WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Look, it doesn't matter how many times people post a slow-mo video of the hit or pictures, refs have to make a decision on the ice without the help of a replay. You need to watch the hit at normal speed and take into consideration the location of the refs.

Last edited:

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Ok I was tired, it was 5 am in the morning, he lost the puck and looked after it. But not in a million years does that warrant a major and a suspension is just laughable.

Is he supposed to surgically remove his elbow? It was tucked in as much as it could possibly be. If D'amigo doesnt look after the puck he doesnt get hit. As simple as that.

If Johansson doesn't throw the elbow up D'amigo doesn't get hi. You and the rest of the swedish posters defending your captain are laughable.

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
According to the IIHF rules, looks like that deserved a 5 min major and nothing more. Not a fan of the penalty but that's a whole other story.

As for people crying bias... that's pretty laughable. The officiating has been pretty inconsistent, for sure but I wouldn't say there's a pattern of it slanting one way to indicate a bias. Hits and elbows were thrown that should have received much more than they did. Some pretty innocent stuff, relatively speaking, got punished harsher than it should have. It happened in such a way that several teams got screwed at various times by lack of action from officials or over-reaction from officials.

"Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
Seriously, the refs is slowly killing this tournament.

It almost as ridicilous as the Canada Cup farse vs Russia back in the days.

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
Players keep their head up!, I mean really how hard of a concept is that too follow... anyone having played actual hockey should be able to understand that.

Davebo*

Damn, that was ugly!
I don't care what about the rules in this case but if Johansson gets suspended Fuglister (?) should get like 10 games. Johansson might be a accident, this was just pure stupid.

Let your boys know to keep your heads up later! There are some dirty players in this tournament that are SHOCK! not wearing a Team Canada sweater...

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Do all you people complaining about the inconsistencies of the refereeing realize that it stems from the fact that pretty much every game you get different refs from different countries and different leagues? Of course it is going to be inconsistent because they are used to reffing games that are played in the league they ref and not necessarily the same style hockey that you or your country are used to. Every year you see bad calls on every team and that is never going to change unless you can find a full group of referees and linesmen from countries not participating.

That said, no way should there be inconsistencies in supplementary discipline from the IIHF, and there should not have been a suspension in this case.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
So an elbow to the head by a Swede on an American becomes another Canada-bashing thread. Why am I so surprised. This place has become a cesspool.

Quit your whining.
I don't see anybody here saying it wasn't a penalty.
I see people claiming there is a double standard, comparing other hits of similar nature in the not so far past, which resulted in nothing.
If you somehow have a problem with that, go read something else.

Personally, I agree with the call and the suspension. No way in hell that Andersson didn't lean over to catch the guy. Had he not done that, D'Amigo would not have gotten hit, puck or no puck, head up or down. It is unsportsmanlike, unnecessary, and dangerous.

The officiating in this tourney has been great.
Is there a double standard? Probably. Refs are only human. Play through it, or don't bother to show up. It's not like this should be news to anybody.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Don't keep your head at belly-button level and those kinds of hits aren't even noticed. Yeah, it was an elbow, but there's lots of blame for the victim in this case.

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
Do all you people complaining about the inconsistencies of the refereeing realize that it stems from the fact that pretty much every game you get different refs from different countries and different leagues? Of course it is going to be inconsistent because they are used to reffing games that are played in the league they ref and not necessarily the same style hockey that you or your country are used to. Every year you see bad calls on every team and that is never going to change unless you can find a full group of referees and linesmen from countries not participating.

That said, no way should there be inconsistencies in supplementary discipline from the IIHF, and there should not have been a suspension in this case.

This. On ice reffing is always going to have its problems in a tourney like this.

Supplementary discipline though, there is no excuse for it being inconsistent. However, I'll put it down as incompetence instead of screaming bias. Maybe that's because my team has made it to the gold medal game... maybe not... it'll forever be a mystery I guess but from where I sit, that's what it appears to be.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
When I saw it happen, I immediately thought that it was a pay-back hit for the lick he (D'Amigo) laid on the Swedish kid at the end of the 2nd period.

It was an elbow no question, but I've seen worse and at teh end of the day he wasn't hurt all that bad.

No but he could have been, and for some reason everybody in the hockey world likes to cry foul and blast people when they do crap like this, resulting in serious injuries, but if nobody gets seriously injured, then it's a "ho-hum, move along!"

Consistent penalties for dangerous plays regardless of outcome.
Different refs from different countries is not an excuse. The IIHF can review and hand out suspensions retroactively.

Cromier was not suspended becasue it wasn't an IIHF game.

Canadian that like to generalize and say crap like "all Swedes" can explain to me why "all Canadians" defended Cromier's hit and posted Youtube clips of top-10 NHL hits, while letting "All Swedes" know that they are whining.

Geez... this was not even a game Canada was involved with. Talk about whiners.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Don't keep your head at belly-button level and those kinds of hits aren't even noticed. Yeah, it was an elbow, but there's lots of blame for the victim in this case.

This is just silly logic. Attempting the blame the victim rarely works.

Head shots are head shots. They need to be removed from hockey at all levels. I'm tired of seeing players get concussed. Shoulder, elbows, whatever, headshots need to be eliminated.

Wario Lemieux*

Nobody has been hating on Canada. But the fact is, that Cormier has thrown the dirtiest hit this whole tournament, and didn't have to miss not even two minutes, while Johansson got suspended for skating into a guy who had his chin out. What a joke.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I'm fine with the 5+game+suspension but really, this just highlights the fact that Cormier should have gotten the same or worse. It blew my mind that he didn't receive any additional discipline at the time and it still does in light of this suspension.

Well, Cromier's hit didn't come in an IIHF game, so IIHF can't really be blamed for a bias on that one.

The refs in that particular game should have done something, agreed. But, what does that matter now, and how does that change anything?

By the end of the day, Andersson made a stupid and dangerous play. It maight have been a brain dump a' la serious (lots of talk about finishing their checks, etc), but nevertheless, the IIHF ruling is VERY CLEAR ON THESE KINDS OF HITS, so I don't understnad how they are blamed for going by the rulebook.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
This is just silly logic. Attempting the blame the victim rarely works.

Head shots are head shots. They need to be removed from hockey at all levels. I'm tired of seeing players get concussed. Shoulder, elbows, whatever, headshots need to be eliminated.

I agree with that 100%

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Well, Cromier's hit didn't come in an IIHF game, so IIHF can't really be blamed for a bias on that one.

The refs in that particular game should have done something, agreed. But, what does that matter now, and how does that change anything?

By the end of the day, Andersson made a stupid and dangerous play. It maight have been a brain dump a' la serious (lots of talk about finishing their checks, etc), but nevertheless, the IIHF ruling is VERY CLEAR ON THESE KINDS OF HITS, so I don't understnad how they are blamed for going by the rulebook.

It was IIHF sanctioned, and the IIHF had the right to provide supplementary discipline for it (even if they didn't have control over the officials during the game). Not sure if they would be allowed to discipline without a penalty on the ice, but it seems like something they could have done.

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
Nobody has been hating on Canada. But the fact is, that Cormier has thrown the dirtiest hit this whole tournament, and didn't have to miss not even two minutes, while Johansson got suspended for skating into a guy who had his chin out. What a joke.
I would disagree with the statement that nobody has been hating on Canada. With a really quick glance at this thread...

Like I've said a million times before, Canadians play by another set of rules.
Unless we're getting into hair splitting that they're actually hating on the preferential treatment that he's claiming Canada receives vs hating on Canada.

Also, yes the Cromier hit was ugly and should have been a penalty. However, if what some people are saying is true (i.e. that it wasn't an IIHF game) could he have been suspended from the tournament's games for it?

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
It was IIHF sanctioned, and the IIHF had the right to provide supplementary discipline for it (even if they didn't have control over the officials during the game). Not sure if they would be allowed to discipline without a penalty on the ice, but it seems like something they could have done.

I'm pretty sure I heard them say on the NHL Network, which I assume is the TSN broadcast, that it wasn't. But, then again, if you have a better source, which wouldn't be too hard, I certainly stand corrected.

I do know that the Swedish Coach, Per MÃ¥rts, were asked but declined to file a report on the situation, which may have been why nothing came out of it.

At any rate, whatever happened with Cromier is prtty irrelevant to this situation the way I see it. Two wrongs don't make a right. If we are discussing the existance of a double standard in the hockey world, I agree. Life, in all instances, are made up by double standards, and we live through them. It just gets really old the people can't move along becasue it's a damn hockey game.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Seriously.. this is all about the level of reffing at this tournament. And it has been effing Pejorative Slured. Where did they find all this low level beer league refs for this tournament? Not one single game where the refs haven't been brutal. I know all the professional leagues are going on right now, but seriously.

The level of play is obviously higher than the skill the refs have. They can't keep up and they lose control of the games quickly.

The level of entertainment from his tournament has been very low. And the refs have been a big part of it, because the games have been just frustrating to watch.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I'm pretty sure I heard them say on the NHL Network, which I assume is the TSN broadcast, that it wasn't. But, then again, if you have a better source, which wouldn't be too hard, I certainly stand corrected.

I do know that the Swedish Coach, Per MÃ¥rts, were asked but declined to file a report on the situation, which may have been why nothing came out of it.

At any rate, whatever happened with Cromier is prtty irrelevant to this situation the way I see it. Two wrongs don't make a right. If we are discussing the existance of a double standard in the hockey world, I agree. Life, in all instances, are made up by double standards, and we live through them. It just gets really old the people can't move along becasue it's a damn hockey game.

The TSN broadcast repeatedly said it was a sanctioned game, and that it would be interesting to see if the IIHF came out with anything afterwards about the incident. I don't know if they ever broke down specifically what specifically could or could not happen, but they seemed to emphasize that something could.

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
The level of entertainment from his tournament has been very low. And the refs have been a big part of it, because the games have been just frustrating to watch.
I would say that biggest thing that has taken away from my enjoyment of the tourney are the blowout games. After 5-0 its just not fun to watch anymore.

The other thing would be my schedule doesn't seem to work well with the tournament this time around. The only games I get to sit down and watch live are the really lopsided ones but I doubt that the IIHF is going to do anything about that. :)

Wario Lemieux*

I would disagree with the statement that nobody has been hating on Canada. With a really quick glance at this thread...

Unless we're getting into hair splitting that they're actually hating on the preferential treatment that he's claiming Canada receives vs hating on Canada.

Also, yes the Cromier hit was ugly and should have been a penalty. However, if what some people are saying is true (i.e. that it wasn't an IIHF game) could he have been suspended from the tournament's games for it?
Just a few individuals, its not like the whole board is in uproar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad