Player Discussion Joel Persson: Persson of Interest (Recalled, 12-03-19))

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm loving the depth we have on D this year... we can actually ease Larsson back from injury. Nurse/Bear can carry the load for a couple games then we give those two pairs roughly even minutes.

Reactions: Aerchon

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Imo I think Persson replaces Benning.

Benning can't cover for injury and is bottom pair only. His cap can also be better used elsewhere.

Reactions: nabob and ujju2

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
dumb Persson sent down he better then Jones and Benning
Persson looks exhausted though.
He needs a break, and one where he can still play. The NHL schedule is clearly getting to him.
He will come back in a month, refreshed and ready. Maybe Jones can get some 3rd pair games, let Benning sit out some games (he's looking a bit tired too)
Maybe Bouchard gets a look in a bit too.

Its a way bigger jump from Junior to the NHL than it was even 5 years ago. I used to watch a lot of junior back then. I would say the WHL was closest to the pro-game vs most other leagues. But now its nothing like the NHL. The junior game is so spread out, the NHL game is all about full 5-man puck support.
The amount a D man has to learn is massive.
Thats why i didn't like all the people clamoring for Bear on the PP early on. He had enough to learn and worry about, he needs to ease into it. I'm glad he's getting a bit of time now, but early on is way too much. You've seen it across the board with rookie D who put up good numbers on the PP, they don't learn the other parts of the game as well. (look at Slavin and Paryko vs Ghostibere)

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I love Persson, but with Larsson coming back, and Jones earning his stripes, I'm okay with him going down to Bakersfield and really level up his North American game. They're not doing so hot right now down there, they're really missing Bear and P.Russell. But Persson should add a dynamic element, and maybe a perfect pairing for Bouchard

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Honestly they're just giving Jones another sample of the NHL game. Once Larsson is back Jones either ends up on the third pair as per your wish, or back in Bako.

He needs a break, and one where he can still play. The NHL schedule is clearly getting to him.
He will come back in a month, refreshed and ready. Maybe Jones can get some 3rd pair games, let Benning sit out some games (he's looking a bit tired too)

Its a way bigger jump from Junior to the NHL than it was even 5 years ago. I used to watch a lot of junior back then. I would say the WHL was closest to the pro-game vs most other leagues. But now its nothing like the NHL. The junior game is so spread out, the NHL game is all about full 5-man puck support.
Thats why i didn't like all the people clamoring for Bear on the PP early on. He had enough to learn and worry about, he needs to ease into it. I'm glad he's getting a bit of time now, but early on is way too much. You've seen it across the board with rookie D who put up good numbers on the PP, they don't learn the other parts of the game as well. (look at Slavin and Paryko vs Ghostibere)

I agree that they are m9st likely just getting Jones some more nhl time.

Persson looks exhausted? I really don't have any concern with Persson. For being in the top 4 from day one the amount of mistakes he makes is so few. A great nhl debut.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I really hope Persson comes back, Because then we can have Larsson as a tradebait for a good top6:er to Nuge and Neal, wich is REALLY needed, even if Archibald has made a good try, the spo on that line is to hard and big task for Archibald to fill.

Who could imagine that Neal would be a part of a shutdownline, in wich he finds himself in now.

Of C. we can try to keep Larsson, but that as a bottom 4 D with a caphit for 4,3 million. While I think getting something for Benning wont net the same return as Larsson. You got to be real here. ANd Benning has played OK.

This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Bear doesn’t need to learn how to play on the PP. that’s like saying Drai needed to learn how to make a backhand pass or McDavid needed to learn how to stick handle at speed. He’s a natural on the PP. he’s better at it right now than and Dman on our roster. Hell the PP goal he scored the other game would never of happened with any other Dman on the squad on the ice in his place.

Using your Slavin/Paryko vs Ghost comparison is silly. You took two guys who were much better defensive defensemen in game one of their NHL careers and compared them to a guy who will never be that good in his own zone at the peak of his career, no matter if he plays on the PP or not. Bear’s game hasn’t improved by leaps and bounds this year from last because he was kept of the PP to start the season. It improved because he worked damn hard on his skating and strength during the offseason for the first time in his career.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I really hope Persson comes back, Because then we can have Larsson as a tradebait for a good top6:er to Nuge and Neal, wich is REALLY needed, even if Archibald has made a good try, the spo on that line is to hard and big task for Archibald to fill.

Who could imagine that Neal would be a part of a shutdownline, in wich he finds himself in now.

Of C. we can try to keep Larsson, but that as a bottom 4 D with a caphit for 4,3 million. While I think getting something for Benning wont net the same return as Larsson. You got to be real here. ANd Benning has played OK.

This is just my opinion.

Nothing about Persson’s skill set potentially makes Larsson available.

just because Neal is playing on a “shutdown line” (which he isn’t) doesn’t mean that Persson can magically become a shutdown Dman.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Good news

Nurse/Bear
Klef/Larsson
Russell/Benning or Jones

Interesting to see how this works. Would seemingly allow Larsson / Klef to play more minutes and then you can take Bear off the PK and put him on the PP.

It be funny if we started losing with Larsson back

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Too bad Persson doesnt continue up. Being rich onD is a good thing. We can trade for offensive help. Why has newcomers always a hard time in Edmonton??

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If conditioning is the issue sending him to a league where he plays 2 games on the weekend and than 5 days off isn't exactly going to do much right now.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

Vader611

Nov 8, 2019
Imo I think Persson replaces Benning.

Benning can't cover for injury and is bottom pair only. His cap can also be better used elsewhere.
I'm sure this is short term, Holland has to be looking to swap Benning for a 3rd liner.
Glad they aren't letting Persson rot in the press box, keep him playing games

Reactions: nabob and snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think it’s the right move.

Persson should dominate at the AHL level and play big minutes for Bakersfield taking some pressure off Bouchard on the right side.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
If conditioning is the issue sending him to a league where he plays 2 games on the weekend and than 5 days off isn't exactly going to do much right now.
Larsson always dominates the yearly fitness testing. I'm sure it'll come back quickly for someone like him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
dumb Persson sent down he better then Jones and Benning
If you really believe that (and I think he has a chance to be that), then you should embrace this move as a good one for him to gain some confidence, gain more experience in the North American game, and allows him to get lots of minutes in. I think it will do him a world of good.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Too bad Persson doesnt continue up. Being rich onD is a good thing. We can trade for offensive help. Why has newcomers always a hard time in Edmonton??

Because we used to throw them into positions to fail, due to our lack of depth and dumb management. Persson is one of the lucky ones now that will be able to benefit from being eased in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad