

I guess we should all be thankful that Bryzgalov wasn't hurt in '07.

John

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
We can't keep playing this way with Gibby having to face so many shots. He'll burn out physically and mentally again.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
We can't keep playing this way with Gibby having to face so many shots. He'll burn out physically and mentally again.

Everyone else is playing like they're burned out physically and mentally. This break can't come soon enough.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
With the shutout victory against the Stars John Gibson has tied Guy Hebert for 2nd most wins in franchise history with 173

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad