Prospect Info: Johan Larsson (2013 via trade) – '14-15: Rochester #26 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I like the skill set. I think he can definitely be a useful player. He'll at least be a joy to watch in Rochester, depending on roster situation.

He had great chemistry with ZG during the one playoff game I saw last season. Was ice level and both of them were flying, ZG was playing RW... They'll be a decent 3rd line for us soon.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Johan Larsson

Does he have any future with the Sabres?

I fail to see how he can not be a lock.

In my eyes he is better than Ellis, McCormic etc.

He got some size, grit, defence and decent skill. Heart and soul player.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Personally I think he does, as long as he doesn't mind becoming a 4th line center. There is just too many players higher on the depth charts than him to become anything more the a 3rd line winger. I think that if he continues to raise his stock in the ahl, he'll be used as a great add in to a trade and hopefully receive the credit he deserves.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
McEichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Larsson

Luke Adam... I mean Johan Larsson is slipping down the depth chart pretty fast, if he was 4 years younger I wouldnt doubt he gets an opportunty, but next season he loses waiver eligibility and it looks like we might be running a rookie at 2 and 3c, can Larsson be a third line wing or 4c, probably but I'm not sure how likely it is, wouldnt surprise me to see him moved

definitely on the roster; Kane, Moulson, Ennis, Gionta, Foligno, Girgensons
probably on the roster; Hodgson, McEichel, Reinhart, Deslauriers, Grigorenko

leaves him competing for 1 spot, or requires him being markedly better than 1 of the probables

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Luke Adam... I mean Johan Larsson is slipping down the depth chart pretty fast, if he was 4 years younger I wouldnt doubt he gets an opportunty, but next season he loses waiver eligibility and it looks like we might be running a rookie at 2 and 3c, can Larsson be a third line wing or 4c, probably but I'm not sure how likely it is, wouldnt surprise me to see him moved

leaves him competing for 1 spot, or requires him being markedly better than 1 of the probables

I don't thing he's played center since getting to Rochester.

Also his game is absolutely nothing like Adam's

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't thing he's played center since getting to Rochester.

Also his game is absolutely nothing like Adam's

you're right, he's been getting pushed further and further away from the role he was originally projected when we acquired him, expect it to continue until hes out the door

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

leaves him 2-3 spots

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
leaves him 2-3 spots

That's assuming no more trades before the deadline or at the draft, which is unlikely. I'll bet Murray trades away more pieces, so it's pretty impossible to tell whether there is a spot for Larsson next year.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'd like to see Larsson get the call-up over Grigorenko if they move Mitchell or Stewart without a forward returning.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Assume the top 6 is some combination of Girgs, McEichel, Moulson, Ennis, Reinhart, and Kane. Gionta is the 3rd line RW.

Of the remaining 5 spots Foligno, Flynn, and Deslauriers seem likely to fit in somewhere. I'm going to assume McCormick is on IR until he is actually cleared, blood clots are just too serious.

This leaves two lineup slots and two bench spots for Hodgson, Grigs, and Larsson. Throw in a wild card like Schaller maybe.

And of course trades and FA still have to play out.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
3rd or 4th liner but should be on the Sabres. Great player IMO. Good possessing and two way game. Idk why he's down in the AHL. He may not be offensively skilled but he's better than say Ellis and whatever turnstyle fourth liners we have.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's done absolutely nothing in about 40 NHL games. Next year is probably his last shot to make the roster.
You know who has done nothing when called up to this organization in the last 3 years or so? EVERYBODY. Because this is a garbage roster. Larsson is a 4th liner with possible 3rd line upside. I'm not sure what people expect him to do.

If he's on the wing in the NHL he will replace Kaleta quite nicely.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I can't decide if Larsson is in Rochester for the same reason Pysyk is, or if Nolan just doesn't like him for whatever reason. I thought he played relatively well during his last call-up.

I hope he gets an extended look after the deadline, when the team is gutted. Give him a chance with some more offensive players. Nolan probably won't be around much longer, so if the coach is the issue, he might still have a future with the team.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
He's done absolutely nothing in about 40 NHL games. Next year is probably his last shot to make the roster.

He's got good (relative) possession stats, and played better than a lot of his teammates last time he was up. He was rewarded by having his ice time slashed, and being sent back to the AHL.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I can't decide if Larsson is in Rochester for the same reason Pysyk is, or if Nolan just doesn't like him for whatever reason. I thought he played relatively well during his last call-up.

I hope he gets an extended look after the deadline, when the team is gutted. Give him a chance with some more offensive players. Nolan probably won't be around much longer, so if the coach is the issue, he might still have a future with the team.

He should be a Nolan kind of guy. You know. Grit. Compete. Nolan should like him. I get the feeling that Murray wants to protect his prospects from the tank.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Why Larsson hasn't been in Buffalo all season still puzzles me.

I'd prefer he were in Buffalo. I don't take issue with it, though. Let him round out his offensive game (which I think everyone will agree will be limited at this level) in Rochester.

I'd like to see him center Deslauriers and Gionta on the fourth line all of next season.

It's clearly not a case of Murray liking "his guys" over Larsson. He probably just thinks a guy like Ellis is better suited to skate eight minutes a game than Larsson, who should be skating 20 in the AHL.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
According to Wild fans back in the day, he was supposed to have top 6 upside. They seemed pretty bummed out when he got traded. And if you look at how he's doing in Roch one could think there's some offense upside left. Maybe that's the reason he's still down there. That and the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad