Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
O'Hearn already manages the CBA stuff and contracts/cap.

I never thought I'd hear "We need Rick Dudley", ever.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You may be right. Years ago the GM was also the coach. Now, everything is just too complex you need people who are experts in their field, like doctors are today. I don't think the titles mean as much today as yesterday. It amazes me how much technology has changed the way hockey organizations, and probably sports in general, run their businesses. Everything is much more in depth than even a few years ago. If you can't adapt, you are left behind.

I think DM not adapting is what got him fired. With the NHL, and in the early days of IA, he called all the shots. IA now wants a group approach. I think the GM title is less important then who are the members of the group. The more I think about the financial side of a business relying on analytic's, maybe the hockey side can, and should rely on this model more too. The new GM might be more of a "group leader and figure head" then the one having all the power. Tip will play a role but won't have the end all be all say. IA is getting away from a one man show in management, so I don't think this is a Tip disguised take over.

Again, as Jakey stated, we don't have all the facts yet, lets see it play out before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Tip will play a roll but won't have the end all be all say.

Since my nomenclature was corrected last week, I'll add a homonym correction if the discussion continues as it has.

Role vs. Roll

As much as I like to visualize Tippett playing the part of a cinnamon roll at some point in the future (he'd have to regrow the mustache for the full effect), let's be a bit more grammatically correct :nod:

I won't touch the rest of the sentence since this is a discussion board, but several posters have used roll rather than role (I'm not picking on Cobra), so I'm just doing my part to improve the grammatical correctness :)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

And where does Claude Loiselle in his "hockey operations consultant" role fit in the new front office scheme? Teach Chayka what not to do?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Since my nomenclature was corrected last week, I'll add a homonym correction if the discussion continues as it has.

Role vs. Roll

As much as I like to visualize Tippett playing the part of a cinnamon roll at some point in the future (he'd have to regrow the mustache for the full effect), let's be a bit more grammatically correct :nod:

I won't touch the rest of the sentence since this is a discussion board, but several posters have used roll rather than role (I'm not picking on Cobra), so I'm just doing my part to improve the grammatical correctness :)

I don't think we want to get into grammatical correctness on a message board, since we could word smith every post:)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
And where does Claude Loiselle in his "hockey operations consultant" role fit in the new front office scheme? Teach Chayka what not to do?

He's the Costanza of the office :) Chayka does the opposite of what he suggests.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Crummy audio, but basically says what we think we know, Chayka and Jackson are still in the running. Jackson could still come to Coyote organization even if not GM, and also says DT will have more input into player personnel decisions, à la Patrick Roy.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We need somebody like Rick Dudley and another Player Development Coordinator

Dudley is one of the AGM's in Montreal, but oversees all of the scouting efforts.

If you have a Dudley type, Chayka, and a Player Development guy, you can evaluate and scout amateur talent for your team.

Also, knowing Chayka's background, I think he would be a good trade negotiator.

Like Dubas, he would read up on the CBA and everything

Dudley would be my number 1 choice. Amazing hockey mind. Never afraid to make bold moves.

I fear we are going to hire Gillis who has history w Chayka.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Worth noting that Friedman said Jackson has interviewed. He's passed the "Coyotes asked for permission" stage. I actually like his credentials, just don't like his ties to Tippett.

Dudley is well qualified but has a poor reputation from his time in Tampa. Came between Feaster and ownership, who had to block a trade than would've seen a young and then- underachieving Vinny Lecavalier traded to Toronto for spare parts.

Zero interest in Gillis. Poor GM and a jerk. Completely mishandled the Luo/Schneider situation.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't think we want to get into grammatical correctness on a message board, since we could wordsmith every post:)

I rarely do, but there were like 5 posts from various users using roll, so I had to say something. :)

Of course I still have a picture of Tippett in my head dressed up as a cinnamon roll :badidea:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Saw it somewhere (Friedman I think) that Sean Burke will not be named GM.

I wonder if Puck Possession has heard the same?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Ima go out on a limb here and figure he said that based on the Blacjhawks being a successful model.
That would be correct. Also, better than Chayka, who hopefully stays on as AGM and groomed for future GM role, and Jackson who is hired to appease Tipp.

I think it was XX that stated and I fully agree "Coaches coach, managers manage and owners own", that doesn't happen if Chayka or Jackson are hired.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That would be correct. Also, better than Chayka, who hopefully stays on as AGM and groomed for future GM role, and Jackson who is hired to appease Tipp.

I think it was XX that stated and I fully agree "Coaches coach, managers manage and owners own", that doesn't happen if Chayka or Jackson are hired.

However if you take LeBlanc for his word they sound like they're going to do just that. It's going to be collective effort. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad