Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
What an incredible start for Armia. I always felt that he was more than just a grinder. Hands and shot are just too good. Combine that with his puck protection and you have a really effective two way forward.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
What an incredible start for Armia. I always felt that he was more than just a grinder. Hands and shot are just too good. Combine that with his puck protection and you have a really effective two way forward.

I remember one or a few Habs last year and said that Armia had the best shot on the team.

Would be amazing if he gets his offense going. Thought the injury would slow him down. Dude's just awesome. We talk about a lot of certain young players who have really good potential. Might have to add Armia's name to that list if he keeps this up.

Reactions: DangerDave

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Sure looks like he could be a 40-50 point player. I remember him being touted as a very offensive player before the draft.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Armia was drafted to be an offensive player...

He's just finally being used in that role.

He's got underated skills.

Hopefully he becomes found money and not another flash in the pan. Habs could sure use a big body that can produce points.

Reactions: jaffy27 and 26Mats

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Armia had a great start to the season last year, i think he had a hat trick in Ny then he got derailed with a knee injury. Armia is a puck possession beast and uses his big reach to cut alot of passes. He's been probably our best forward all year. He was drafted high in the first round and he was a scoring prospect out of his draft year. He seems to have found his niche and scoring touch now. Armia can easily be a 20-20 40 pts player with the up side of close to 30 goals if he stays healthy and keeps getting top 6 and pp time.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I'm a all around fan of teams, so there's always something to "answer". I do love Canadiens (Koivu made me a fan way back). Armia was such a great grinder in Winnipeg, I was shocked he was traded. Now it really seems that he had a new start. He was a player who's great. Now I'm seeing the non-stiffeled person (3-4 line person just doing his thing). Though he'd been a great on PK, but now he's too making attack look great. He was that before sent to NHL.

I don't really mind. He's great. Not a superstar but a team player that really has most of the qualities to be that. Good at both ends. Love it. And love that he's getting some love. Also suits the Canadians very well. The team is forming greatly. Hope this keeps up. :)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Armia was drafted to be an offensive player...

He's just finally being used in that role.

He's got underated skills.

No one's ever doubted the skills.

The question is, does he have the hockey sense to consistently know what to do as plays develop, or can he only get by with his skills in spurts? So many plays died on his stick last year.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
He had better stats than Kotkaniemi's coming out of La liga, that said Pori was a weak team last year so I can't compare quality of linemates which is a huge factor, especially at that age. Anyway, my point is that he definitely has untapped offensive potential. He was never really given an offensive role with the Jets. Hopefully he can keep this up.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Armia had a great start to the season last year, i think he had a hat trick in Ny then he got derailed with a knee injury. Armia is a puck possession beast and uses his big reach to cut alot of passes. He's been probably our best forward all year. He was drafted high in the first round and he was a scoring prospect out of his draft year. He seems to have found his niche and scoring touch now. Armia can easily be a 20-20 40 pts player with the up side of close to 30 goals if he stays healthy and keeps getting top 6 and pp time.

His stats in Liiga in his draft year were actually insane. It's kind of remarkable that it hasn't fully translated but he's definitely got the tools and he's showing really well so far this season. Hope he keeps ticking.

Reactions: Defangles

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The guy has some skills for sure!! Getting the chance is huge also.............really glad for him.

Imagine if KK, Suzuki and Poehling were all given better chances to succeed, we could be amazed, but CJ has to protect doze guys....

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Great start from Joel, 6 goals, 8 points in 9 games and is getting used quite a lot by CJ. I think it's more of a talented player that had a specific role in Winnipeg but with confidence and added ice-time he's showing he can do more. We will see if he ends up continuing like this but he definitely brings a lot to this team. I discussed this in length last season, we saw a big dip in production (from the team as a whole) when he was injured last year. He impacts the game in a very positive way although he has his warts. Great pickup for the Habs as he should be a useful top 9 forward as Caufield/Poehling and company transition to the NHL.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
His stats in Liiga in his draft year were actually insane. It's kind of remarkable that it hasn't fully translated but he's definitely got the tools and he's showing really well so far this season. Hope he keeps ticking.

He was forced to completely renovate his playing style in Winnipeg, he's always shown flashes of his talent here and there especially on the PK but never on a consistent level. Great to see him making terrific plays every game and put the puck in the net. Such an entertaining player.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great start from Joel, 6 goals, 8 points in 9 games and is getting used quite a lot by CJ. I think it's more of a talented player that had a specific role in Winnipeg but with confidence and added ice-time he's showing he can do more. We will see if he ends up continuing like this but he definitely brings a lot to this team. I discussed this in length last season, we saw a big dip in production (from the team as a whole) when he was injured last year. He impacts the game in a very positive way although he has his warts. Great pickup for the Habs as he should be a useful top 9 forward as Caufield/Poehling and company transition to the NHL.

At the start of the season, I was adamant that I didn't think Armia could be a consistent scorer.

Yes I saw the skills. But I put him in the same category as Lars Eller, production wise. He had a shot with Domi and Drouin last year, and stunk. He stunk on the pp - at the beginning of the year.

So obviously after 10 games I'm not convinced. But I'm hoping he has found his niche and found a way to use his skill set to be consistently productive offensively. 40 points isn't good enough when you play with Drouin and Domi. Hopefully he can produce at a real high pace (say 25 goals and/or 50 points).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->