Prospect Info: Johan Larsson (2013 via trade) – '14-15: Rochester #26 (AHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
According to Wild fans back in the day, he was supposed to have top 6 upside. They seemed pretty bummed out when he got traded. And if you look at how he's doing in Roch one could think there's some offense upside left. Maybe that's the reason he's still down there. That and the tank.

As someone who watched Larsson closely in Sweden, I can tell you that he does have offense upside. However, I doubt that will translate to NHL-level. But what should be Larsson's edge and what should give him a shot at the NHL is his allround ability. He is a hard working defensively reliable center/winger who will kill penalties and make himself useful on a checking and/or shutdown line, while having skill enough to also be useful as a bump up in case of injuries. But all of this is, of course, if he can translate his skill to NHL-level. I like Larsson a lot and want him to succeed, but time is running out.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Wasn't he pissed he was called up and then placed on the 4th line? I seem to distinctly recall an interview a few months back. If so I can't see him having any interest in sticking around 'cause that's the role he will most likely play here.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
Wasn't he pissed he was called up and then placed on the 4th line?
willy_nilly.gif

If he can make himself valuable with the big club after the TDL flush him out in a deal.

Aapo

Jan 16, 2011
His production in the AHL:
12/13: 0,59 PPG
13/14: 0,80 PPG
15/16: on pace for 0,90 PPG (which is team leading as well as his +12).

That looks like steady progression to me. Only concern is his production in the NHL, but as mentioned earlier that has a lot of other factors involved. Too early to give up on him or pencil him down as a 4th liner IMO.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to see Larsson get the call-up over Grigorenko if they move Mitchell or Stewart without a forward returning.

3rd or 4th liner but should be on the Sabres. Great player IMO. Good possessing and two way game. Idk why he's down in the AHL. He may not be offensively skilled but he's better than say Ellis and whatever turnstyle fourth liners we have.

Count me in that camp as well....

or if Nolan just doesn't like him for whatever reason. I thought he played relatively well during his last call-up.

...but unfortunately, that's the obvious crux when Larsson keeps getting only 6-7 minutes of ice time whenever he's called up. Just like Ruff had some players he wouldn't give serious opportunities to, it seems Nolan has an issue with Larsson. For the life of me, I can't see how Larsson would be any worse of an option than Matt Ellis, Torrey Mitchell or Cody McCormick - 3 role players that Nolan seems to adore.

Sadly, unless Nolan is replaced in the offseason, I'm not sure Larsson will be interested in accepting a new contract offer from Buffalo. His quotes the last time he got sent down seemed to ring of annoyance with Nolan not trusting him or giving him much margin for error.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
West Seneca, NY
Here's a few choice quotes from Bill Hoppe's latest article.

Upon getting demoted to Rochester in early January, Larsson voiced his displeasure with having to skate on the fourth line in the NHL, a complaint that irked Nolan.“Yeah, I was upset,†Nolan said. “Players play. The tail can’t wag the dog.â€

What must Larsson do to break through?

“I don’t really know, probably produce more, I guess,†he said. Larsson still believes he has an opportunity here. The Sabres will likely deal more players before the March 2 deadline. More moves could create a regular spot for Larsson.

“I’m just going to wait and see what happens,†Larsson said.

Did the Sabres ask Larsson to keep quiet about his linemates?

“I don’t know,†he said. “I don’t really talk about that.â€

I know tone doesn't really carry across text, but from reading that, he does not seem like a very happy player.

Full article: http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/johan-larsson-ready-for-fresh-opportunity-with-sabres/

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Here's a few choice quotes from Bill Hoppe's latest article.

I know tone doesn't really carry across text, but from reading that, he does not seem like a very happy player.

Full article: http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/johan-larsson-ready-for-fresh-opportunity-with-sabres/

I hate when players whine about ice time or line mates. Just keep playing hard and good things will happen. I like Larsson, but he needs to be a pro. He'll get his chances - especially after the trade deadline.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I hate it that being a "pro" means unable to respond honestly to comments made by the coach publicly and then repeated by team-endorsed "media" until whatever the coach happened to say has magically become "true", following a guy around the neck for the balance of his career.

I get it that the public wants the coach's assessment of things, and I get that if players were to routinely honestly say what they think of their coach's comments then we'd rapidly see a total break down of the all the empty we-is-all-good-together-and-we-is-just-want-points mantra.

But in no other profession (that I can think of?) is it appropriate, much less the norm, for one's employer/boss to publicly dissect the employee and the employee has no rebuttal recourse.

And of course, it wouldn't be such a one-sided deal if the team-sponsored media actually expressed their own opinions rather than repeating managment's comments as gossip, and if there weren't so many wanna-be "pro" writers who copy 'n paste each others blog entries (and anon discussion board postings) to publish as so-called "articles".

Sigh. K, rant over. Life's just not fair. Got it.

Larsson is a kid, he'll learn to keep his mouth shut about what he really thinks soon enough. They mostly all do.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Count me in that camp as well....

...but unfortunately, that's the obvious crux when Larsson keeps getting only 6-7 minutes of ice time whenever he's called up. Just like Ruff had some players he wouldn't give serious opportunities to, it seems Nolan has an issue with Larsson. For the life of me, I can't see how Larsson would be any worse of an option than Matt Ellis, Torrey Mitchell or Cody McCormick - 3 role players that Nolan seems to adore.

Sadly, unless Nolan is replaced in the offseason, I'm not sure Larsson will be interested in accepting a new contract offer from Buffalo. His quotes the last time he got sent down seemed to ring of annoyance with Nolan not trusting him or giving him much margin for error.

It's pretty likely Nolan will be gone by next season. and Larsson should get more of an opportunity after the deadline, when more forwards are moved out.

For it being his 4th game in 5 nights, I thought he played really well last night.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Nolan just said on WGR this morning that he didn't appreciate Larsson complaining about how he was used and his ice time after he was sent back to the Amerks the last time. Nolan said it was disrespectful and told Larsson just that.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Nolan has always been the coach that has some players he loves and then others that find the way to his doghouse and will never be able to get out. I am happy he will be gone after this season.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Nolan just said on WGR this morning that he didn't appreciate Larsson complaining about how he was used and his ice time after he was sent back to the Amerks the last time. Nolan said it was disrespectful and told Larsson just that.

Sigh. I agree that Larsson shouldn't have complained about his ice time. But, Nolan going back in the media and complaining about his complaining? That's just embarrassing. Keep it in the room Teddy.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Hey Teddy, do you know what's disrespectful? Being one of the worst teams in the history of the NHL ... talk about dissing your fans.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Sigh. I agree that Larsson shouldn't have complained about his ice time. But, Nolan going back in the media and complaining about his complaining? That's just embarrassing. Keep it in the room Teddy.

Nolan has always loved drama, the guy has had issues everywhere he has gone

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
He should be here down the stretch and next year. His value around the league is minimal right now in all likelihood, I'd much rather keep him and hope that he becomes an important role player in the bottom six.

There should be a spot for him on the roster, especially if McCormick's injury carries into next year. He may not have a spot in the top 12, but there will inevitably be injuries.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I can't decide if Larsson is in Rochester for the same reason Pysyk is, or if Nolan just doesn't like him for whatever reason. I thought he played relatively well during his last call-up.

I hope he gets an extended look after the deadline, when the team is gutted. Give him a chance with some more offensive players. Nolan probably won't be around much longer, so if the coach is the issue, he might still have a future with the team.

Considering Nolan has no say over who is here and who is in Rochester. I can safely say he is not why. And it was after Larsson went down and made his comments that Nolan got mad at him.

I like Larsson and hope he is part of our bottom 6 going forward. But more important than him watching his mouth so as to not anger his coach is the locker room. I can't imagine his previous linemates appreciated him basically blaming them along with his ice time for his struggles. That must have been a fun first day back for Larsson. Hey guys, yeah I didn't really mean to say you were holding me back.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Considering Nolan has no say over who is here and who is in Rochester. I can safely say he is not why. And it was after Larsson went down and made his comments that Nolan got mad at him.

I like Larsson and hope he is part of our bottom 6 going forward. But more important than him watching his mouth so as to not anger his coach is the locker room. I can't imagine his previous linemates appreciated him basically blaming them along with his ice time for his struggles. That must have been a fun first day back for Larsson. Hey guys, yeah I didn't really mean to say you were holding me back.

Tim Murray has to factor in how a player is/will be used when he makes the call, though. That's part of his comments when he sent down Reinhart as well.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tim Murray has to factor in how a player is/will be used when he makes the call, though. That's part of his comments when he sent down Reinhart as well.

Your not following. The poster I quoted wonder if nolan is why Larsson was in Rochester. The answer was no. And Nolan only got angry with commnets Larsson made after he was sent down the last time.

And reinhart again? Really? Kid wasn't physically ready.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Those of you that don't like Larsson should listen to what Andrew Peters said about him this morning. My oh my what a baboon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad