Player Discussion Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I've literally been the only poster on this board defending Shaw this summer and at the start of the season. But I dont think his success with Drouin and Domi will last until the end of the season. It's a matter of time before Armia or Byron take his place. But I agree, if it's not broken don't fix it, but yeah.. it will happen, I'm pretty sure.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Juulsen will be in the bottom pairing and since we have three working C-RW combinations right now, I think Armia will find himself in the 4th line. It's probably good to let them play a little softer minutes after these injuries anyway.

I tend to agree it goes down like this... at least at first and with no other injuries happening. But I'm not so sure about Armia. They might place him back with Kotkaniemi. For now, I like what I see compared to a few weeks ago

Drouin / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Agostino / Chaput / Armia

Kulak / Weber
Schlemko / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've literally been the only poster on this board defending Shaw this summer and at the start of the season. But I dont think his success with Drouin and Domi will last until the end of the season. It's a matter of time before Armia or Byron take his place. But I agree, if it's not broken don't fix it, but yeah.. it will happen, I'm pretty sure.

You were not the only one. I always thought Shaw was better and defended his value. I always valued his ability to play both wings and at center and anywhere in your middle 6. Heck, he is also an option to play center if one of our centers go down with an injury.

Teams certainly circled around like Vultures last year when we were struggling. I give Bergevin credit for not giving up on Shaw. His versatility has a lot of value and I know a lot of GM's would of loved to acquire him for cheap and have us retain... like so many posters insisted on our boards.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I tend to agree it goes down like this... at least at first and with no other injuries happening. But I'm not so sure about Armia. They might place him back with Kotkaniemi. For now, I like what I see compared to a few weeks ago

Drouin / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Agostino / Chaput / Armia

Kulak / Weber
Schlemko / Petry
Reilly / Juulsen

I don't hate that with Armia-Danault being a PK pair.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Aug 25, 2009
éal
You were not the only one. I always thought Shaw was better and defended his value. I always valued his ability to play both wings and at center and anywhere in your middle 6. Heck, he is also an option to play center if one of our centers go down with an injury.

Teams certainly circled around like Vultures last year when we were struggling. I give Bergevin credit for not giving up on Shaw. His versatility is the asset value.
Yeah I spoke too soon, there was a few very few of us that were defending Shaw.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't hate that with Armia-Danault being a PK pair.

I'd like to see a different approach to be honest... But I don't see this happening anytime soon. Habs would need to struggle for a solid sample size for Julien to shake things up

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Byron / Danault / Shaw or Armia
Agostino / Chaput / Shaw or Armia

Kulak / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Reilly / Benn or Schlemko

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I'd like to see a different approach to be honest... But I don't see this happening anytime soon. Habs would need to struggle for a solid sample size for Julien to shake things up

Drouin / Domi / Gallagher
Tatar / Kotkaniemi / Lehkonen
Byron / Danault / Shaw or Armia
Agostino / Chaput / Shaw or Armia

Yeah the Danault/Kotka switch would be ideal but seems like CJ want to restrict Kotka responsibilities on his first year, we all know it is bound to happen sooner than later though.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Yeah the Danault/Kotka switch would be ideal but seems like CJ want to restrict Kotka responsibilities on his first year, we all know it is bound to happen sooner than later though.
The switch needs to be gradual, like if we are down by a goal or two.

Apr 28, 2010

Why so negative about it? He's having fun and he knows he's contributing. I don't think he'd want to watch the games in the pressbox again this season. He's worked hard to get back in the lineup and now he's being rewarded for it.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Why so negative about it? He's having fun and he knows he's contributing. I don't think he'd want to watch the games in the pressbox again this season. He's worked hard to get back in the lineup and now he's being rewarded for it.
I think Shaw can contribute and have success on the 4th line, and I think he's more fit to play that line than Armia. That's why down the line I see him on the 4th and Armia on the 1st. Could change, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Shaw, especially since he stopped costing us 1 goal by game because of goalie interference.

Apr 28, 2010
I think Shaw can contribute and have success on the 4th line, and I think he's more fit to play that line than Armia. That's why down the line I see him on the 4th and Armia on the 1st. Could change, though. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Shaw, especially since he stopped costing us 1 goal by game because of goalie interference.

Thought you were expecting Shaw to go back to his stupid self again and it's just a matter of time.

But yeah you're right. Hard to see them putting Byron on the 4th line. When everybody's healthy, I also think Shaw could be the one bumped down to 4th line.

As for Armia, I think he'll just be reunited with Kotka and Lehky.

Not sure what happens to Byron. Wish he could play C and take Danault's spot. Not hating on Danault but he's the perfect bottom C. Tatar - Byron - Gallagher would just be beast.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He had a lot of opportunities to impress. First PP wave, frequently played a lot of minutes within the top 6. I'd start him on the 4th line when he comesback. Let him work his way up. He's a decent player, but let's be realistic here he hasn't blown anyone's mind with his play so far.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He had a lot of opportunities to impress. First PP wave, frequently played a lot of minutes within the top 6. I'd start him on the 4th line when he comesback. Let him work his way up. He's a decent player, but let's be realistic here he hasn't blown anyone's mind with his play so far.
In terms of points, no, but he has played an very solid all around game that coaches and players love. This isn't fantasy hockey the guys are playing.

Reactions: Habs Icing

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I see him as an elite 4th liner and PKer.

I really hope we have 9 better players than him offensively in the top 9 going forward. And I really hope Julien doesn't bump Lehkonen or Byron to the 4th line in his favor. Lehkonen at least has the potential to produce and set up his linemates. If Shaw can't keep this up and gets bumped off the 1st line, then sure Armia can take his spot in the top 9. But too many offensive plays pass him by.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The thing is Shaw is a master at draws, not even just taking them, but even on the wing helping out his face off man. I think Domi/Drouin need that, they are playing a two man game offensively, they just need a guy who can retrieve pucks, tip shots, finish around the net, and win face offs.

Reactions: Deebs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Armia is a bigger piece for this team than many realize. I can’t wait for him to get back

He was okay while healthy, I thought, and was playing better with KK near the end as well, but a big piece of this team? I'm not sure about that. Not yet. Too bad he got injured because, if he had kept progressing, maybe I would have thought so.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He was okay while healthy, I thought, and was playing better with KK near the end as well, but a big piece of this team? I'm not sure about that. Not yet. Too bad he got injured because, if he had kept progressing, maybe I would have thought so.

Pretty much the story of his career, so far.

But I like the guy, and I agree, he was getting way better in the games before his injury. A nice complementary, 6'4" puck possession 2-way guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad