Player Discussion John Gibson

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I agree that he has started hot and then his play has tailed off. That could be attributed to a lot of things such as a shitty team, reversion to the mean, injury, fatigue, lack of motivation, etc. I like the idea of him sharing the load more.

Reactions: DavidBL and bsu

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Gibson and Rakell
For
Yamamoto and Koskinen

Obviously the Oilers add here, but what's the ask?

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Yeah, I don't even know where to begin. Gibson alone should be worth Yamamoto+, especially for a team like the Oil that are stacked offensively but suck majorly on the defensive side of the game.

I guess Gibson and Rakell should fetch Yamamoto, Puljujärvi, Lavoie and a 2022 1st Round Pick.

We don't have any use for any of your other players, sadly, and I would not want Koskinen whatsoever in return.

Reactions: Kalv

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
So down grade both players tremendously. Sounds pretty idiotic.

I was under the impression the Ducks were rebuilding and would want picks and prospects for their assets. Rakell is most certainly being traded either way. Gibson is a big ask but that's the point of asking what the Ducks would want... Lol

Yeah, I don't even know where to begin. Gibson alone should be worth Yamamoto+, especially for a team like the Oil that are stacked offensively but suck majorly on the defensive side of the game.

I guess Gibson and Rakell should fetch Yamamoto, Puljujärvi, Lavoie and a 2022 1st Round Pick.

We don't have any use for any of your other players, sadly, and I would not want Koskinen whatsoever in return.

Well, Koskinen is there for salary. He's a UFA at the end of the year, so not wanting him would be a strange hill to die on.

Take out Puljujarvi and add in Samorukov and a 2nd? Or is Pool party integral? I don't think Edmonton would trade him.

Perhaps Gibson is less available than I suspected.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Well, Koskinen is there for salary. He's a UFA at the end of the year, so not wanting him would be a strange hill to die on.

Take out Puljujarvi and add in Samorukov and a 2nd? Or is Pool party integral? I don't think Edmonton would trade him.

Perhaps Gibson is less available than I suspected.
is it really though? with Gibson we got him signed up long term. we trade him for a pending UFA goalie that either walks or we extend to a deal that won't be as good as Gibson's. If he don't re-sign him then all we have is Stolarz as our starter since we don't know when Dostal is going to be ready.

I don't really see the value in Samorukov, he's not replacing Lindholm or Fowler and I don't see him as much of an upgrade over whatever LHD prospect we already have. I'm not really seeing the value for us when we're trading Gibson to a divisional rival in this deal at all.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
28 save shutout yesterday for his 1st shutout of the season :popcorn:
His body language didn’t look nearly as bad last night , as it had earlier in the season…. I wonder if he was talked to about it by coaches or even the captains of the team

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
or people were just reading into things a little to hard...

Gibby has often behaved oddly in all his time here that it just seems normal. I know this off-season Stephens tried painting Gibby as a player who wants out of Anaheim and threw the team under the bus, but I didn't see it that way at all. A week later, the video surfaced where all those quotes were used in Stephens' article were plucked from actually revealed that Gibby wants to stay, wants to be better, and wants his team to be better. Gibby's always behaved like an odd duck.

Now, Gibby's play on ice can easily be detectable when he's given up because we've seen games where he carries the team to steal many victories. Usually, it's soft goals that Gibby gives up is when you know he's not on point.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Gibby has often behaved oddly in all his time here that it just seems normal. I know this off-season Stephens tried painting Gibby as a player who wants out of Anaheim and threw the team under the bus, but I didn't see it that way at all. A week later, the video surfaced where all those quotes were used in Stephens' article were plucked from actually revealed that Gibby wants to stay, wants to be better, and wants his team to be better. Gibby's always behaved like an odd duck.

Now, Gibby's play on ice can easily be detectable when he's given up because we've seen games where he carries the team to steal many victories. Usually, it's soft goals that Gibby gives up is when you know he's not on point.

Agreed. He has been an elite goaltender in this league, and is in the prime of his career. I'm 100% ok with him wanting to win and expressing that he wants the team to be better overall. Isn't that what you'd want from your starting goalie?

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Agreed. He has been an elite goaltender in this league, and is in the prime of his career. I'm 100% ok with him wanting to win and expressing that he wants the team to be better overall. Isn't that what you'd want from your starting goalie?

It's what you want from everyone on the team. It's a good mindset to have. Hopefully it's contagious.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
At the end of the day, he's a goalie and goalies are fickle. They get hot and they got cold, sometimes for weeks, sometimes for months, sometimes for years.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
John Gibson stats.png

Having a nice season so far :popcorn:

Reactions: Leonardo87

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This Canucks game he got us the win, but yeah at least he doesn't have to do it every night this season so far :laugh:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Amazing how just having a competitive team makes a world of difference
It's also amazing how every trade thread on the main board was telling ducks fans he is worth a late first while ducks fans accurately predicted a rebound to old form with a healthy team that is skating better

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Canucks have some fire power. I actually thought they looked really good last night. No idea how they aren't near the top of the division but I suspect coaching may be a problem.

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
It’s prolly at least a year too early for the ducks to have a breakout season. that said if we can somehow have a competitive year, the player development and culture benefits alone with such a young roster would be worth more than any top 5 pick.

keep Gibson around unless someone blows Anaheim’s socks off with a offer. Assuming he’s happy here of course.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

StarDucks

Sep 14, 2020
Canucks have some fire power. I actually thought they looked really good last night. No idea how they aren't near the top of the division but I suspect coaching may be a problem.
I’ve been watched quite a few Canucks games this year. That was by far their best performance of the year. I’d also argue Anaheim was very sloppy with its puck management, particularly on breakouts.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I like that he is building back his trade value. I don't expect many teams looking to upgrade their goalie by the deadline, maybe the Oilers...but I would expect a big return to trade to our rival. I wonder if Solomon would have the authority to make a big trade if Murray resigns.... But this probably doesn't happen if we can make the playoffs at this rate...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad