Player Discussion John Gibson

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
2016 (this season): .908 SV%, 2.58 GAA, 1 shutout (12-9-7 in 28 games)
2017: .957 SV%, 1.36 GAA, 2 shutouts (6-1-1 in 8 games)

He's having a great start to the new year.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's been lights out in 2017. Only half a season in but he's outplayed Andersen so far at a fraction of the salary.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
The present is pretty illuminated, and the future can still be very, very bright.

He's been lights out in 2017. Only half a season in but he's outplayed Andersen so far at a fraction of the salary.
Not seeing much of the prophecy (1/2/3/4) that came from Danish royalty who enjoyed the term "golden boy", who was rather positive he'd be brutally exposed. He actually confirmed that for himself, though. :laugh: Hey, maybe that's really what got Gibson rolling... :D

StormChaser

Jan 25, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
With all his games that went to overtime, especially with 8 that ended in losses that would drop his stats, I wanted to see what his save % in regulation is.

It is a sparkling .928.

Now digging deeper into the games that went to OT and how he fared in regulation in them, he gave up 2 goals or less in 9 of the 11 (1 goal three times, 2 goals five times, and 0 goals once.. the game when Bernier was pulled against SJ). Unfortunately, 8 of these times the team lost in overtime. I think it's fair to say his play was good enough to allow the team to win in regulation in these games.

In the 2 games that went to OT and he gave up more than 2 goals in regulation, the team actually ended up winning. The game on New Year's against Philly.. which was one of his best games when he faced 54 shots.. and when he gave up 5 against Carolina.

just wanted to point this out as even with how good his stats are.. top 10 in both GAA and SV%.. if not for how inept the Ducks are offensively and with break downs defensively in OT, his stats would be even better.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I might have to stop calling him 'The Fish'.... he's been much less floppy lately. Maybe 'The Crab'? :)

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I might have to stop calling him 'The Fish'.... he's been much less floppy lately. Maybe 'The Crab'? :)

Crab invokes images of an agile quick shuffling or scuttling. Not exactly what I picture in Gibson.
77KABLT8InCO4.gif

I say more of a octopus like crawl where his limbs flail around helplessly as he pulls himself excruciatingly slowly across the ground while the rest of his body is dragged behind him.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
good point... although, i was trying to integrate his crabby interviews with his playing style.

Oct 18, 2011
7th best GAA among goalies over 30 GP
4th best Save % among goalies over 30 GP

Looks like playing alot more has been good for him, he's cut out the soft goals and is making more big time saves. also his puck handling has improved and I think that's helped as well.

Lupul1990

Aug 30, 2006
Has Gibson been using tighter goalie pants already or does he have to switch yet? The new pants became mandatory since yesterday.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He still flops and gets a bit too chaotic at times, but not near as much, and his lateral movement has been better. He was excellent last night.

kenski

Feb 25, 2016
Homeboy looks tired as heck. But who wouldn't be, I guess. He's been working his tail off.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Homeboy looks tired as heck. But who wouldn't be, I guess. He's been working his tail off.

To be fair, he always has that "tired" look in his non-consequential actions, like getting up extraordinarily slow when the team has the puck. That makes it tough to get a read on when real tiredness is setting in with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad