WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Probably because the ref had been trying to screw his team over the entire game

LOL

You really need to get over yourself. There is a reason the Gold Medal game is Canada vs. U.S.A and I can tell it's not because of the refs. Sweden got beat, face it. No amount of whining is going to do any good...except to maybe get you on a few ignore lists.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Looked to me like he didn't plan on the elbow, but it still was one. Brought it out at the last second so he wouldn't miss the hit?

[Mod Edit]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
It's D'Amigo, looking the other way, driving his head into the arm of Johansson. Why did he stay down? Was he injured? What is it whit this sport when it's played 'overthere'? The refs are a joke, the players cheat and act. Where is the sportsmanship and honour that Americans once where said to be ok at. What a joke.

It would seem most of the officials for the game were not from "over there".

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
LOL

You really need to get over yourself. There is a reason the Gold Medal game is Canada vs. U.S.A and I can tell it's not because of the refs. Sweden got beat, face it. No amount of whining is going to do any good...except to maybe get you on a few ignore lists.

Where did I say it was because of the refs we lost? It wasnt. We played flawless PK. We lost because we couldnt score on our chances and made terrible mistakes. Usa deserves to be in the finals.

U N D E R S T A N D N O W? (In capitals and with space between, just for you)

tdoteli

Dec 7, 2009
Toronto, ON
www.twitter.com
Jeez, seems like there's a lot of anti-Canadianism over here. No honour in defeat? It's a shame that some people here as using the word "Canadian" as if it's an insult.

I'd like to see some concrete proof that the refs are biased towards Canada (or USA.) That doesn't mean one bad call/non-call. From what I've watched, I've seen quite a few questionable, overzealous calls against the Canadians (as well as many appropriate penalties.)

Last edited:

Panthers607

Jeez, seems like there's a lot of anti-Canadianism over here. No honour in defeat? It's a shame that some people here as using the word "Canadian" as if it's an insult.

I'd like to see some concrete proof that the refs are biased towards Canada (or USA.) That doesn't mean one bad call/non-call. From what I've watched, I've seen quite a few questionable, overzealous calls against the Canadians (as well as many appropriate penalties.)

I just love when guys ask for proof for bias. :laugh:
Where the hell are supposed to get those concrete proofs and what defines a concrete proofs on this topic?

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Looking at it several times, the elbow hits D'Amigo in the chin, the forearm square to the his face. It's still a shot to the head whether it's a clear elbow or not. Sweden isn't getting screwed by this, headshots aren't acceptable, what's so hard to understand about that?

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
5min major, match, and suspension.. for hitting a guy with his head down watching the puck.

Absolutely nothing.. for intentionally elbowing a player in the head who was nowhere near the puck, and didn't even touch it for a long while.

Really?

I guess players should just skate real low, and anytime they get hit, their team gets a 5min PP.

Yeah, I agree.

Tell me which hit is more vicious, Johansson's hit or this hit by Cormier?
Cormier didn't even get a penalty on the play though the ref was standing 5 feet away from the "incident"

There's definitely double standard present.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Looking at it several times, the elbow hits D'Amigo in the chin, the forearm square to the his face. It's still a shot to the head whether it's a clear elbow or not. Sweden isn't getting screwed by this, headshots aren't acceptable, what's so hard to understand about that?

If if was the same for everyone, we probably wouldnt even care about it. But since Cormier got nothing, not even a minor for his headshot why should we sit back and just look at this?

If this was a 1 game suspension Cormier should've been removed from the tournament even before it started.

EDIT: Any word on FUGLISTER? What he did was worse, should atleast be a 1 game aswell.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
If if was the same for everyone, we probably wouldnt even care about it. But since Cormier got nothing, not even a minor for his headshot why should we sit back and just look at this?

If this was a 1 game suspension Cormier should've been removed from the tournament even before it started.

So because he got off your guy should too? That's a ridiculous way to look at it. Cormier should have been suspended, the IIHF screwed that one, but that doesn't mean you guys are being punished for it.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008

EDIT: Any word on FUGLISTER? What he did was worse, should atleast be a 1 game aswell.

As of right now, no word on a suspension for Fuglister, so he probably wont get one.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
We lost the game all due to our own mistakes. There can be no excuses as for why Sweden does not play the finals against Canada. It was a well executed game by USA, they took use of our mistakes and threy played solid defense.

However.

The hit on D'Amigo is definitely very much his own fault. I can see how it is a penalty, possibly even a major, this is juniors after all. But a suspension aswell? There is obviously no intent at all from Johansson's side to injure D'Amigo. The hit to the head is merely a result of D'Amigo skating with his head down, something you get to learn not to the moment you start hitting in peewee hockey. An obvious example of Johansson playing regularly against men whereas D'Amigo plays in a junior league.

Had D'Amigo not had his eyes on a completely different place this would be a legit hit, it would likely have been praised as a nice one to boot. Now tell me, is it the action of the guy who gets hit that determines the penalty level of the hitter? As stated above, go ahead and penalize Johansson, but a suspension for something so unintentional is ridiculous.

Now I'm not blaming this on some kind of silly Canadian/American bias, the refs are from both Europe and NA. Nevertheless the reffing has been terrible through this entire tournament, equally terrible to both sides, that is. It is a shame to such a great tournament.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
We lost the game all due to our own mistakes. There can be no excuses as for why Sweden does not play the finals against Canada. It was a well executed game by USA, they took use of our mistakes and threy played solid defense.

However.

The hit on D'Amigo is definitely very much his own fault. I can see how it is a penalty, possibly even a major, this is juniors after all. But a suspension aswell? There is obviously no intent at all from Johansson's side to injure D'Amigo. The hit to the head is merely a result of D'Amigo skating with his head down, something you get to learn not to the moment you start hitting in peewee hockey. An obvious example of Johansson playing regularly against men whereas D'Amigo plays in a junior league.

Had D'Amigo not had his eyes on a completely different place this would be a legit hit, it would likely have been praised as a nice one to boot. Now tell me, is it the action of the guy who gets hit that determines the penalty level of the hitter? As stated above, go ahead and penalize Johansson, but a suspension for something so unintentional is ridiculous.

Now I'm not blaming this on some kind of silly Canadian/American bias, the refs are from both Europe and NA. Nevertheless the reffing has been terrible through this entire tournament, equally terrible to both sides, that is. It is a shame to such a great tournament.

Good post. I agree.

If Cormier didn't get suspended and the guy from Switzerland ( I forget his name ) didn't get suspended then their is no way that Johansson should get suspended. Hopefully this doesn't hurt your chances in winning the Bronze medal, although I doubt it should.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

This. In the first GDT someone posted the exact IIHF rule on checks on the head. It does NOT matter if there is elbow or not, it's still a major penalty if the player is deemed "injured".

The lack or rule knowledge at HFBoards is really saddening, just like on the "penalty shot" situation. Though even more surprising was that Swedish television's studio crew didn't know it.

And let's not even start on the "trip" before the 3rd US goal.

The other ref Tom Laaksonen is known as one of the worst refs in SM-liiga but I don't know if any of these situations happened on his area but they went according to the rule book.

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC
This sucks. I really enjoyed watching Johansson play during this tournament. His speed, defensive awareness, technical skills and hands are all very good, and it would have been a treat to watch him in what is his final game as a junior eligible player. I'm confident that Sweden will win the bronze medal game, but I'm saddened by the fact that I won't get to watch the young captain lead his team into battle one final time.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
This. In the first GDT someone posted the exact IIHF rule on checks on the head. It does NOT matter if there is elbow or not, it's still a major penalty if the player is deemed "injured".

The lack or rule knowledge at HFBoards is really saddening, just like on the "penalty shot" situation. Though even more surprising was that Swedish television's studio crew didn't know it.

The other ref Tom Laaksonen is known as one of the worst refs in SM-liiga but I don't know if any of these situations happened on his area but they went according to the rule book.

Who in this thread is arguing it wasn't a penalty though? People are pointing out the double standard about the supplementary discipline, not the call on the ice.

It definitely warranted the 5 even if there wasn't malicious intent. But this suspension doesn't fit the precedent set by letting Cormier off.

Hopefully this is a sign that they're going to tighten up on this kind of thing, and in the future something like Cormier's act would in fact be called. The consolation here, I suppose, is that it probably won't have much impact on the results (Sweden would still have to be considered the favorites for the Bronze by a decent margin, right?). That may have made it easier for them to make this decision now vs. when they would have for Cormier, although that's a cop out if it entered into their thinking.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It doesn't matter whether it was an elbow or a shoulder under IIHF officiating standards. It matters that the hit was flush to the head, the hit blatant. I'm a fan of Johansson, for NHL partisan reasons, but that was a clear violation of the officiating standard at these tournaments. The NHL is much less stringent, but NHL rules do not apply in this instance.

A big mid-ice collision with a hit to the head, regardless of the body part employed, is going to lead to a suspension at these tourneys.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Hypocrisy at it's finest IIHF.

I can take the major penalty and game misconduct, even though I think it was a bit harsh since he didn't extend his elbow and since it would have been deemed a great clean hit if D'Amigo hadn't been stripped of the puck. But to call a major and game misconduct while letting Cormier's disgusting 100% intent to injure elbow away from the play go unpunished is just plain out wrong.

Last edited:

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
it would have been deemed a great clean hit if D'Amigo hadn't been stripped of the puck

Yeah it would have been a great open ice hit if, a) he actually had the puck, and b) it wasn't a blatant headshot. :laugh:

I agree that Cormiers was even more blatant though, although probably not as dangerous since he wasn't moving with any speed.

Macman

May 15, 2004
So an elbow to the head by a Swede on an American becomes another Canada-bashing thread. Why am I so surprised. This place has become a cesspool.

Panthers607

However.

Great post.

I agree that Cormiers was even more blatant though

Good progress!

Fregus

Modo Hockey
Dec 12, 2009
Well, well it has already happend and it doesn't really matter anymore, we should be able to beat Switzerland anyway. But i sure hope that they are going to look at this after the torunament, cause I can't stand another JWC with as low level of referees as before. It's a shame.
Looking forward to a great game tonight, hopefully without any questionable situations.

TheCH*

Do Swedes really have to cry about everything?
Every year they lose, and every year its everybody elses fault but themselves according to fans on here. You are the biggest bunch of sore losers ever!

The ORB

May 27, 2009
GTA, Ontario, Canada
So an elbow to the head by a Swede on an American becomes another Canada-bashing thread. Why am I so surprised. This place has become a cesspool.

It's pretty sad isn't it.

As a European myself, who now lives in Canada, some of the ill-informed anti-Canadian crap in certain parts of this forum are embarrassing. :shakehead

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping

Maybe he should have called him for Checking to the head and not Elbowing then? You must still meet the requirements for the minor penalty to get a major one, otherwise you have not performed the required action.

I have underlined some important words. First off Checking to the head. He obviously hit/touched D'Amigo in the head, but was it Johansson who directed the check or blow to the head or was it D'Amigo who got his head lower and lower as they skated past each other resulting in him taking the blow to the face? Likewise the elbowing (which he was called for)... did Johansson really use his elbow to foul D'Amigo or was it just the point of collision because D'Amigo leans lower as they skate by each other?

CHECKING TO THE HEAD AND NECK AREA.

A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and
neck area of an opposing player or â€drives†or â€forces†the head of an opposing
player into the protective glass on boards, shall be assessed, at the discretion of
the Referee, a:

➤ Minor penalty + Automatic Misconduct penalty (2’+10’)
or
➤ Major penalty + Automatic Game Misconduct penalty (5’+GM)
or
➤ Match Penalty (MP)

A player who injures an opponent as a result of checking to the head and neck
area shall be assessed a

➤ Match Penalty

ELBOWING

A player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent shall be assessed, at the
discretion of the Referee, a:

➤ Minor penalty (2’)
or
or
➤ Match penalty (MP)

A player who injures an opponent by elbowing shall be assessed, at the
discretion of the Referee, a:

or
➤ Match penalty (MP)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad