Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
All the signs were there for him to have a good year. He's always been a beast in the corner, but now he's taking it to the front of the net much more.

I've seen people saying he was a fourth liner or an extra, this is crazy. Or insane. I don't see how you some watched the games last year and didn't think Armia had more in him, every sign was there, very obvious.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
All the signs were there for him to have a good year. He's always been a beast in the corner, but now he's taking it to the front of the net much more.

I've seen people saying he was a fourth liner or an extra, this is crazy. Or insane. I don't see how you some watched the games last year and didn't think Armia had more in him, every sign was there, very obvious.

I can only speak for myself. Always saw the skill. It's just the tunnel vision that seems to hold him back from producing regularly. Hope he can produce regularly enough to be either or both of a 20 goal, 40 point guy. We'll see.

Until he proves otherwise, I see him as a wing version of a Lars Eller type (who by the way has never hit 20 goals or 40 points). He was on pace during the lockout shortened season, and has had two magnificent playoffs, but can't consistently produce offensively.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I can only speak for myself. Always saw the skill. It's just the tunnel vision that seems to hold him back from producing regularly. Hope he can produce regularly enough to be either or both of a 20 goal, 40 point guy. We'll see.

Until he proves otherwise, I see him as a wing version of a Lars Eller type (who by the way has never hit 20 goals or 40 points). He was on pace during the lockout shortened season, and has had two magnificent playoffs, but can't consistently produce offensively.
I don't see him as another Eller. Eller was more speed but weak in knowing where to go on the ice to create offense. Armia doesn't have Eller's speed, but better at controling puck down low and better vision. With the right linemates Armia could be a 50 point scorer.

Great trade getting him for nothing

Reactions: angusyoung

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hypothetical of what? Armia isn't injured right now, so why singling him out? This doesn't make much sense to me.

People have been talking about seeing these young players playing together in the future. There will be injuries throughout the year. This is one hypothetical scenario where we could see it now - not a desired scenario, just a scenario.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Obviously I'm a Finnish homer, but even so I think Armia is a criminally underappreciated player. I guess it has to do with the initial high expectations of soft, magical hands and 1st line talent - well, that didn't work out, and what did this guy do: he settled down to grim hard work raising his level step by painful step. And now you have an all-rounder, pp, pk, has offensive talent, but can defend like hell, never problems with attitude, always battling it out. Yeah, he will never be the star that can singlehandedly turn games and seasons around, but most Stanley Cup winners have a versatile, hardworking player like him complementing the team, capable of performing and substituting in multiple of roles when required.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Obviously I'm a Finnish homer, but even so I think Armia is a criminally underappreciated player. I guess it has to do with the initial high expectations of soft, magical hands and 1st line talent - well, that didn't work out, and what did this guy do: he settled down to grim hard work raising his level step by painful step. And now you have an all-rounder, pp, pk, has offensive talent, but can defend like hell, never problems with attitude, always battling it out. Yeah, he will never be the star that can singlehandedly turn games and seasons around, but most Stanley Cup winners have a versatile, hardworking player like him complementing the team, capable of performing and substituting in multiple of roles when required.
I think we're starting to see that skill come out more and more. I'd see flashes here and there in Winnipeg and last year but it's been consistent this year. Speed will always be an issue but so long as he's winning his battles and he's opportunistic, he'll be an effective player.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
What do people think the chances are he hits the 50pt mark?

I'm feeling 40pts, but if he keeps producing on the PP and continues at this pace 5v5... Could be a big season for him.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Armia is definitely a keeper for us. He's a great leader for the young finns, and pretty much our only forward who can beat opponents with strength and power.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
He has a great hockey IQ and great poise with the puck. The dude literally never panics, he just wins the battle and then makes a smart play with the puck. Im excited to see what he will do this year.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

I’ll take it!

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I don't know why but Armia's offensive game reminds me of Benoit Pouliot. They both had the size, the strength, the hands and the reach. But both seem to be in that 30-40 point range for their career. The big difference from Armia to Pouliot to me is that Armia is a beast defensively and seems to have really high hockey IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad