Player Discussion Joel Persson: Persson of Interest (Recalled, 12-03-19))

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Persson is kind of in a weird spot.

The way I see it, is that Bear and Larsson have the top 4 on lock-down. That leaves him to compete for a 3rd pairing job against Benning and Jones.

Persson played 10 games for us... let's see Jones get 10 games and then see how we're feeling.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Persson is kind of in a weird spot.

The way I see it, is that Bear and Larsson have the top 4 on lock-down. That leaves him to compete for a 3rd pairing job against Benning and Jones.

Persson played 10 games for us... let's see Jones get 10 games and then see how we're feeling.

Unless Jones really shows a lot more than he has so far you don't play him 7 more games and just hope he doesn't sink the team.

He gets one more forsure but then Larsson is back. After that he has to show more than Russell Benning +.

As much as I am not a big fan of Benning it's hard to imagine Jones beating out anyone once Larsson is back.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Unfortunate send down. I really thought that he brought a solid balance to our pairings. It's unfortunate Tippett never saw it. It kind of sends a bad message though that he's sent down after being part of an 8-1-1 record. I haven't really had a chance to see any of the games that Jones has been involved in since I've been busy, but from what I'm hearing he's not doing any better than Persson did. All of you saying this is good for him and he'll be back better than ever I think are wishful thinkers. This is one of those occasions where I think this ends up being a guy that will finish the year being jerked around by the org and he'll head back to Europe at the end of the season. Lost for nothing. We've seen it happen a lot over the past decade. It's pretty obvious Tippett doesn't like him at all. Pulling him out after a 6-2 blowout win then sending him down two games later. I don't think I'd be too happy being him, considering both of the players he was replaced with he's performed better than.

Reactions: Aerchon

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
He is not in NHL shape according to Strudwick and the game is coming too fast for him right now plain and simple. He needs games and probably an entire season in the AHL.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is not in NHL shape according to Strudwick and the game is coming too fast for him right now plain and simple. He needs games and probably an entire season in the AHL.
Depends upon for what?
He can hold his own in NHL but Oilers want him to be more than that. Ripening him on AHL for 20-40 games will only make him better when we call him up.
No one should be upset about this demotion. We should send Jones down as well once Manning is healthy enough to be #7.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Having continual 4+day gaps in games will certainly crub that.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We have too many D-men. We’re going to lose out on 1 or 2 if we’re not proactive.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So now AHL is more physically demanding than NHL?

That's the first time I hear that line, usually players/coaches/everyone claims the opposite.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So now AHL is more physically demanding than NHL?

That's the first time I hear that line, usually players/coaches/everyone claims the opposite.
I don't think the games themselves are more physical demanding, but the schedule itself is quite demanding. Lots of back to backs or 3 games in 4 nights.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We have too many D-men. We’re going to lose out on 1 or 2 if we’re not proactive.
Part of the problem is not having a healthy defense this year right from the gate. The other part is Holland wants to see what he has in these young guys before unloading them.

Heck would anyone have cared 3 months ago if Bear was dealt?

With Larsson coming back hopefully he gets a real good look at this defense and identifies who should be here for next year and who he should try to move.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
After years of complaining that prospects were being ruined by rushing them into the NHL we’re now complaining about sending a guy down to develop and adjust to the North American game. Never change HFOil.

After he has successfully played 10+ games in a top 4 role...

That's ass backwards as it gets.

Skipped the whole bottom pairing thing on his way up and then down is very strange.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't think the games themselves are more physical demanding, but the schedule itself is quite demanding. Lots of back to backs or 3 games in 4 nights.
Of course, but it's different playing AHL opposition than NHL. If a good player get tired they can slow down a bit and recover, if they're already playing at their limit getting tired can really hurt the team.

Also, have a look at the December schedule for Bakersfield. On three occassions they have a 5+ days break. Right now they're going into an intense period, but that lasts for a bit more than a week. Then they have a long rest. Also Persson right now should be well-rested.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Depends upon for what?
He can hold his own in NHL but Oilers want him to be more than that. Ripening him on AHL for 20-40 games will only make him better when we call him up.
No one should be upset about this demotion. We should send Jones down as well once Manning is healthy enough to be #7.

I disagree be can hold his own in the NHL now, as the game speeds up as the season goes along. I agree that time in the AHL will be beneficial for
him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Unfortunate send down. I really thought that he brought a solid balance to our pairings. It's unfortunate Tippett never saw it. It kind of sends a bad message though that he's sent down after being part of an 8-1-1 record. I haven't really had a chance to see any of the games that Jones has been involved in since I've been busy, but from what I'm hearing he's not doing any better than Persson did. All of you saying this is good for him and he'll be back better than ever I think are wishful thinkers. This is one of those occasions where I think this ends up being a guy that will finish the year being jerked around by the org and he'll head back to Europe at the end of the season. Lost for nothing. We've seen it happen a lot over the past decade. It's pretty obvious Tippett doesn't like him at all. Pulling him out after a 6-2 blowout win then sending him down two games later. I don't think I'd be too happy being him, considering both of the players he was replaced with he's performed better than.

We have seen this too much.

The "organization" sees stuff in certain players. Demotes or jerks them around like this.

I find it extremely suspicious that Persson got the #4 job right out of camp, where his physical condition is examined with a fine tooth comb, and plays very well through ten games in a top 4 role, then gets sent down. Very suspicious and very stupid.

One of those situations where I think the organization should just be honest rather than make stuff up.

They want a look at Jones before Larsson gets back.

The pairing of Nurse Bear is currently set. Ditto Russell and Benning. That leaves Klefbom and Larsson.

They have even over used Manning so far this year.

Laggesson got a call up and didn't even see nhl time.

They need/want to see Jones and Persson, despite his success, is still just a rookie and Tippet doesn't want more then one in the line up.

Persson was notably better than Russell, Benning, and Jones while paired with Klefbom and just better than Manning period. But that doesn't seem to matter to a vet heavy philosophy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
After he has successfully played 10+ games in a top 4 role...

That's ass backwards as it gets.

Skipped the whole bottom pairing thing on his way up and then down is very strange.

This part bugs me.

If the guy is struggling in the top4(and I don't think he was even struggling), the obvious spot to move him to next is the third pairing.

Same thing for Larsson. You've got a player who hasn't played for close to two months. Easing him back on the third pairing instead of throwing him back in the top4(basically a guarantee he ends up beside Klef) would again be the obvious spot to do that.

The coaches thinking Benning is basically irreplaceable on the third pairing despite it being one of the most sheltered third pairings in the entire NHL boggles my mind.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
This part bugs me.

If the guy is struggling in the top4(and I don't think he was even struggling), the obvious spot to move him to next is the third pairing.

Same thing for Larsson. You've got a player who hasn't played for close to two months. Easing him back on the third pairing instead of throwing him back in the top4(basically a guarantee he ends up beside Klef) would again be the obvious spot to do that.

The coaches thinking Benning is basically irreplaceable on the third pairing despite it being one of the most sheltered third pairings in the entire NHL boggles my mind.

Add in not really improved. He really doesn't do anything well. He panics with the puck and isn't the best defensively. I don't get how of all the guys he keeps drawing in. I think Perrson plays 10-20 games in the AHL and takes over for Benning.

Reactions: ujju2

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This part bugs me.

The only explanation is Russell, Manning and Benning all being advertised for a trade.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I have no issues with sending Persson to the AHL to get him some time and maybe build up some confidence. I have generally liked his play but there are times where he seems too tentative.

I really dont understand sending him down at the moment though. I assume the pairings will be Nurse/Bear, Klefbom/Larsson, Russell/Benning once Larsson comes back shortly. So why keep Jones up, unless they are planning on actually playing him? Maybe they will be but I cant see them dropping Russell or Benning out of the lineup. Seems like it makes more sense to keep Persson up as a #7 guy then Jones, especially considering that the right side is weaker than the left side on this team. They could play Russell and Persson a bit too. Unless Manning is coming back, and they want to run him as the #7 who rarely plays.

I dont really get it. Tippett doesnt seem to be a Persson fan though to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad