Player Discussion John Gibson

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Perhaps he can retire as the best goalie ever to do not win the Vezina, this will be his accomplishment.

Gibby will probably win one or more Vezinas as his performance is being touted more and more by the media nowadays. Gibby's situation reminds me of a fellow Anaheim superstar in the MLB's Angels' Mike Trout. Trout has surpassed players statistically, both legacy and advanced, but because he's stuck on a non-playoff team and he's young, he gets passed up for AL MVP, being a runner up often. The year he won the AL MVP, it wasn't his best output in his career. He won it because he received so much notoriety from his previous years, but his output was still great compared to the rest of the field.

Like Trout, Gibby is still improving his game year after year. Trout won the AL MVP twice. Once in 2014, his team did go to the playoffs as well as won their Division. Another in 2016, where his team owned a losing record. Then, injury had beset Trout ever since. Trout had 45 homers this past year, but his season was stopped short due to injury. He was easily on his way to 50 HRs. The highest HR in the whole league was 53 HRs and the highest in the AL conference was 48, where that player had 118 at-bats more than Trout. I digress... Let's hope that Gibby can remain healthy b/c that's his only detriment from constantly being in the Vezina talks now and into the future! The more the Ducks win, the more noise Gibby gets b/c the Eastern conference fans and GMs are fast asleep when games start at 10 pm or later to where they don't witness what Gibby accomplishes.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Gibson has been struggling lately. Anyone else think we should start playing Miller more?

Miller should start next game. It’s against Tampa so hopefully the Lightning play down to them especially if the number 2 goalie is starting. That’s usually their M.O.

At this point it is more about developing the young guys who are starting to hit the scoresheet and can’t really go into these games without your top D pairing thinking they can just pull off a win. Gibson just had to save one of those soft goals and they win in regulation. Really frustrating.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibby's been unusually average compared to the franchise player we've all become accustomed with. We need him to steal wins as he's our franchise player. Without him playing like his usual superstar self, it's gonna make it that much more difficult for the team to steal extra games.

Welp, I'm down with "Miller Time". Gibby needs an extended break as a wake up call too. We needed him to slam the door shut today, especially with a 4-0 lead. ::: I'm cringing typing that blown lead! :::

Reactions: Leonardo87

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
As it turns out, when the team infront of the goaltender refuses to play, it doesn't matter who's in net.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
John Gibson with his 1st shutout of the season tonight against the Islanders woot woot

Hopefully this is the start of him playing great again.

Reactions: Mallard

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Hate to bring up old threads but Gibson has been mediocre lately. Allowing a bad a game bad. People seems to think he stoppee caring. To me thats not a good sign..

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Statistically he's really been mediocre as well. I remember last year him being miles ahead of any other goalie in the league in goals saved above expected (xGA). Based on naturalstatrick.com data he did save a total of ~19 xGA last season in all situations. In seasons before the same number is ~24 (2017-18) and ~19 (2016-17). This year he is ~-9 already.

Here's a chart for adjusted 5o5 data of this season to compare with other goalies in the league. Still far away from Martin Jones bad, but he used to top this chart for the past three seasons. Daily Goalie Charts | Charting Hockey

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hate to bring up old threads but Gibson has been mediocre lately. Allowing a bad a game bad. People seems to think he stoppee caring. To me thats not a good sign..

Well the D turning over the puck right in front of him has not helped his stats. Hard to stop some of those shots. He has seemed to come up strong in OT and SOs to help his team get some points. I also look back at a lot of the 1-2 losses they had. He was keeping them in it to get back but the offense continued to struggle.

He has not been great by any means but more average and that’s not good with a team who struggles to score. Teams like Tampa and Toronto tend to outscore their D and Goaltending problems. Ducks don’t have that luxury unfortunately, so really need Gibson to get back, or at least close to being Gibson.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Ah god, if he turns out to be the next Cory Schneider where he just never has a good team in front of him until he's no longer good any more, I will be devastated.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ah god, if he turns out to be the next Cory Schneider where he just never has a good team in front of him until he's no longer good any more, I will be devastated.

That is why I want them to make a big move for like a PLD, Barkov, or Laine. Wasting Gibson’s prime years. Granted this team is not a dumpster fire but they are average at best and that is not good enough to compete in this division or league.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If he can pull off a Giguere-esque run in a couple of years and a few of the young guys progress, there could be a miracle run. If Steel improves on how he's looked early this year, Comtois becomes a consistent threat, Terry figures out how to put it together in the NHL, and Zegras, Drysdale, and this years 1st rounder break out by then with Lindholm and Fowler still in their primes... I can dream, right?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You just hope we dont run him into the ground like we did the last RC year

Need to score more goals, nuff said. Fix the PP, spend more time in opponents zone, and just keep attacking. I loved how Lindholm went over to Gibson after he scored the EN goal, and said something along the lines "that was for you."

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
IIRC this was said by one of the other teams executives before the season

Estn6gEUwAAgvFx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad