Player Discussion Joel Persson: Persson of Interest (Recalled, 12-03-19))

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I hope that he gets back into the lineup as quickly as possible

I think we need to trust Tippet, when Edmonton has overused coaches last years (due to incompetent GM:ing, but anyway...). I do think Tippet is one of the smarter ones ( McLellan on the same level actually).

No one can be the perfect coach, you cant make everyone happy at the same time, - BUT -
I think its evident that Persson brings that important element to the team, even if he has that element to his game, where he takes to much risks. - IF - they can make him develope /AHL is not a developement leauge, its a competition leauge, where payers show wich one who can produce and have much competivness).
If aplyer comes from AHL to NHL, there will still be a aclimitazing period neede, to adjust to the tempo and diffrent play. Act. its quite unfair to a AHL player to prove himself in one - two NHL games.

BUT if you as me, Let Persson play 5 games of AHL, before his NHL tempo is lost in him, and take him back to NHL.
Foremost the team needs his transition game,

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Back up as Benning goes back to the IR. Probably best case scenario for him to get back into the lineup. He'll be heavily sheltered behind Larsson and Bear but will likely get some EV ice time with Klefbom.

The unfortunate part for some is that we get to see Manning draw in in the instance Persson has a poor showing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Back up as Benning goes back to the IR. Probably best case scenario for him to get back into the lineup. He'll be heavily sheltered behind Larsson and Bear but will likely get some EV ice time with Klefbom.

The unfortunate part for some is that we get to see Manning draw in in the instance Persson has a poor showing.
I disagree, Manning is a left shot and clearly a step down from everyone else on the blueline. Most of Manning's time was poor and when Persson was banged up.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't think you understand what the point of the AHL is, actually. Apparently all it took was 6 games for Persson to get into "game shape", though.

I didn't get this whole game shape business thingy.

He was doing just fine. I think the conditioning stuff was just an excuse. I would bet the organization had a plan from day one to rotate all our promising young defenceman through out the year.

Reactions: Keggatron

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I didn't get this whole game shape business thingy.

He was doing just fine. I think the conditioning stuff was just an excuse. I would bet the organization had a plan from day one to rotate all our promising young defenceman through out the year.

I trust Strudwicks judgement on Persson not being in Game shape more than I would trust the average HF poster who watches the games on TV and doesnt watch practices.

That aside....he was only just fine when he had time and space...when he didnt his game suffered and mistakes happened with regularity.

He needed the AHL time if not to get in better shape then at the very least to adjust to the lack of time and space on NHL ice.

I am glad he was sent down and I am even more glad he is back.
Now we can see if the AHL time made a difference. :nod:

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I trust Strudwicks judgement on Persson not being in Game shape more than I would trust the average HF poster who watches the games on TV and doesnt watch practices.

That aside....he was only just fine when he had time and space...when he didnt his game suffered and mistakes happened with regularity.

He needed the AHL time if not to get in better shape then at the very least to adjust to the lack of time and space on NHL ice.

I am glad he was sent down and I am even more glad he is back.
Now we can see if the AHL time made a difference. :nod:

I honestly didn't see his game suffer much or the supposed many mistakes.

I'm a huge Bear fan but even he makes mistakes.

Even the best of the best still make mistakes or just get beat cleanly. It's the nhl.

Persson imo was better playing with Klefbom in an actual top 4 role than Russell, Larsson, Benning, and Jones. Even if ever so slightly.

All a moot point. He is back. I hope his ahl stint did improve... his whatever it was that was supposedly not working... and he is even better.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agree with @Aerchon He's been the best partner Klefbom has had this year. I think that's a bit more of an indictment on the other options for that right side slot than it is praise for Persson but I'm not sure we've got a better option right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I honestly didn't see his game suffer much or the supposed many mistakes.

I'm a huge Bear fan but even he makes mistakes.

Even the best of the best still make mistakes or just get beat cleanly. It's the nhl.

Persson imo was better playing with Klefbom in an actual top 4 role than Russell, Larsson, Benning, and Jones. Even if ever so slightly.

All a moot point. He is back. I hope his ahl stint did improve... his whatever it was that was supposedly not working... and he is even better.

Persson by my eye was absolutely fine when he had time but he really struggled under pressure. I was worried for him because if that kept up then it was going to affect him as a player.

I was very happy to see Tippett pull him out of the lineup and send him down.

Bear is really good under pressure...he might be one of the best dman on the team in that regard and thats quite amazing IMO. Thats not to say that he doesnt make mistakes but he never gives up on a play which is something I saw Persson doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad