Prospect Info: Joel Eriksson Ek (C) - 20th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If you told me by thanksgiving Ek would have 1 fewer goals than Nino, and 2 less than Coyle, I'd have said, yeah!

The one he got he got by doing exactly what coach says Nino and Coyle need to be doing - basically after every game. Get to the front of the net.

As the resident JEE apologist have to say it's pretty funny that the kid making less than 900k gets more criticism than those guys do.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The one he got he got by doing exactly what coach says Nino and Coyle need to be doing - basically after every game. Get to the front of the net.

As the resident JEE apologist have to say it's pretty funny that the kid making less than 900k gets more criticism than those guys do.

In my case, it's not so much criticism as it is worry about being mishandled. Nino and Coyle are what they are; Eriksson (hopefully) isn't.

And also, while 10ish goals and 40ish points is fairly underwhelming for what they (Nino and Coyle) should be, so is 5ish goals and 10ish points for a 2nd year 1st rounder that is getting top 9 time.

P.S.... do you not think that Nino and Coyle have been getting criticized?

Reactions: TaLoN and 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am an Ek fan, too, but it's obvious he is fighting the game at this point. He is, if anything, worse than he was last year, and that is not a good thing.

Not to panic, but if he doesn't start to become a least slightly relevant by Christmas time then the Wild need to try a new approach with him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I didn't think it was really possible to have a sophomore slump after a 6g/10a rookie season. I guess it is, and this is what it looks like. :baghead:

Reactions: TaLoN

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
so would it be a shame to put him down in iowa for a month and bring kunin up and slide coyle to the 3C and let Kunin and Greenway play together? or i suppose kunin with parise and koivu then greenway with coyle and nino makes more sense to split the youth up.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
so would it be a shame to put him down in iowa for a month and bring kunin up and slide coyle to the 3C and let Kunin and Greenway play together? or i suppose kunin with parise and koivu then greenway with coyle and nino makes more sense to split the youth up.
I think the line-demotion last game was meant as the "message" this time around, so hopefully that jostles something loose. The problem is that I don't think it's ever been a matter of communication or "snapping out of it" with Ek. Boudreau's mentioned multiple times how responsive he is to instructions and how hard he works. The problem is execution, and he's been a step slow offensively for over a season now.

I don't know that it'll make a big developmental difference, but a trip to Iowa can't hurt. Even if it's not Kunin that's called up, there are multiple guys that have been playing very well down there and maybe deserve a cup of coffee in Minnesota. Best case scenario: Eriksson-Ek reminds himself how to score and the Wild's third line gets a shot in the arm. Worst case scenario: nothing much changes.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know that Kunin would be the guy they call up. He is by no means the best forward in Iowa at the moment.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think the line-demotion last game was meant as the "message" this time around, so hopefully that jostles something loose. The problem is that I don't think it's ever been a matter of communication or "snapping out of it" with Ek. Boudreau's mentioned multiple times how responsive he is to instructions and how hard he works. The problem is execution, and he's been a step slow offensively for over a season now.

I don't know that it'll make a big developmental difference, but a trip to Iowa can't hurt. Even if it's not Kunin that's called up, there are multiple guys that have been playing very well down there and maybe deserve a cup of coffee in Minnesota. Best case scenario: Eriksson-Ek reminds himself how to score and the Wild's third line gets a shot in the arm. Worst case scenario: nothing much changes.

thats my thinking. the kid isnt a head case or anything bad he just needs a confidence boost. thats why i want him there, a lesser league to just boost himself up. i mean look what a weekend did to greenway.

Reactions: 2Pair

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I don't know that Kunin would be the guy they call up. He is by no means the best forward in Iowa at the moment.

i dont disagree but from what i read they want him up if a top 9 opens up. id be fine with seeing how fitzgerald does or shaw but if they dont wanna rush them kunin can play top 9 while ek refinds himself.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
what can you really expect from Ek? Pitt last year had 5 forwards go over 40 points. Parise, Granny, Staal, Koivu and Zucker here this year. Only so much points to go around. Or we can try and be the highest scoring team in the NHL.

My fear is that in this process, Ek, ends up in the responsible zone. Seems to have happened to Coyle. Worried to try something new, for fear of lost ice time. Safe and steady only gets you so far.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
what can you really expect from Ek? Pitt last year had 5 forwards go over 40 points. Parise, Granny, Staal, Koivu and Zucker here this year. Only so much points to go around. Or we can try and be the highest scoring team in the NHL.

My fear is that in this process, Ek, ends up in the responsible zone. Seems to have happened to Coyle. Worried to try something new, for fear of lost ice time. Safe and steady only gets you so far.
In his second year as a 3C between Greenway and Coyle with no powerplay time? Around 10G/15A should be pretty conservative, even with Coyle struggling and Greenway figuring things out. More optimistically, 15G/20A if his linemates are clicking.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

30 points from a 3C should be an expectation. if thats 5 goals and 25 assists so be it. fear of not producing should be a thing, shouldnt be able to just coast and if you suck be allowed 10-15 mins a game still.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I am an Ek fan, too, but it's obvious he is fighting the game at this point. He is, if anything, worse than he was last year, and that is not a good thing.

Not to panic, but if he doesn't start to become a least slightly relevant by Christmas time then the Wild need to try a new approach with him.
IMO it's already time for a new approach.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
What is worrying is that he has no "nose for the net", whatsoever.

He seems to always be there but as iv said before it just looks like he is never on the same page as his linemates. When he first came into the nhl he did well but something just is not clicking now. he looks fast and gets to the puck but when he does he just seems to overthink it instead of let the creativity flow.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I wish I could just say Iowa and let him work it out there. Those great Detroit teams were full of Swedes. and none of then even sniffed NHL until they were older than Ek is now.

Rushing = bad?

Dunno, but looking at Ek's career so far, he has never had a chance to dominate.

Most goals ever in a season: 9

Most points ever in a season: 16(last season).

Should we expect him to develop at the NHL level?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
One game after playing on the 4th line he's looked a hell of a lot like the player I'd hoped he'd be this year. Some very good defensive plays and much more confident with the puck.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
One game after playing on the 4th line he's looked a hell of a lot like the player I'd hoped he'd be this year. Some very good defensive plays and much more confident with the puck.
Way more physical tonight too. I really like that coyle ek greenway line. It will still take time with a rookie(greenway) and a 2nd year player (ek) but that is a big heavy 3rd line going forward.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stay of execution for Ek. That sequence where it looked like he scored, then fed Greenway for his goal, was quite something.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Way more physical tonight too. I really like that coyle ek greenway line. It will still take time with a rookie(greenway) and a 2nd year player (ek) but that is a big heavy 3rd line going forward.
What I notice about that line, is not so much the strength, but the reach. Ek's stick is all over the place with his, but Greenway has an enormous reach.

Ek is already quite strong, but Greenway will be a beast in a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad