Player Discussion Joel Persson: Persson of Interest (Recalled, 12-03-19))

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll go on record as saying that I'm not sure if he's a long term fit here as of this time. That said he has been our 2nd best RHD in Larsson's absence by a country mile. If he proves to be a solution here then this will be a great signing for us. In the meantime he allows us not to have Russell or Benning a our 2nd pairing RD so for that alone I am thankful for him being an Oiler!

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'll go on record as saying that I'm not sure if he's a long term fit here as of this time. That said he has been our 2nd best RHD in Larsson's absence by a country mile. If he proves to be a solution here then this will be a great signing for us. In the meantime he allows us not to have Russell or Benning a our 2nd pairing RD so for that alone I am thankful for him being an Oiler!

I think when Larsson comes back I move Persson down to 3RD and pair Larsson with Klefbomb.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
He’s been a very pleasant surprise and has done a fantastic job filling the hole at 2nd pair RD especially with lars down. A perfect stop gap to buy us time for the younger guys to develop as well.

All that and he’s still only got 7 games of nhl experience. I could see him putting up a few more points as his confidence playing the NHL game grows too. His shot seems quite underrated, and he moves the puck decently well.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think when Larsson comes back I move Persson down to 3RD and pair Larsson with Klefbomb.
I don’t think we should count on larsson being ready for top 4 duty at all this season. His last couple years have been rough and he’s gonna take a while to get his legs under him after this injury.

Ideally persson continues to grow into the role and larsson takes bennings spot on the third pair. Then next season we go into TC with the spot up for grabs between larsson, the rookies, and persson if we re sign him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers record with Persson in the lineup: 6-1-0
Oilers record without Persson in the lineup: 4-3-1

Puck movement from the back end is a necessity in today's NHL.
Yes. I don't even know if Persson is truly that good. We just need his skills so much that it's like a weight is lifted from the team when we have him instead Manning. I don't even think Manning has been that bad this season. If we had a D filled with Persson types, we could want to add Manning.

Reactions: iCanada

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes. I don't even know if Persson is truly that good. We just need his skills so much that it's like a weight is lifted from the team when we have him instead Manning. I don't even think Manning has been that bad this season. If we had a D filled with Persson types, we could want to add Manning.
I think at worst he's a solid bottom pairing puck moving D who defends alright, and has some untapped offensive potential. He buys time for another development year for Lagesson and Jones, and may give us the freedom to move out Russell and Benning this summer to make room for Lagesson/Jones/Bouchard.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think at worst he's a solid bottom pairing puck moving D who defends alright, and has some untapped offensive potential. He buys time for another development year for Lagesson and Jones, and may give us the freedom to move out Russell and Benning this summer to make room for Lagesson/Jones/Bouchard.
I was very worried about our D this summer, after Vancouver added some great puck movers back there, and other teams upgrading. So I'm very pleased with what Persson has brought.

I do think we will look to move Russell. He's worth his cap hit, but in today's NHL, if you can create 4 million in cap space, you can do a ton of good with it. I'd like to keep Russell but he is a luxury.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was very worried about our D this summer, after Vancouver added some great puck movers back there, and other teams upgrading. So I'm very pleased with what Persson has brought.

I do think we will look to move Russell. He's worth his cap hit, but in today's NHL, if you can create 4 million in cap space, you can do a ton of good with it. I'd like to keep Russell but he is a luxury.
Definitely. Both he and Bear have made such a positive impact on this team. I would like to see Lagesson and/or Jones get some NHL games in this year to gauge their readiness for next year. If you could deal Russell and Benning for picks or 3rd line help then I think you have to do it because of the cap space if frees up to help the forward group out.

Ask me in 30 games, but if Bear and Persson keep up their current play I would be more than fine going into next season as this top 7D:

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Persson
Lagesson/Jones-Larsson
Lagesson/Jones

That gives one of the young guys a veteran partner in Larsson to break in with, and it gives you the freedom of not having to rush Bouchard if he's not ready, but also leaves the door open if he forces your hand. I personally believe Lagesson and Jones could both play bottom pairing in the NHL right now and not look out of place, and I believe Bouchard will also be ready for that next season (I personally think he could right now, but I'm more than fine with bringing him along slowly).

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Definitely. Both he and Bear have made such a positive impact on this team. I would like to see Lagesson and/or Jones get some NHL games in this year to gauge their readiness for next year. If you could deal Russell and Benning for picks or 3rd line help then I think you have to do it because of the cap space if frees up to help the forward group out.

Ask me in 30 games, but if Bear and Persson keep up their current play I would be more than fine going into next season as this top 7D:

Nurse-Bear
Klefbom-Persson
Lagesson/Jones-Larsson
Lagesson/Jones

That gives one of the young guys a veteran partner in Larsson to break in with, and it gives you the freedom of not having to rush Bouchard if he's not ready, but also leaves the door open if he forces your hand. I personally believe Lagesson and Jones could both play bottom pairing in the NHL right now and not look out of place, and I believe Bouchard will also be ready for that next season (I personally think he could right now, but I'm more than fine with bringing him along slowly).

When I read posts like this, I actually hinks that some posters could be better GMs than some real GMs, it makes much sense. And we has had with Russell a 4 million 3 pair Dman before, I think Larsosn is perfect fit for a 3rd pair, best as a 2nd pair right now. When all stars align, and he finds his game, he is a 1 pair high miniutes logging complimentary stay at home Dman. But he isnt there right now.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
He is a way better defender then I thought he would be. Him and Bear were noticeably effective against Crosby last game.

I'm excited to see how he looks after he becomes a little more accustomed to the league.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think Persson could be a solid bottom pairing Dman....he isnt there yet.

Having him play in the AHL for a few weeks is an excellent idea.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I also think it is a good idea to get him a stretch of games with Bakersfield. There is definitely a player in there, but he needs a bit of time and patience. I am just happy we can afford to give him that time, some years ago we'd have no choice but to have him play with the big boys due to lack of depth.

If he tops out as a 3rd pair D that would be great, I wouldn't put it past him to get higher though. He's been a player breaking expectations at every stage of his career so far (and not always instantly). I really like the look of our D depth right now, that's also why I hate all the proposals to ship out Ds for forward help.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Yup, good decision. He's shown some nice smarts and puck movement and good offensive vision and shot, but can definitely use some time down there to get used to the pace and decision making. He's looked a little overwhelmed too many times in his own end, but totally understandable.

Reactions: LaGu

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Yup, good decision. He's shown some nice smarts and puck movement and good offensive vision and shot, but can definitely use some time down there to get used to the pace and decision making. He's looked a little overwhelmed too many times in his own end, but totally understandable.

Thats exactly what I was seeing too. Persson has some tools for sure and his intelligence and calmness are such an important part of who he is as a player.
I really like him and like @LaGu said I wouldnt put it past Persson to possibly be better than a bottom pairing Dman if he can fully adjust to the NHL game.

Reactions: Oilhawks and ujju2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
To me it looks to be mostly that he's not used to pressure and checking from the opposition fwds. That is a lot more tough and fast than in the SHL and he'll definitely see a lot of that also at the AHL level. It may be more, but for me that is the main issue for him right now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To me it looks to be mostly that he's not used to pressure and checking from the opposition fwds. That is a lot more tough and fast than in the SHL and he'll definitely see a lot of that also at the AHL level. It may be more, but for me that is the main issue for him right now.

I completely agree with this.
My hope is that he can process the game a bit easier in the AHL and then take the next step to the increased speed of play in the NHL. If he can do that then the Oilers will have a gem.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have not seen enough of Jones. What little I have has been more bad than good. Some bad giveaways. Poor decision making. Gets walked. Especially his overall positioning.

Jones has made more mistakes in his limited time than Persson in many more games.

Persson has struggled a tiny bit at times but he has looked so much better than Jones.

I really am not seeing what others are.

Bear >>>>>>>>> Persson >>> Jones while Jones is being sheltered heavily.

Neither Persson or Jones is even close to being a sure fire top 4 defender but Persson has done well in that role. Where Jones isn't even being used that way.

I think the Oilers just like Jones more and are giving him more opportunity based off potential rather than actual play. Great for Jones, potentially really bad for the Oilers.

For the record. I think Jones has top 4 potential. He needs nhl time. I just really really think they are praying for another Bear and that's just too unrealistic.

Jones should be on the bottom pairing until he gets a bit better and then ease him into the top 4 here and there. And to give this team the best chance to win there are much better options.

Reactions: Keggatron

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I have not seen enough of Jones. What little I have has been more bad than good. Some bad giveaways. Poor decision making. Gets walked. Especially his overall positioning.

Jones has made more mistakes in his limited time than Persson in many more games.

Persson has struggled a tiny bit at times but he has looked so much better than Jones.

Neither Persson or Jones is even close to being a sure fire top 4 defender but Persson has done well in that role. Where Jones isn't even being used that way.

I think the Oilers just like Jones more and are giving him more opportunity based off potential rather than actual play. Great for Jones, potentially really bad for the Oilers.

For the record. I think Jones has top 4 potential. He needs nhl time. I just really really think they are praying for another Bear and that's just too unrealistic.

Jones should be on the bottom pairing until he gets a bit better and then ease him into the top 4 here and there. And to give this team the best chance to win there are much better options.
Wow you're issue with Jones is kind of hilarious.

Reactions: Senor Catface

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I also think it is a good idea to get him a stretch of games with Bakersfield. There is definitely a player in there, but he needs a bit of time and patience. I am just happy we can afford to give him that time, some years ago we'd have no choice but to have him play with the big boys due to lack of depth.

If he tops out as a 3rd pair D that would be great, I wouldn't put it past him to get higher though. He's been a player breaking expectations at every stage of his career so far (and not always instantly). I really like the look of our D depth right now, that's also why I hate all the proposals to ship out Ds for forward help.

Agree with this... this is a young man whose performance is pretty clearly tied to his intelligence/hockey IQ. He didn't stand out up here because he's the fastest skater or a heavy hitter (clearly not!)... he's doing it with his play between the ears. Getting some time in the AHL to pick up the North American game at a more reasonable pace is going to be fantastic for his development.

I fully expect to see him back... he's a student of the game.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Honestly they're just giving Jones another sample of the NHL game. Once Larsson is back Jones either ends up on the third pair as per your wish, or back in Bako.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad