WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Just reported on TSN that Johansson was NOT suspended.

The Sweedish team assumed he was and they submitted their offical lineup and left Johansson off the lineup. Eventually Gord Miller a member of TSN informed the Sweeds their captain was not suspended and they wanted to change their lineup but were not allowed to change the offical lineup.

Pretty big screw up from the Sweeds

What a jerk Canadian, trying to screw them!

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
It was still a hit to the head by the IIHF's definition, given that the only contact was to the head, so that's really irrelevant. On-ice, the ref probably saw it as an elbow, and that's understandable. If it hadn't been called as an elbow, it still would have warranted the same PIMs as he hit the guy entirely in the head, and the IIHF has zero tolerance on hitting people in the head.

And that's why hit to the head rule is so stupid. Johansson had no other way to hit D'Amigo who was doing his best Lindros impersonation.

Yeah, according to rule book it was 5+game. But it wasn't elbowing so it was the wrong call technically.

And the rule sucks.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
And that's why hit to the head rule is so stupid. Johansson had no other way to hit D'Amigo who was doing his best Lindros impersonation.

Yeah, according to rule book it was 5+game. But it wasn't elbowing so it was the wrong call technically.

And the rule sucks.

The rule can suck all it wants, but that's not the ref's fault.

I can see how that would be called elbowing on the ice at game speed, especially if it's going to be a 5+ either way.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
This hit is almost the exact same as the Naslund Moore thing years ago

The hit on Naslund was worse IMO. But in many eyes it was his own fault.

For some reason this "nudge" is clearly a cheapshot and a suspension.

Guess we shouldn't compare NHL and WJC hockey.

I think this suspension is a joke btw. Unless the last posters is correct, it wasn't one?

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
It's no secret that the judges wants to look good through the eyes of the canadian hockey-federation since they control a major part of the industry. We saw it in the last JWC, now and we will se it in the olympics, sadly!
Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!

So... if he got suspended it was a fix and they're biased because they want to keep hockey Canada happy.
If he doesn't get suspended its biased and a fix because they want to keep hockey Canada happy.

I'm going to make a bold prediction and say you find at least one thing that's biased and fixed to keep hockey Canada happy in the olympics.
"They're playing on *ice* this olympics?! BIAS! FIX! This is all to keep hockey Canada happy!" :shakehead

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
The hit on Naslund was worse IMO. But in many eyes it was his own fault.

For some reason this "nudge" is clearly a cheapshot and a suspension.

Guess we shouldn't compare NHL and WJC hockey.

I think this suspension is a joke btw. Unless the last posters is correct, it wasn't one?

As far as rules are concerned, no, we shouldn't. The NHL and the IIHF have separate rules concerning this.

mooseOAK*

And the rule sucks.

The rule is great. If the only option a player has to hit is to hit the other guy in the head then the hit shouldn't be made. Kind of like if only the players knee can be hit, don't do it.

The sooner the NHL adopts this rule the better.

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
I agree headshots should be taken out to a certain extent like intentionally tageting the head but i think hits where a guy is leaned over or is reaching for the puck and a part of the other player makes contact with the head in the process of a hit, this has to be allowed.

Guys should not have to stop there hits because a guy is reaching for the puck and trying to make a play.

The rule is great. If the only option a player has to hit is to hit the other guy in the head then the hit shouldn't be made. Kind of like if only the players knee can be hit, don't do it.

mooseOAK*

I agree headshots should be taken out to a certain extent like intentionally tageting the head but i think hits where a guy is leaned over or is reaching for the puck and a part of the other player makes contact with the head in the process of a hit, this has to be allowed.

Guys should not have to stop there hits because a guy is reaching for the puck and trying to make a play.
That wasn't the case here, D'Amigo had already been stripped of the puck by another Swedish player who was in possession of it at the time of the hit. In retrospect Johansson should have been going on offence instead of taking the cheap shot.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

So when players put their head down, they can't be hit anymore.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I won't even try to explain the difference between kneeing and hitting in the head.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
One, Johannson doesnt throw the elbow up. Two, calling out swedish posters is a bit hypocritical after so many Canadians defending the much more blatant elbow by Cormier.

One, you're blind.

Two. BS. Let's call a spade a spade when you defense is "Bawwww but they do it" you've lost all credibility. Get out.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
So when players put their head down, they can't be hit anymore.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I won't even try to explain the difference between kneeing and hitting in the head.

I would think that a hit to the head has far more potential for major injury and life altering affect than kneeing.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
That wasn't the case here, D'Amigo had already been stripped of the puck by another Swedish player who was in possession of it at the time of the hit. In retrospect Johansson should have been going on offence instead of taking the cheap shot.

What the hell have you been watching?? D'Amigo loses the puck MAYBE nanoseconds before the contact, he was still 100% legal target.

Wake up, people get hit even when they don't have the puck. That happens on every level where hitting is legal.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I would think that a hit to the head has far more potential for major injury and life altering affect than kneeing.

Ummm your point being? If you keep your head up and pay attention, there's very little chance of getting hit in the head.

But hey, let's take all hits away and we can all watch the games holding our hands and singing kumbaya.

Sheesh.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Ummm your point being? If you keep your head up and pay attention, there's very little chance of getting hit in the head.

But hey, let's take all hits away and we can all watch the games holding our hands and singing kumbaya.

Sheesh.

ummm even though I don't think that hit was as bad as it looked and the fact an American player in the 1st period hit a Swedish player in the head and it wasn't called...all hits to the head should be called.
The potential of serious injury has to be taken into consideration.
I'm not saying take all hits away, just hits to the head.
And yes, Cormier should have been suspended.

Dado

Johansson NOT suspended for the hit, but Sweden assumed he was? But Sweden didn't submit him into the official lineup, so he can't play tonight.

Apparently, Sweden has naturalized Homer Simpson and put him in charge of the hockey programme.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad