Confirmed with Link: John Chayka named Arizona Coyotes GM

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Saw it somewhere (Friedman I think) that Sean Burke will not be named GM.

I wonder if Puck Possession has heard the same?

Yeah, he told me he didn't want it the other day.

He's enjoying the time away from the game, and being a dad for the first time in his life. His newborn turned 1 the other day.

Would've been nice though

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the info PPW.

If they're going to do this, I'd rather it be the other way around: GM Jackson and AGM Chayka.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Honestly would not have a problem with a Chayka/Jackson/Tippett triumvirate as long as we had a strong ownership that ensured balance between them. But that is the problem, I don't think that our ownership would do that

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
He's enjoying the time away from the game, and being a dad for the first time in his life. His newborn turned 1 the other day.

Burke and his wife Christy Burke-Williams welcomed their first son Hudson on April 9, 2015. Burke also has 2 adult children Andie and Brendan. He currently resides in Paradise Valley, Arizona with his wife Christy and her two kids, Alexis and Jimmy

What am I missing here?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Burke and his wife Christy Burke-Williams welcomed their first son Hudson on April 9, 2015. Burke also has 2 adult children Andie and Brendan. He currently resides in Paradise Valley, Arizona with his wife Christy and her two kids, Alexis and Jimmy

What am I missing here?

He's enjoying having a newborn around.

He always tells me, that he missed out on a lot of Brendan and Andie's teenage years, due to the divorce from his first wife.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
As an outsider (Rangers fan) who enjoys the analytics side of the game... but also as a 25 year old whose dream it is to be a GM of an NHL franchise... I'm rooting for Chakya, here :)

Regardless, I think whoever the next GM of the Coyotes is will have a good time. Maloney has put some truly great pieces in place. Plus likely having the 7th pick in the draft this year with the potential to get another impact player.

I'll be following this one closely. Hope you guys get who you want (and win the lottery this season to bring Matthews home!)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

What am I missing here?

I think what he meant to say was that Burke was enjoying being a dad without having to sacrifice most of that dad time to hockey for the first time in his life - not being a dad for the first time. :D

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I haven't put much thought into this, but I was thinking about titles for the new hockey ops staff.

Head Coach/VP Hockey Ops DT (Roy's title in Colorado)

GM- John Chayka

AGM Hockey Ops- Chris O'Hearn

Executive VP Hockey Ops- Les Jackson

This is what I think it might look like.

I highly doubt anybody gets a "President of Hockey Ops" title

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
With no GM in place by Saturday, I wonder who we're sending to the lotto? Although, last year, LeBlanc was the Coyotes representative as Maloney was in Europe.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Chayka/Jackson/Tippett with very blurry lines is interesting. Could work. Could be the worst thing since Barnett and Gretzky. That's a coin toss.

Other possibilities include: literally everything in between those two.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's a fairly radical set-up, and I'm not sure it's outside the line of reasoning to guess that it'll have a fairly radical outcome. Maybe not. :)

I don't think it's so radical because I think someone is still gonna be in charge for reals whether it's official or not.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't think it's so radical because I think someone is still gonna be in charge for reals whether it's official or not.

The head coach. I'd suspect Chayka is doing the statistical scouting, while Jackson does the negotiations and eyeball scouting, while Tippett is Mr. Final Say who regularly provides a wish list and actually expects to see movement based on that wish list. That's not typical. It's actually the first and only of its kind.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Wouldn't that just make them head scouts?

I'm not convinced this power dynamic is lasting regardless. Someone is gonna get too big for their particular sandbox. Whether that's Jackson (or whomever) leaving after a year-ish to get a job with autonomy. Chayka serving his (probably short) contract and getting a for reals GM job somewhere else. Or Tippett leaving coaching and being the GM full time at some point.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My personal opinion is that it is a little unfair to assume that Tippett can't play well with others in a decision-making circumstance.

Let's look at the timeline here:

Maloney starts as GM in 2007 - every decision that is made is likely made between himself, owners, and Gretzky, where Gretzky gets the lion's share of input.

From 2009 up until the purchase of the team by IA, the NHL gave him a budget and that was it. I am assuming that the NHL stayed very hands-off in terms of deals, so a lot of the decision-making was balanced out between Tippett and Maloney inputs, probably with them agreeing on more than just a few things. I don't think that Tippett put a gun to Maloney's head regarding Ribeiro. Rather, both Tip and Maloney agreed on that move.

Now, with ownership in place, there is another mind in the group, but these guys aren't the NHL and approaching the "one year at a time" philosophy.

As someone posted, I think that Maloney's downfall was that he didn't adapt and to be honest, he never really had a true "plan" in place. The only time he had a plan was when the team went down the tubes in 14-15 season. And that plan was the firesale for the rebuild. Even if he did have a plan, when the team was without an owner, the plan didn't need to be laid out to anyone, as it was almost a season-by-season basis in terms of working with the NHL. That likely exposed itself early on in ownership and the last two years when we had individuals putting together a three-five year vision.

I get that Tippett has favored a more veteran and experienced team, but I also think that the analytics that he uses (whether similar or dissimilar to Chayka's) at least shows an initiative of asking the 5 W's with regard to player personnel now and in the future. I strongly doubt that Tippett is going to strong-arm certain scenarios, rather that the collective group-think will have an analytical focus for the now and future, whereas the detracting voices in the room in the past would not have had an analytical approach toward particular players. This time around, the detractors will have some analytics behind their decision and will make it easier to order, compare, and evaluate players.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
My personal opinion is that it is a little unfair to assume that Tippett can't play well with others in a decision-making circumstance.

It's not unfair at all, given that...

I get that Tippett has favored a more veteran and experienced team, but I also think that the analytics that he uses (whether similar or dissimilar to Chayka's) at least shows an initiative of asking the 5 W's with regard to player personnel now and in the future. I strongly doubt that Tippett is going to strong-arm certain scenarios, rather that the collective group-think will have an analytical focus for the now and future, whereas the detracting voices in the room in the past would not have had an analytical approach toward particular players.

... he literally strong-armed his way into a larger role. His "analytics" are chock full of his own personal bias, because he came up with them. It would be fine if Tippett was known for playing players that play good over scrubs, but that's not the case. He adores his scrubs, to the point that it's comical. Whatever analytics he uses, he must feel the need to throw them out the window when he continually plays awful possession players over better ones. The front office is also not going to magically all be on the same page. In fact, I'd be very concerned about anything approaching a troika. Les Jackson will inevitably vote Tippett, if he is the AGM hire.

Just more after the fact justification of a horrible fumble by ownership. "Maloney hated numbers you guys. Numbers are so hot right now. See that Chayka guy? He's got, like, all the numbers. Coach Tip loves da numbers!"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka/Jackson/Tippett with very blurry lines is interesting. Could work. Could be the worst thing since Barnett and Gretzky. That's a coin toss.

I haven't put much thought into this, but I was thinking about titles for the new hockey ops staff.

Head Coach/VP Hockey Ops DT (Roy's title in Colorado)

GM- John Chayka

AGM Hockey Ops- Chris O'Hearn

Executive VP Hockey Ops- Les Jackson

This is what I think it might look like.

I highly doubt anybody gets a "President of Hockey Ops" title

It's a fairly radical set-up, and I'm not sure it's outside the line of reasoning to guess that it'll have a fairly radical outcome. Maybe not. :)

The head coach. I'd suspect Chayka is doing the statistical scouting, while Jackson does the negotiations and eyeball scouting, while Tippett is Mr. Final Say who regularly provides a wish list and actually expects to see movement based on that wish list. That's not typical. It's actually the first and only of its kind.

Wouldn't that just make them head scouts?

I'm not convinced this power dynamic is lasting regardless. Someone is gonna get too big for their particular sandbox. Whether that's Jackson (or whomever) leaving after a year-ish to get a job with autonomy. Chayka serving his (probably short) contract and getting a for reals GM job somewhere else. Or Tippett leaving coaching and being the GM full time at some point.

You guys are going to get an ulcer over all this speculating. Patience guys.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Let's look at the timeline here:

Maloney starts as GM in 2007 - every decision that is made is likely made between himself, owners, and Gretzky, where Gretzky gets the lion's share of input.

From 2009 up until the purchase of the team by IA, the NHL gave him a budget and that was it. I am assuming that the NHL stayed very hands-off in terms of deals, so a lot of the decision-making was balanced out between Tippett and Maloney inputs, probably with them agreeing on more than just a few things. I don't think that Tippett put a gun to Maloney's head regarding Ribeiro. Rather, both Tip and Maloney agreed on that move.

Now, with ownership in place, there is another mind in the group, but these guys aren't the NHL and approaching the "one year at a time" philosophy.

As someone posted, I think that Maloney's downfall was that he didn't adapt and to be honest, he never really had a true "plan" in place. The only time he had a plan was when the team went down the tubes in 14-15 season. And that plan was the firesale for the rebuild. Even if he did have a plan, when the team was without an owner, the plan didn't need to be laid out to anyone, as it was almost a season-by-season basis in terms of working with the NHL. That likely exposed itself early on in ownership and the last two years when we had individuals putting together a three-five year vision.

I get that Tippett has favored a more veteran and experienced team, but I also think that the analytics that he uses (whether similar or dissimilar to Chayka's) at least shows an initiative of asking the 5 W's with regard to player personnel now and in the future. I strongly doubt that Tippett is going to strong-arm certain scenarios, rather that the collective group-think will have an analytical focus for the now and future, whereas the detracting voices in the room in the past would not have had an analytical approach toward particular players. This time around, the detractors will have some analytics behind their decision and will make it easier to order, compare, and evaluate players.

Good post.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You guys are going to get an ulcer over all this speculating. Patience guys.

Patience for what? I'm posting my thoughts on a message board not placing bets on what's gonna happen at a sports book.

This board literally exists for speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad