newfy

Jul 28, 2010
10 goals, 17 points his last 5 games with a period to go still

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
this is the kind of season I had hoped veleno would have

it was looking pretty meh just 5 games ago lol, like 27 points in 20 games or something like that. Now hes up to 40pts in 24.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Quick Veleno update (as I posted in the Prospect Thread)

1 Goal 4 Assists Today... So in 25 Games so far, 19 Goals 26 Assists 45 Points +28... Crazy numbers lol
Solid numbers, not really crazy if you consider Mantha was over 2 PPG his last season in the Q.

Want to see crazy numbers?
Most Points per Game in One Season by QMJHL Players
Mario > 4 PPG.

Now if he keeps racking up points like he has in the last 5 games, then we're talking crazy numbers.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
But it is exciting to consider that Mantha did it as a 19 year old, while Veleno is still only 18.
It's only a 4 month difference in age. Worth considering, but I wouldn't put a ton of weight in a difference that small.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Mantha also dominated the playoffs carrying his team that was not as good as Veleno's team to the Q championship. He scored a goal a game that year and won CHL MVP. I love what Veleno is doing, I said I wanted him above a 1.5 so this is absolutely great.

But Mantha's final year in junior was insane. His team was maybe the 9th or 10th best team in the league without him.

Hey I hope Joe takes home the CHL Most Outstanding Player this year. He is having a great year. But I think some people are kind of forgetting some of the factors around that with Mantha.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

jraj

Dec 2, 2018
But it is exciting to consider that Mantha did it as a 19 year old, while Veleno is still only 18.
Another way to look at it is that it's Veleno's 4th full season in the QMJHL due to his exceptional status, and Mantha was in his 3rd full season, so Veleno is a more experienced player in the league compared to where Mantha was.

I don't think the 4 month difference in age means too much. Regardless, it's exciting to see Veleno lighting it up!

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I wasn't trying to diminish what Mantha did at all....I followed him very closely that year and was very excited for his potential. The point I was making is that the original post basically said well Mantha put up better numbers his last year so big whoop and I was pointing out that Mantha played that whole season at 19 years of age while Veleno is almost 2 ppg and still hasn't turned 19. It will basically be February before Veleno is as old as Mantha was when Mantha started his final season in the Q. Maybe it doesn't matter but with two more months to develop and improve, he could be putting up insane numbers by the end of the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm just tempering expectations a little, I'm glad he's putting up points. Looking at other players that put up 2PPG seasons in the Q, you see names like Brassard, Drouin, Ribiero, etc. Potential for solid 2C replacing Nielsen hopefully. Putting up huge points in the Q doesn't guarantee anything though, Marty LaPointe scored 2.5PPG.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Who the hell was playing goal in 73-74? I've never seen a league where you had 5 guys who scored 90 goals or more in the same year.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Veleno has always been a responsible two-way center. The DRW brass sent him down with instructions to work on his shot and drive the offense. He has certainly taken that to heart.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm just tempering expectations a little, I'm glad he's putting up points. Looking at other players that put up 2PPG seasons in the Q, you see names like Brassard, Drouin, Ribiero, etc. Potential for solid 2C replacing Nielsen hopefully. Putting up huge points in the Q doesn't guarantee anything though, Marty LaPointe scored 2.5PPG.

If he becomes any of those guys at pick 30 thats still really good. Brassard didnt last long but he had 60 points one season, has a 27 goal season as well. Very legit second line center. No one liked Ribeiro because he was a douche but he had 27 goals and 83 points one season and broke 70 a couple more times as well. Not a fan of Drouin because of his attitude but looks like he'll be at least a 60 point solid second liner for a while.

I think Drouin and Ribeiro had bad attitudes but if Veleno ends up as talented as them with his work ethic/attitude combination, he'll be a very good player for a long time

Reactions: JoesuffP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad