WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The hit on Naslund was worse IMO. But in many eyes it was his own fault.

For some reason this "nudge" is clearly a cheapshot and a suspension.

Guess we shouldn't compare NHL and WJC hockey.

I think this suspension is a joke btw. Unless the last posters is correct, it wasn't one?

For the record, Naslund went down on one knee and fully outstretched his body with his head at waist level while the guy was already in the process of throwing his check.

mooseOAK*

What the hell have you been watching?? D'Amigo loses the puck MAYBE nanoseconds before the contact, he was still 100% legal target.

Wake up, people get hit even when they don't have the puck. That happens on every level where hitting is legal.

Not knowing how long a nanosecond or a clean hit actually are is obviously just a sampling of what you don't know.

Davebo*

It's pretty poor of the Swedish staff to not know the status of their player.

Bob McKenzie said it best - if you assume.....

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
We can still have hitting just eliminate driving an elbow into someone's head. If you want that watch pro wrestling.

You should read the rules. Elbowing is illegal - and should be - but that hit was not elbowing.

Pay attention.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Not knowing how long a nanosecond or a clean hit actually are is obviously just a sampling of what you don't know.

Don't change the subject - you claim that Johansson should have reacted to something which happened just before the hit (we're talking about fractions of second here).

And D'Amigo was 100% legal target by NHL and IIHF standards. If you didn't know that, you got lot to learn.

Wario Lemieux*

You should read the rules. Elbowing is illegal - and should be - but that hit was not elbowing.

Pay attention.
Are you kidding me?! I don't think that Johansson should be responsible for that hit because of the circumstances, but that hit was all elbow. Get your head checked.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Are you kidding me?! I don't think that Johansson should be responsible for that hit because of the circumstances, but that hit was all elbow. Get your head checked.
The point of contact may have been the elbow but the elbow was tucked into the body.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I don't get it.. assumed? Like it was an automatic suspension or what? Pretty big screw-up if that's the case, not for Team Sweden per se, but the fact he couldn't play the bronze game himself. Unless they were given some indications that he was going to be suspended..

edit found this http://hockey.expressen.se/Nyheter/1.1835557/kaptenen-pa-laktaren-men-inte-avstangd

Apparently Rikard Grönborg, the Team Manager was told that MJ was suspended yesterday. But on the warmup someone from IIHF came and told them he wasn't. At that point it was too late to change the lineup. Pretty bull if you ask me, that's not okay.

Last edited:

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
For the record, Naslund went down on one knee and fully outstretched his body with his head at waist level while the guy was already in the process of throwing his check.

In the process my ass. He completed the check and fully knew that.
That's another discussion though, I said earlier that maybe it wasn't good to compare NHL vs WJC. I have no problem with that hit, neither with Ohlunds hit on Zetterberg.

On that note, would you say that Johansson was "in the process"?

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
It's pretty poor of the Swedish staff to not know the status of their player.

Bob McKenzie said it best - if you assume.....

Like MÃ¥rts said when the tournament started, "we are in enemy land".
They don't assume. They play the safe cards.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
More info on the subject.

http://hockey.expressen.se/Nyheter/1.1835557/kaptenen-pa-laktaren-men-inte-avstangd

Some quotes from that article:

"Someone told Rikard Grönborg (team manager), who is an official person, that he is suspended", says Pär Mårts.

"In the warmup another person came and said that Johansson wasn't suspened.!"

Reporter: Bad communication from IIHF then?

"Yes. Someone has told us that he is suspended and right before the game, during warmup someone comes and say that he isn't" says MÃ¥rts

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004

Sigh.

Elbow was tucked to his side so even if the point of the contact was elbow, it wasn't elbowing. Had the elbow been extended, then it would have been a legit elbowing call.

Come on people, learn the basics.

Ralfduran

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
What?

D'Amigo had just been stripped of the puck, so the refs were looking right there. Cormier was way behind the play, and was missed by the on-ice officials. Neither resulted in supplementary discipline on viewing replays, so I'm not really sure where the bias is.

Look again my friend. The ref is standing right behind Cormier! Of course they saw that, and if it was a swede he would without a doubt get suspended for at least one game. But since it's a canadian on home ice, maybe out of respect or loss of willpower nothing happens. Not even 2 min.:naughty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzeOhL8_9g

I am not impressed by the swedes since I think that we have a tendency to get nervous when it comes down to it. But there is no doubt that the canadians sets the standard fo what is allowed and what's not!

Ralfduran

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh and when we are here talking about the politics of the game, why in the world didn't Markstrom get voted for the best goalie of the tournament? Was the swiss goalie that awesome, really? And why do Canada have the best defenseman and forward while USA are the winner? Was is it just me or wasn't Stephan obviously the best forward in this tourny? How is this .... oh yeah ... Canadian votes. :)

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Oh and when we are here talking about the politics of the game, why in the world didn't Markstrom get voted for the best goalie of the tournament? Was the swiss goalie that awesome, really? And why do Canada have the best defenseman and forward while USA are the winner? Was is it just me or wasn't Stephan obviously the best forward in this tourny? How is this .... oh yeah ... Canadian votes. :)

Who actually voted?

Sweden didn't get a single player in the allstar-team.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The rule is great. If the only option a player has to hit is to hit the other guy in the head then the hit shouldn't be made. Kind of like if only the players knee can be hit, don't do it.

The sooner the NHL adopts this rule the better.

And then the new strategy of skating around with your head down is employed. End to end rushes galore!

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008

The MVP as well as the top goalie, defenseman, and forward are voted on by the IIHF directorate. The IIHF, as far as I know, is not comprised of only Canadians. USA were a better team, but that doesn't mean you have the best goalie, defenseman, or forward at the tournament.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Ya, the Canadians are crying all over the boards, over the gold medal they fixed for themselves and still did not get. I feel sorry for them.

How will we ever move on? We'll cry about our 12 straight medals and our previous 5 straight gold.

The better team won last night and hats off to the Americans they deserve it. But let's not spin this around. All tournament it's been "Canada cheats, Sweden is the best wha wha wha"

Your tears, they sustain me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad