Prospect Info: Joel Eriksson Ek (C) - 20th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I tend to agree with JAM. Time to fire up the bus from Iowa. Try out two from Iowa for the 3c position, send JEE down for a short reset. Can't be a step back from the current situation. Mr Fenton, time for a tweak.

JEE has been more into games after his game on the 4th line. It's a small sample but I'd give him a few more games to see if he can build off that.

Rau, Read, Kunin, or COR would be the FWD callups. Not a lot to choose from that would be an improvement.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Cal, Shaw, or Rau. Two of the three for 3 games each. Let JEE go play with no pressure. It appears he is thinking too much on the ice. He just needs to let it flow. Just my opinion. Kunin not before January.
O'reilly has proven numerous times that he isn't even a quality 4th liner in the NHL. Don't see why you would call him up for the 3rd line?

Rau is a winger and has also pretty much shown what type of a player he is.

Shaw has played a total of 20 games in the last year and a half. He is also a winger.

The guy that you call up also has to replace Ek on the PK. I don't see Rau or Shaw being able to do that. There's little doubt that Ek needs to be in Iowa, but until you find an NHL 3rd liner, that's not going to happen.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
O'reilly has proven numerous times that he isn't even a quality 4th liner in the NHL. Don't see why you would call him up for the 3rd line?

Rau is a winger and has also pretty much shown what type of a player he is.

Shaw has played a total of 20 games in the last year and a half. He is also a winger.

The guy that you call up also has to replace Ek on the PK. I don't see Rau or Shaw being able to do that. There's little doubt that Ek needs to be in Iowa, but until you find an NHL 3rd liner, that's not going to happen.
Looking at the long game. Hopefully after game 6 JEE comes back as a contributing 3c. The others mentioned are place holders during that time, not permanent replacements. I don't think they would hurt the overall team performance. Just provide a rather meh level of contribution.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Looking at the long game. Hopefully after game 6 JEE comes back as a contributing 3c. The others mentioned are place holders during that time, not permanent replacements. I don't think they would hurt the overall team performance. Just provide a rather meh level of contribution.
So, you're just willing to completely overlook the fact that none of the names you mentioned can fill the hole you're opening? You're also willing to weaken the NHL team in hopes it might improve Eriksson Ek's game? That's not how this works.

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra
So, you're just willing to completely overlook the fact that none of the names you mentioned can fill the hole you're opening? You're also willing to weaken the NHL team in hopes it might improve Eriksson Ek's game? That's not how this works.
Fact, the big club needs a contributing third line. Can't rely on the D to carry the point load all season. Fact ppg. Cal .34, JEE .25 nhl career numbers. I don't see the giant chasm this opens. Rau/Shaw for the cup of coffee they've earned. Team and player development is exactly how it works over a long season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It's sometimes how it works.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He’s on the roster because Bruce wants him on the roster. He also wants a 5 lefty power play. I don’t know his specific reasons for each.
Despite the fact that Ek would be better off in Iowa. I feel like someone already said that:huh:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Then explain what you meant.

I don’t think we’d be breaking any new ground if a developing prospect wasn’t in the NHL even though he might be better than the 11th or 12th forward(s) that is/are.

Eriksson Ek realizing his full potential is in the team’s best interest long-term, and if it means a minor downgrade at the present time, then it’s probably still worth it.

I just don’t think going from JEE/Fehr to Fehr/COR (or whoever) is a big deal right now.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Prospects do not develop in a straight line. Even the best athletes in the world make mistakes and have off games. Playing below your established level doesn't usually help you play at a higher level. JEE is playing fine and making plays every game.

There is a 26 year old, former 5th overall pick, making 6 million dollars who also has scored 1 even-strength goal this season. Why the fascination and consternation with JEE?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Prospects do not develop in a straight line. Even the best athletes in the world make mistakes and have off games. Playing below your established level doesn't usually help you play at a higher level. JEE is playing fine and making plays every game.

There is a 26 year old, former 5th overall pick, making 6 million dollars who also has scored 1 even-strength goal this season. Why the fascination and consternation with JEE?
a.) Along with Nino, he's been the squeakiest wheel this season.
b.) His development since the beginning of last season has been a pretty straight line: a horizontal one.
c.) Our center depth right now is Staal (34), Koivu, (35), Ek (21). Coyle is there in a pinch, but in the long run a lot is riding on Ek being middle-6 center for us.

As it stands, the best thing for Eriksson-Ek and the Wild is probably to have him in Minnesota. We don't have a better option in Iowa, and Coyle at center with Ek on the wing doesn't help either. Frankly I think that Greenway-Ek-Coyle line has shown enough to leave it together for awhile; I know Boudreau likes to mix things up, but those three guys in particular could use some consistency.

If there's a trade to be made for a better 3C that's also got room to grow I think it'd be worth considering, because the team does still need 20-something centers. And Ek's biggest need right now seems to be confidence with the puck, so I don't think time in Iowa is going to hurt him any.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
He's looked better but it's still only been 2 (I think?) games. If he can build off of it this whole discussion is probably moot and we're in much better shape all around.

i agree but reading the comments its as if his past few games have meant nothing. as much as we all agree iowa would do wonders for him he wont go there as we dont want to let coyle play 3c for the week or so he goes down. maybe he is doing way more right than what we see and thats why he stays up. besides the score sheet he hasnt been bad. if anything after him sitting i noticed him shooting more from anywhere which is usually a good sign that he understands what is wanted out of him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The assumption here being that his established level is the NHL?

Can we send Nino to the AHL to try and make him a better player? No, we can't.

Reactions: 2Pair

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
i agree but reading the comments its as if his past few games have meant nothing. as much as we all agree iowa would do wonders for him he wont go there as we dont want to let coyle play 3c for the week or so he goes down. maybe he is doing way more right than what we see and thats why he stays up. besides the score sheet he hasnt been bad. if anything after him sitting i noticed him shooting more from anywhere which is usually a good sign that he understands what is wanted out of him.
Lately I agree. He looks more confident with the puck and acts rather than looking, thinking, then acting. But it'll take time. If he keeps this up until Christmas the criticism will dry up just like it has with Foligno.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Lately I agree. He looks more confident with the puck and acts rather than looking, thinking, then acting. But it'll take time. If he keeps this up until Christmas the criticism will dry up just like it has with Foligno.

agreed. i think he is doing good just needs a few pucks to start bouncing his way. confidence will come just play smart fast hockey.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Really, then explain why Ek is still on the NHL roster?

It might be that simple: he was a 1st round pick and sending him down again this season would be a bit embarrassing for those who thought he was a 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->