WJC: Johansson suspended for D'Amigo hit - edit: not suspended

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I have to be honest, I could give a damn about this hit.

I am REALLY disappointed there wasn't a suspension for the hit on Hamonic. No, not because he's Canadian, but because that was a reckless stupid hit with one minute left in a blowout.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
The TSN broadcast repeatedly said it was a sanctioned game, and that it would be interesting to see if the IIHF came out with anything afterwards about the incident. I don't know if they ever broke down specifically what specifically could or could not happen, but they seemed to emphasize that something could.

Yes, I remember McQuire talking about possible suspension after the hit, but then again, I don't too much attentioon to what McQuire talks about, as he is there to fire up the audience against whomever TC is playing.
My reference was back to the conversation that was had about the refs sending the Swedish kids off the ice without staying for the anthem and handshakes, and that the refs were not IIHF refs not knowing or thinking about that tradition.

Fact remains, MÃ¥rts, the coach, declined to make a report to the IIHF, which would have enabled them to suspend Cromier, but he didn't, claiming that nobody gains from such a report.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
If Johansson doesn't throw the elbow up D'amigo doesn't get hi. You and the rest of the swedish posters defending your captain are laughable.
One, Johannson doesnt throw the elbow up. Two, calling out swedish posters is a bit hypocritical after so many Canadians defending the much more blatant elbow by Cormier.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
It's pretty clear that Johannson did the chicken dance there in the slow mo.

He was flapping the elbow like a rooster. Regardless if it was an "elbow" or a "forearm" D'Amigo got hit in the jaw. That is clear.

Davebo*

One, Johannson doesnt throw the elbow up. Two, calling out swedish posters is a bit hypocritical after so many Canadians defending the much more blatant elbow by Cormier.

Actually, the majority of posts from Canadians I read, and I agree with, were calling for a game suspension, if not worse.

But make up what you want - it's the intarweb... :naughty:

nomorebeers

Jan 16, 2007
...and you are here to monitor who says what and what is okay for them to say?!? :amazed:
I called someone out for making up stuff on HFBoards?!?! :amazed:
Someone called someone out for calling someone out?!?! :amazed:
Someone is now calling someone out for calling someone out for calling someone out?!?! :amazed:

Infinite recursion of web *****iness! Hooray! :help:

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Actually, the majority of posts from Canadians I read, and I agree with, were calling for a game suspension, if not worse.

But make up what you want - it's the intarweb... :naughty:
There were alot that defended it saying it was part of the game and that the swede should have had his head up.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
There were alot that defended it saying it was part of the game and that the swede should have had his head up.

Cormier should have been suspended.

Johansson, whether it was an elbow, shoulder, or whatever, deserved at least the match penalty because of the blindside hit to the head.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
Players keep their head up!, I mean really how hard of a concept is that too follow... anyone having played actual hockey should be able to understand that.

How about players learning how to hit the right way? If you are going to hit a guy you better have him lined up. I don't think there was any ill will but it is what it looks like.

Besides this isn't the NHL or any other Pro League. This is the WJC! In the grand scheme of things this isn't all that important. It certainly isn't worth ruining the careers of promising young players over. Imagine if Taylor Hall was the victim of a similar hit only he was injured and he couldn't play for a while. That would suck! I am glad they call it tight.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Well, according to Mackenzie, Johansson wasn't suspended after all.

TSNBobMcKenzie
Classic WJC story. Marcus Johansson was NOT suspended for today's bronze game. He and Swedes assumed he was suspended. He wasn't.

Ralfduran

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden
It's no secret that the judges wants to look good through the eyes of the canadian hockey-federation since they control a major part of the industry. We saw it in the last JWC, now and we will se it in the olympics, sadly!

Jeffler

See You At Game 3
Dec 7, 2006
North York
theleafsnation.com
It's no secret that the judges wants to look good through the eyes of the canadian hockey-federation since they control a major part of the industry. We saw it in the last JWC, now and we will se it in the olympics, sadly!

Of course that's the reason.

"OMG SUSPENDED!!! CANADIAN BIAS!"
"WAIT HE WASN'T SUSPENDED! IT WAS A TRICK CANADIAN BIAS"

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

What?

D'Amigo had just been stripped of the puck, so the refs were looking right there. Cormier was way behind the play, and was missed by the on-ice officials. Neither resulted in supplementary discipline on viewing replays, so I'm not really sure where the bias is.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
WTF is this? Johansson NOT suspended for the hit, but Sweden assumed he was? But Sweden didn't submit him into the official lineup, so he can't play tonight.

Is this real life?

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

That's downright hilarious, and restores some of my faith in the IIHF's sense of fairness (if not judgement).

I feel bad for the Swedes and it sucks that MoJo won't be able to play, but I can't help but laugh at the whole ordeal if that's accurate.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
That wasn't elbowing, his arm was tucked to his side when he hit D'Amigo.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
That wasn't elbowing, his arm was tucked to his side when he hit D'Amigo.

It was still a hit to the head by the IIHF's definition, given that the only contact was to the head, so that's really irrelevant. On-ice, the ref probably saw it as an elbow, and that's understandable. If it hadn't been called as an elbow, it still would have warranted the same PIMs as he hit the guy entirely in the head, and the IIHF has zero tolerance on hitting people in the head.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Is he supposed to surgically remove his elbow? It was tucked in as much as it could possibly be. If D'amigo doesnt look after the puck he doesnt get hit. As simple as that.

No hits to the head. Why is that concept so difficult to accept? Clearly the referee thought it was illegal. And I'm sure the video of the play was reviewed as well.

Whatever happened to sportsmanship in sports where the officials make the decisions and then the players and coaches abide by those decisions?

I realize whining about "fairness" has become a bit of a national pasttime for both the media and sporting fans here in the US. I hope that's not the case with the rest of the world as well.

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
Just reported on TSN that Johansson was NOT suspended.

The Sweedish team assumed he was and they submitted their offical lineup and left Johansson off the lineup. Eventually Gord Miller a member of TSN informed the Sweeds their captain was not suspended and they wanted to change their lineup but were not allowed to change the offical lineup.

Pretty big screw up from the Sweeds

Kessel>Seguin +

Not Even A Big Fan!!
Sep 16, 2008
Ontario
Johansson not suspended after all

Just reported on TSN that Johansson was NOT suspended.

The Sweedish team assumed he was and they submitted their offical lineup and left Johansson off the lineup. Eventually Gord Miller a member of TSN informed the Sweeds their captain was not suspended and they wanted to change their lineup but were not allowed to change the offical lineup.

After finding out they could not change their lineup they listed he was out with a wrist injury

Pretty big screw up from the Sweeds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad