Prospect Info: Joel Eriksson Ek (C) - 20th Overall, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You didn't answer my question.

But I wouldn't put EEK in the same category as any of those players. Jt Brown is 28 and has played 323 NHL games. Matt Read is 32 and played 442 NHL games, Matt Hendricks is 37 and has played 587 NHL Games. Kyle Rau is 26 and has played 36 NHL Games, Cal Oreilly is 32 and has Played 145 NHL Games, and Ryan Murphy is 25 and has played 172 NHL Games

EEK is 21 and has played 101 games. There are two players on that list with 5 years of age. and also 3 who have close games played. His offense hasn't been great, but did anybody think he was an offensive dynamo when he was drafted?
What question did I fail to answer?
What does age and games played have to do with talent level?

there's a large gap between "offensive dynamo" and what Ek has provided.

Reactions: Wabit

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I really don't think "fast tracked" or "slide year" have anything to do with it.He's on the roster because he's the best option. If the Wild were to trade for a legit top 9 center today, Ek would be in Iowa tomorrow.

He was fast tracked and gifted the 3C spot last year. Who has he had to beat out for a NHL roster spot?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
What question did I fail to answer?
What does age and games played have to do with talent level?

there's a large gap between "offensive dynamo" and what Ek has provided.

If every team has fringe NHLers, are they really fringe NHLers? Or is that just how the skill level changes from the top of the lineup to the bottom? Maybe we just seem to expect to much from bottom six players, but every team has them, and they serve a purpose. EEK is gonna continue to improve, he wasnt a top 5 pick so far from a sure thing.

Age and games played has a ton to do with it. Where were those players at 21?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He was fast tracked and gifted the 3C spot last year. Who has he had to beat out for a NHL roster spot?
I've already said that the only reason that he's here is because there's nobody else better. That still doesn't mean that he's here because of contract or draft position reasons.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If every team has fringe NHLers, are they really fringe NHLers? Or is that just how the skill level changes from the top of the lineup to the bottom? Maybe we just seem to expect to much from bottom six players, but every team has them, and they serve a purpose. EEK is gonna continue to improve, he wasnt a top 5 pick so far from a sure thing.

Age and games played has a ton to do with it. Where were those players at 21?
Yes, every team has "fringe NHL'ers".
Yes, they're "fringe NHL'ers" because they can go from the NHL to the AHL and back again without anyone giving a flying f***.

None of this discussion has to do with Ek's potential and/or future. I don't think anyone is saying that a "fringe NHL'er" is all that he will/can ever be?

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Yes, every team has "fringe NHL'ers".
Yes, they're "fringe NHL'ers" because they can go from the NHL to the AHL and back again without anyone giving a flying ****.

None of this discussion has to do with Ek's potential and/or future. I don't think anyone is saying that a "fringe NHL'er" is all that he will/can ever be?

My initial comment was because somebody asked what his upside was, and it got answered with someone saying an NHLer.

Reactions: 2Pair

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
My initial comment was because somebody asked what his upside was, and it got answered with someone saying an NHLer.
Yeah, you questioned that upside sure, but then you also claimed in that he's already more than a fringe NHLer, which at the moment, he's not.
I think you might have to watch him play a little closer if you think hes a fringe NHLer.
I think that's what the discussion had become about since.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

NHL player? The game doesn't seem to click for him at the NHL level (yet?). He shows some flashes of becoming a middle-6 player, but until he "gets it" he's a future Foligno.

He's young still, so there is time for him to turn things around, but I've soured on him to start the year.

That was me. I elaborated on it somewhat also.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wonder how GMPF values JEE?
- JEE's had mixed (at best) results his first NHL 100 games.
- GMPF didn't draft him, so there isn't that attachment.
- He loses his waiver exemption at the end of this year.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
My guess is that he gets traded.

I'm doubtful of that, unless it's as a piece in a lager move or a better center. Maybe something like Nino+JEE. He may not be world beating (yet... he's still very young), but he's at least an NHL caliber center that isn't over 34 years old. I don't think we can move one of those without getting one back.

Reactions: Bazeek

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm doubtful of that, unless it's as a piece in a lager move or a better center. Maybe something like Nino+JEE. He may not be world beating (yet... he's still very young), but he's at least an NHL caliber center that isn't over 34 years old. I don't think we can move one of those without getting one back.
What's NHL caliber about his game?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What is NHL caliber about his game is that he's better than the guys in the AHL. Presumably.

Being better (presumably) than a weak talent pool and guys that aren't ready yet in the AHL doesn't really say much.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No point in trading him now that his value's so low. Mind as well try to reclaim him by getting monstrous minutes in Iowa. Ya know, actually attempt to develop a prospect.
I think that this is probably the only way that they ever get any kind of a player out of him. He has pretty much proven that he can't learn on the fly. Send him down and basically make him start over.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
He's like a better Shep, for those of you old enough to remember the glorious career of James Sheppard. At least Ek can skate. The rest of the attributes are similar.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Let's not pretend that near everyone was on board with the idea of him replacing Haula as a 3C, at a minimum.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's like a better Shep, for those of you old enough to remember the glorious career of James Sheppard. At least Ek can skate. The rest of the attributes are similar.
That name has crossed my mind a few times recently. Outside of Ek's PK abilities,very similar players.

Reactions: Monkeypox

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
E Ek does not have chemistry/simply does not click with anyone on the current Wild team...
He thinks the game too slowly.

It's not chemistry, it's him simply being not NHL ready.

I'd have sent him down to Iowa 2 weeks ago.

Tonight, he gets the puck in the corner, stops to look around him, before he can decide what to do, the puck is taken right off his stick because of his indecision. This has happened repeatedly tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad