Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hope your not basing your opinion on that? Again, all we know is that he does not have any GM experience.

Does he have negotiation experience? Does he have experience managing a group of scouts who are all 10+ years older than him? Does he know how to manage a coach who obviously has a owners ear? If his algorithm isn't the be all or end all we are in trouble but this job is much more than player acquisition and this group of owners should know that. Hell, We have posters on this board who are better qualified to run this team than Chayka.

I'm just saying this has potential to be a rough education. The bar has been raised passed Richardson.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oh probably.

I like Dave Tippett the coach. I fear Dave Tippett who is now essentially calling the shots without anyone to veto him. I think given previous history that fear is justified.

What previous history? Again, we don't know exactly what happened. Maybe DM was the --- in this. We are making up scenarios on what we read and hear and it really isn't fair to all involved. I really liked DM, almost as much as I like DT, but something happened, so now the ownership will do what they think is best. Time will tell if what they do is good or bad. To criticize DM or DT now is just wrong.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Does he have negotiation experience? Does he have experience managing a group of scouts who are all 10+ years older than him? Does he know how to manage a coach who obviously has a owners ear? If his algorithm isn't the be all or end all we are in trouble but this job is much more than player acquisition and this group of owners should know that. Hell, We have posters on this board who are better qualified to run this team than Chayka.

I'm just saying this has potential to be a rough education. The bar has been raised passed Richardson.

With Chayka having no experience, scares the hell out of me, but he could be very well respected by all. I don't think it is the right decision if he is named GM.

hbk, there is nobody that posts on these boards more qualified than Chayka. Your letting your emotions run a little wild here.:)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With Chayka having no experience, scares the hell out of me, but he could be very well respected by all. I don't think it is the right decision if he is named GM.

hbk, there is nobody that posts on these boards more qualified than Chayka. Your letting your emotions run a little wild here.:)

From a people and organizational management perspective I guarantee you there are people better qualified.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What previous history? Again, we don't know exactly what happened. Maybe DM was the --- in this. We are making up scenarios on what we read and hear and it really isn't fair to all involved. I really liked DM, almost as much as I like DT, but something happened, so now the ownership will do what they think is best. Time will tell if what they do is good or bad. To criticize DM or DT now is just wrong.

To believe Tippets hands are clean of influence on Ribeiro, Smith, etc is naive. We have quotes of "get me this guy" and ask yourself who's the filter to say no today? Who's the filter to say that's too high of a price today and what happens if you do(Hamilton)?

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
Nobody buys that in professional circles, I bet. It's just one of many excuses given to justify the firing. If you break it down, what does that even mean? GMs expect to be captains of the ship, free from the whims of their coaches and mostly free from ownership. Maloney delivered exactly what was expected of him; a top prospect pool as a result of a rebuild. They fired him. Meddlesome owners will keep talent away. Owners with split factions? **** that.

It's just not appealing.

The NHL is still an old boys club. Everyone knows the real deal. Remember the shots taken at ownership by anonymous execs after the firing? "Enamored with Tippett" "Now they're going to do it the stupid way" etc...

They effectively poisoned the well by caving in.

I always appreciated what Maloney did here. He made a few mistakes but I couldn't name a GM who doesn't occasionally screw up. I think where he was out in front of all the rest was when he realized that to compete, he needed to nail it at the draft and so he put together possibly the best team of scouts in the league.

They built a great prospect pool and gave us a wealth of talent for a long time. But now with the changing of the guard, are we going to be able to keep these scouts? And if they start seeing their good picks being squandered in bad trades to try and finish a rebuild today, they may say "what's the point?" and move on.

These owners saved the franchise but now I fear they may destroy it themselves. Interesting days ahead for sure. All I can hope is that they will be better then I think. I live where AL was a business owner and he was very successful but will that translate to the Coyotes? On the other hand, if communication was a problem, it is hard to argue against their decision.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
To believe Tippets hands are clean of influence on Ribeiro, Smith, etc is naive. We have quotes of "get me this guy" and ask yourself who's the filter to say no today? Who's the filter to say that's too high of a price today and what happens if you do(Hamilton)?

Everyone is to blame for that mess.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not 12 years old living in my moms basement

What kind of response is that? If you think there is someone that posts on these boards more qualified your living in a dream world.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
How much influence does the gm have on the draft? He has the final say on picks right? Do we have any indications of how much of an effect maloney specifically had on the draft, not our scouts? I'm asking because I'm curious to see if our stellar drafting in recent years stays stellar.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I always appreciated what Maloney did here. He made a few mistakes but I couldn't name a GM who doesn't occasionally screw up. I think where he was out in front of all the rest was when he realized that to compete, he needed to nail it at the draft and so he put together possibly the best team of scouts in the league.

They built a great prospect pool and gave us a wealth of talent for a long time. But now with the changing of the guard, are we going to be able to keep these scouts? And if they start seeing their good picks being squandered in bad trades to try and finish a rebuild today, they may say "what's the point?" and move on.

These owners saved the franchise but now I fear they may destroy it themselves. Interesting days ahead for sure. All I can hope is that they will be better then I think. I live where AL was a business owner and he was very successful but will that translate to the Coyotes? On the other hand, if communication was a problem, it is hard to argue against their decision.

Good post.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What kind of response is that? If you think there is someone that posts on these boards more qualified your living in a dream world.

I'm trying to be polite. There are people on these boards that have managed people 20 years older, and 20 years younger. Multi million dollar payrolls and budgets and succession and performance management profiles. I'm one of them.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm trying to be polite. There are people on these boards that have managed people 20 years older, and 20 years younger. Multi million dollar payrolls and budgets and succession and performance management profiles. I'm one of them.

Mr Bronfman? Is that you??? :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

:laugh: Like I have said many times, I love reading your posts, and the way it sounds you are very successful, but loving hockey and doing well in a different environment does not make you more qualified.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
:laugh: Like I have said many times, I love reading your posts, and the way it sounds you are very successful, but loving hockey and doing well in a different environment does not make you more qualified.

More to the job than just playing with a spreadsheet. On that I believe I probably am.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00