Prospect Info: Joel Eriksson Ek (C) - 20th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's got pretty much the rest of the season, but I wouldn't object to getting an early start on it after tonight.
3 years or 160 games, whichever comes first. He's at 98 games... so that's most of the season, sure, but not all of it. 62 games away. Hopefully he spends much of that time in Iowa working on his game from here on.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
He hasn't looked good so far but he has only played 8 games. If he finishes out the road trip weak then I could definitely get behind the idea of sending him down. Rau, Anas, Kloos and probably some others are just a few guys who could probably do about as well as his 0 pts -2 stat and 1.75 shots/gm line shows so I don't know. Dude looks like a hockey player out there but never contributes much at all.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He hasn't looked good so far but he has only played 8 games. If he finishes out the road trip weak then I could definitely get behind the idea of sending him down. Rau, Anas, Kloos and probably some others are just a few guys who could probably do about as well as his 0 pts -2 stat and 1.75 shots/gm line shows so I don't know. Dude looks like a hockey player out there but never contributes much at all.
He didn't look like a hockey player at all vs the Sharks. That was easily his worst game as a pro.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What's his upside: 40 point 2 way center?

NHL player? The game doesn't seem to click for him at the NHL level (yet?). He shows some flashes of becoming a middle-6 player, but until he "gets it" he's a future Foligno.

He's young still, so there is time for him to turn things around, but I've soured on him to start the year.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
NHL player? The game doesn't seem to click for him at the NHL level (yet?). He shows some flashes of becoming a middle-6 player, but until he "gets it" he's a future Foligno.

He's young still, so there is time for him to turn things around, but I've soured on him to start the year.

I think you might have to watch him play a little closer if you think hes a fringe NHLer.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think you might have to watch him play a little closer if you think hes a fringe NHLer.

I've watched him play for over a season now. He looks like a less good Foligno/Fehr; which are basically limited offense, 4th line, grinders.

There is plenty of time for him to grow as a player, but until he does he's a 10-12 min a night guy. He's played 100 NHL games now, and it's time for him to take the next step in his development.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I've watched him play for over a season now. He looks like a less good Foligno/Fehr; which are basically limited offense, 4th line, grinders.

There is plenty of time for him to grow as a player, but until he does he's a 10-12 min a night guy. He's played 100 NHL games now, and it's time for him to take the next step in his development.

You said his upside is to be an NHLer. He already accomplished that, his upside is clearly more than that.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He has already played a full season in the NHL, so his upside is not being an NHLer.
Ek is in the NHL because the Wild don't currently have a better option, not because he belongs in the NHL. He is absolutely a fringe player at this time.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Ek is in the NHL because the Wild don't currently have a better option, not because he belongs in the NHL. He is absolutely a fringe player at this time.

Hes our 3C, so we have a 4C behind him on the team, and also 4 centers in Iowa who aren't better than him. In your opinion is he the worst center in the league?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hes our 3C, so we have a 4C behind him on the team, and also 4 centers in Iowa who aren't better than him. In your opinion is he the worst center in the league?
He's playing on the 3rd line, that doesn't make him the 3rd best center on the team. No, he probably isn't the worst center in the NHL, but that's because just about every team has fringe NHL'ers on their rosters.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He was the 4C last year and wasn’t really that good at it... he’s being given another shot this year. He can’t go 50+ games without a goal ever again. That is unacceptable for a guaranteed NHL forward.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
He's playing on the 3rd line, that doesn't make him the 3rd best center on the team. No, he probably isn't the worst center in the NHL, but that's because just about every team has fringe NHL'ers on their rosters.
If every team has fringe NHLers, are they really fringe NHLers? Or is that just how the skill level changes from the top of the lineup to the bottom?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
He was the 4C last year and wasn’t really that good at it... he’s being given another shot this year. He can’t go 50+ games without a goal ever again. That is unacceptable for a guaranteed NHL forward.
Ill take the way he is playing right now over 3c Cullen last year. Who the only reason people liked him was because he was from Minnesota.

Our third line has looked good since the SJ game. All three guys are doing their part.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Ill take the way he is playing right now over 3c Cullen last year. Who the only reason people liked him was because he was from Minnesota.

Our third line has looked good since the SJ game. All three guys are doing their part.
And that’s what I’m saying. He’s getting better lately.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

He's in the NHL because he's been fast tracked after they burned a slide year on his contract. If he wasn't a former 1st round pick he'd be in Iowa right now. Draft pedigree is keeping him in the NHL more than skill. He's going to be given more chances than a Graovac or Mitchell.

The only FWDs he's better than currently on the roster is the 12th FWD and pressbox FWD (Brown/Hendricks). You could swap him with a few of the guys in Iowa without the team really noticing. Was he missed at all in the 6 games he missed this year due to injury?

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Here's hoping the scoring streak continues. Like that line with Coyle and Greenway: 3 big men with decent skating, 2 way mentality, and some skill. If I'm BB, keep them together for an extended spell and see what happens.

I sure wouldn't want to play against that line if they gain some swagger.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If every team has fringe NHLers, are they really fringe NHLers? Or is that just how the skill level changes from the top of the lineup to the bottom?
Matt Read, JT Brown, and Matt Hendricks are what I would also consider "fringe NHL'ers". Guys that can play in the NHL, but nobody would really give a shit if they were waived and/or sent down. Kyle Rau, Cal O'reilly, and Ryan Murphy also fit that description.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
He's in the NHL because he's been fast tracked after they burned a slide year on his contract. If he wasn't a former 1st round pick he'd be in Iowa right now. Draft pedigree is keeping him in the NHL more than skill. He's going to be given more chances than a Graovac or Mitchell.

The only FWDs he's better than currently on the roster is the 12th FWD and pressbox FWD (Brown/Hendricks). You could swap him with a few of the guys in Iowa without the team really noticing. Was he missed at all in the 6 games he missed this year due to injury?

Well we have had two different GMs who have kept him on the NHL team, so I will trust them. Bruce also speaks very highly of him. Many other analysts think hes a good player. Ill take all of their word for it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

I really don't think "fast tracked" or "slide year" have anything to do with it.He's on the roster because he's the best option. If the Wild were to trade for a legit top 9 center today, Ek would be in Iowa tomorrow.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Matt Read, JT Brown, and Matt Hendricks are what I would also consider "fringe NHL'ers". Guys that can play in the NHL, but nobody would really give a **** if they were waived and/or sent down. Kyle Rau, Cal O'reilly, and Ryan Murphy also fit that description.

You didn't answer my question.

But I wouldn't put EEK in the same category as any of those players. Jt Brown is 28 and has played 323 NHL games. Matt Read is 32 and played 442 NHL games, Matt Hendricks is 37 and has played 587 NHL Games. Kyle Rau is 26 and has played 36 NHL Games, Cal Oreilly is 32 and has Played 145 NHL Games, and Ryan Murphy is 25 and has played 172 NHL Games

EEK is 21 and has played 101 games. There are two players on that list with 5 years of age. and also 3 who have close games played. His offense hasn't been great, but did anybody think he was an offensive dynamo when he was drafted?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
I really don't think "fast tracked" or "slide year" have anything to do with it.He's on the roster because he's the best option. If the Wild were to trade for a legit top 9 center today, Ek would be in Iowa tomorrow.

This statement could be very true. But I don't see this kind of trade being out there without giving up more than we want right now.

Reactions: 2Pair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad