WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

Panthers607

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_show_lagkaptenen-avstangd.html?id=9154032

Google translator
The team captain off
Marcus Johansson misses bronze match
Match penalty was not enough. Now it turns out that Marcus Johansson off the elbow against American Jerry D'Amigo. Thus, his junior career over.
- I may wind up on the guys, "said Marcus Johansson to hockeysverige.se.

SASKATOON It was a bitter end to the career of junior Färjestads Marcus Johansson. The elbow as he handed out at Jerry D'Amigo at the beginning of the third period resulted in a match penalty. After it became the Swedish game itself never liked. Semi-final ended with a loss, 2-5.

On top of it decided to close the Directory of Jackson. He thus misses bronze match against Switzerland on Tuesday.

- Of course it is not fun, but things happen. There is nothing you can do something special for. I may wind up on the guys and to ensure that we get with us a bronze medal, "said the Swedish captain.

How did you react to shutdown?
- I do not know ... It is disappointing, but said there is nothing you can do something about it is their decision.

Wow. :shakehead

Zetterberg4Captain*

Never got to see a replay of the hit because I was at the game and they like to show the people in the damn crowd instead, Sweden will win anyways...

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I feel bad for the kid. It was an elbow but I definitely don't think he meant to elbow. His elbow was tucked in and it's just that D'Amigo was leaning forward. Tough way to get kicked out of the tournament.

I also noticed Swedens coach smirk when he seen the 5 min pp, I wonder why?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I feel bad for the kid. It was an elbow but I definitely don't think he meant to elbow. His elbow was tucked in and it's just that D'Amigo was leaning forward. Tough way to get kicked out of the tournament.

I also noticed Swedens coach smirk when he seen the 5 min pp, I wonder why?

Probably because the ref had been trying to screw his team over the entire game

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
5min major, match, and suspension.. for hitting a guy with his head down watching the puck.

Absolutely nothing.. for intentionally elbowing a player in the head who was nowhere near the puck, and didn't even touch it for a long while.

Really?

I guess players should just skate real low, and anytime they get hit, their team gets a 5min PP.

Wario Lemieux*

I am usually against headshots but this is starting to get ridiculous.

He was basically asking for a concussion right there.

Madic

May 21, 2008
5min major, match, and suspension.. for hitting a guy with his head down watching the puck.

Absolutely nothing.. for intentionally elbowing a player in the head who was nowhere near the puck, and didn't even touch it for a long while.

Really?

I guess players should just skate real low, and anytime they get hit, their team gets a 5min PP.
While I agree the Canadian elbow (forget who it was, Cormier or D. Rovere) should have been a suspension...why do you people intentionally gloss over stuff like this? He didn't just "hit a player with his head down". He elbowed the guy in his head. International play, headshot + elbow. Probably didn't mean to do it, doesn't matter. Yeesh.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Bs.

Stop admiring your pass D'amigo.
What pass was that? The pass he never made anywhere in that clip? Way to watch. Way to be objective. Next time, try watching something before you make stupid comments.

Wario Lemieux*

While I agree the Canadian elbow (forget who it was, Cormier or D. Rovere) should have been a suspension...why do you people intentionally gloss over stuff like this? He didn't just "hit a player with his head down". He elbowed the guy in his head. International play, headshot + elbow. Probably didn't mean to do it, doesn't matter. Yeesh.

What pass was that? The pass he never made anywhere in that clip? Way to watch. Way to be objective. Next time, try watching something before you make stupid comments.

There is this multi-quote feature that has a button under each post that really saves time and bandwidth.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Bs.

Stop admiring your pass D'amigo.

What pass was he admiring exactly? Petersson pulled the puck between his legs and was ready to start the play back up ice when Johansson elbowed D'Amigo in the face.

It's the right call. Fasel said not two weeks ago, "There is no such thing as a legal hit to the head." The face is part of the head. They botched the discipline on the Cormier hit, but they got this one right.

Johansson should have either stepped into him fully (which would have made for an awesome, possibly game-changing hit) or avoided him completely. What he did was simply a bad decision on his part, and it may have cost his team the game.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

Look at this damn clip, there was no elbow. It was the shoulder. His elbow was tucked in as the arm was leveled with the body, it is anatomically impossible to have the elbow in the same place as youe shoulder as they are connected to each other.

He skated with his head down looking at the puck. 5 min was ridiculous, suspension is even more unbelievable.

Cormier got away with 10 times more with his vicious elbow. The difference is that Rodin didn't go down like a little girl and then stay there, he took the hit, got up and skated to the bench.

Like I've said a million times before, Canadians play by another set of rules.

No ill will against the USA, I hope you win the final - but this weird bias needs to stop.

Panthers607

Look at this damn clip, there was no elbow. It was the shoulder. His elbow was tucked in as the arm was leveled with the body, it is anatomically impossible to have the elbow in the same place as youe shoulder as they are connected to each other.

He skated with his head down looking at the puck. 5 min was ridiculous, suspension is even more unbelievable.

Cormier got away with 10 times more with his vicious elbow. The difference is that Rodin didn't go down like a little girl and then stay there, he took the hit, got up and skated to the bench.

No ill will against the USA, I hope you win the final - but this weird bias needs to stop.

100%.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

If a Canadian threw that hit everyone would be all over it saying they should be suspended. It was an elbow, completely unintentional, but an elbow nonetheless.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto

:biglaugh:

There's a difference of leading with the shoulder and actually hitting with the shoulder. It may not have been an elbow but it was no shoulder. Whatever it was, it was a headshot which warrants what he got, a suspension. In the NHL, it likely would have been ruled clean. In the IIHF, its a suspension. It kind of reminds me of the Boychuk hit on Stajan to be honest.

No one doubts that Cormier's elbow on the Swedish player should have been a suspension. However due to that and a severe bias on your part you automatically assume that the IIHF has a bias against all teams not named Canada. Until you show me actual evidence that there is a clear bias, you just another whining fan similar to the Wings fans of last year.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway

100%

He didn't even have any speed going through, didn't use the elbow and D'Amigo just blindly skated around...looked like he just was going to be a wall for D'Amigo

But, I do hope USA wins the final.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Ok I was tired, it was 5 am in the morning, he lost the puck and looked after it. But not in a million years does that warrant a major and a suspension is just laughable.

Is he supposed to surgically remove his elbow? It was tucked in as much as it could possibly be. If D'amigo doesnt look after the puck he doesnt get hit. As simple as that.

alexthekidd

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2008
London
Whether the elbow made contact or not, it was a headshot. But by suspending Johansson and not suspending Cormier, there's a definite double standard present.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
The IIHF need to do something about the refs at this tournament.... and not just for the things in this game. I have watched all five of Sweden's games and the refs have been somewhere in the spectre between mediocre and really bad in all of them. I assume the situation have been about the same in most of the other games as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad