Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Probably means nobody they wanted was willing. Haha.

I figure no GM was willing to give so much power to a coach (which I agree with). No GM wants to come into a situation where the coach has more power/influence than his boss.

One horrible mistake after another for this horrible organization.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
All the hand-wringing about age - relax. IA has basically told the world that Tippett is the Boss, so logically the new GM is going to be Tippett's gopher. All the gopher needs to do is collect all the data from the scouts, drop it into his spreadsheet, present it to the Boss and then go do the Boss's bidding. It doesn't take a 50 year old with 25 years experience to do this. This particular gopher has extra cool spreadsheets, so yeah, why not?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Why? We know nothing of Chayka's credentials. The only thing that has ever really surfaced about Chayka's contributions to this team is that he was instrumental in the Brad Richardson signing due to analytics.

You never know. I trust someone who has worked a year under Maloney over someone who is stuck in the prehostoric times in the NHL. Just my opinion.

You realize he would likely play second fiddle to DT, right? That's why most are uncomfortable with this. Hard to imagine this guy trying to tell DT what to do and what our direction will be.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
You realize he would likely play second fiddle to DT, right? That's why most are uncomfortable with this. Hard to imagine this guy trying to tell DT what to do and what our direction will be.

If we accept that he is second fiddle to DT, then why would management select someone that will launch power struggle? Chayka is a logical choice if DT is the de facto GM.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The point is they have 3 hockey people ahead of their Analytics GM of the future. We need something to support the guy. Throwing him to the wolves is a recipe in disaster. If Tippett occupies one of those slots (and he is) we need at least one other person to support this new structure.

I agree with that. We are putting the cart before the horse here. Let's wait until all the hiring is done and see where we stand.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I figure no GM was willing to give so much power to a coach (which I agree with). No GM wants to come into a situation where the coach has more power/influence than his boss.

One horrible mistake after another for this horrible organization.

It's certainly nothing to be enthused about.

Reminds me of several years ago during the Gretzky era. Team held a get together Q&A for sth's that hadn't yet reupped, I had reupped, but my rep invited me anyway. Real nice affair at Flemmings with free drinks and food - point being ol' Jerry didn't mind spending some quan. I digress.... Amongst the absurd and common questions / complaints - hell someone griped that Howler didn't come to their section enough :facepalm: anyhow, I again digress - one of the questions was basically about getting Gretzky out from behind the bench and GMDM's responds was that it's difficult for him to comment "because he's my boss".

Yeah, not the good set up.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
It's probably not practical from a time management perspective. Tip can't disappear to Boca Raton for 5 days while the season is on. It's a rough job, but someone has to do it.

Send the assistant? Good point though, probably can't even do that in this day and age.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think with everything that's happened so far this off season, winning the lottery has become even more important. That makes the path pretty clear. I don't see how you don't go full youth movement at that point with the top player in the draft along with two or three of our current prospects making the club. If we're stuck at 7th or later, the new DM collective probably puts their stamp on the club with a sledge hammer. Could be scary.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think with everything that's happened so far this off season, winning the lottery has become even more important. That makes the path pretty clear. I don't see how you don't go full youth movement at that point with the top player in the draft along with two or three of our current prospects making the club. If we're stuck at 7th or later, the new DM collective probably puts their stamp on the club with a sledge hammer. Could be scary.

Tossed my Coyote hat on ice when Puljujarvi scored hat trick goal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There's been a trend the last few years of depriving the GM of his power. In the past, the GM was always the guy at the top of the shot-calling pyramid (but for the occasional overly involved owner), but you're seeing more teams experiment with different executive hierarchies and structures. In places like Colorado, Toronto, and Calgary, for example, you don't see that omnipotent GM ruling unilaterally.

If the Coyotes name Chayka their GM, it's clear he wasn't their first choice. Their other pursuits may or may not have turned down the opportunity because they wouldn't have had as much power, and I imagine the resulting structure of the front office would be different depending on the experience and philosophy of whoever becomes general manager, but if Chayka is the guy, it's because the decision-making, negotiations, etc. will be spread out.

The fears about Tippett having a larger say in management are certainly founded, but my worry goes beyond that. I'm as skeptical about his talent evaluation and team-building approach as anyone, but if he has a more hands-on role in management, he'll be less focused on coaching. Whatever you think about his coaching ability, it's definitely going to suffer if he spreads his attention more thinly into other areas, and I don't really trust the rest of the staff to pick up the slack. Today, the Coyotes have one of the best coaches in the league. A move like this could negatively affect both their management and their coaching.

But maybe this is the Coyotes taking the long view after all. Maybe Chayka is just a patsy to hold down the fort until Tippett transitions completely into a GM role, letting Tip time develop Newell Brown into a head coach in the meantime.

Interesting take all around. Good post.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's great Jake. Let's see if you take a critical stand. One time. Ever.

I like to have all the facts before me before I voice my opinion. I don't like going off half cocked like some posters.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The other side to all of this is that maybe b/c Chayka and Tippett have similar focuses in their measurements of analytics, decisions will be made easier going forward. It has been said that Tippett had his own analytics that he put together as a coach (probably not to the level of what Chayka has put together), so if the parts that Tippett favors are similar to Chayka's reporting, then we can't necessarily consider that a bad thing.

Secondly, people were talking about experience on Chayka's end. Well, if the NHL ownership truly is an "old boy's club," I would venture to say that we are in an advantage in that sense. In discussing players, there may be teams that have a distinct lack of analytical information of players on their own teams and other teams. Those teams may have management who is a little higher on the eye test to evaluate players and we know that the eye test can definitely fool some teams. With the profound nature of Chayka's data, I doubt that we will ever be taken in any trade.

The only difficult thing right now is b/c Chayka was hired this past offseason, he has no direct involvement with some of the pick-ups made by Maloney last year at the deadline (Duclair, Letunov, etc.). I think that if any of the prospects do wind up getting traded, it is b/c there is something within the predictive modeling that drives the need to move player A vs. players B, C, D, and E.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
As someone who was very critical of Maloney up until the middle of this past season, I feel like I'm the recipient of "Be careful what you wish for." Just as I was warming up to the job DM did, he got sacked. I would be very curious it this sudden dismissal was over any one specific decision point disagreement, or if the ownership really wanted an analytics guy so bad that they were willing to eat $4. Certainly ownership has showed a willingness to eat salary.

Anyone familiar with Chayka's CV on the boards? I 'd like to know what his past rolls were prior to being hired on by the Coyotes, and how well he did in those roles.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
As someone who was very critical of Maloney up until the middle of this past season, I feel like I'm the recipient of "Be careful what you wish for." Just as I was warming up to the job DM did, he got sacked. I would be very curious it this sudden dismissal was over any one specific decision point disagreement, or if the ownership really wanted an analytics guy so bad that they were willing to eat $4. Certainly ownership has showed a willingness to eat salary.

Anyone familiar with Chayka's CV on the boards? I 'd like to know what his past rolls were prior to being hired on by the Coyotes, and how well he did in those roles.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/arizona-coyotes-john-chayka-advanced-stats-assistant-general-manager-060815

Not certain if this story had been posted already when Chayka was hired, but gives his background and starts to paint a picture regarding analytics on our team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
But maybe this is the Coyotes taking the long view after all. Maybe Chayka is just a patsy to hold down the fort until Tippett transitions completely into a GM role, letting Tip time develop Newell Brown into a head coach in the meantime.

Your whole post was great, but I wanted to address this last part. I would actually not have much problem with this scenario playing out. I think Newell Brown would be a great head coach. I'm not quite so sure about Tippett as GM. Tippett has some distinct biases about player evaluation that he tries to overcome by using his own analytics system, to his credit. I wish he were more inclined to move away from the "Friends of Tippett" mentality, but in fairness Maloney had his own "friends network" (see: basically only making trades with two or three teams, signing or trading for guys who he knew from the Rangers system early on instead of scouting other assets, etc.) so it's not like he was any better in that regard.

All that said, I'd wait to see how Tip would perform as a GM if he got the job before judging. Could be that once he switches hats he widens his worldview a bit beyond the "lotsa try" set, and by that time most of the guys he knew on the Stars will be retired. :naughty:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Ownership will have lied to us if Tippett becomes the GM.

No, they'll have prevaricated. They never said Tippett wouldn't EVENTUALLY become GM. They just said he's not becoming GM right now.

Gotta learn your IceArizonaese.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The point is they have 3 hockey people ahead of their Analytics GM of the future. We need something to support the guy. Throwing him to the wolves is a recipe in disaster. If Tippett occupies one of those slots (and he is) we need at least one other person to support this new structure.

We need somebody like Rick Dudley and another Player Development Coordinator

Dudley is one of the AGM's in Montreal, but oversees all of the scouting efforts.

If you have a Dudley type, Chayka, and a Player Development guy, you can evaluate and scout amateur talent for your team.

Also, knowing Chayka's background, I think he would be a good trade negotiator.

Like Dubas, he would read up on the CBA and everything

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad