News Article: Joe Veleno

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Controversial opinion time, everyone ready?

I think McIsaac will end up as the best player taken by the Red Wings in the 2018 draft. I'm not so sure about the rest of the guys you listed, but I think McIsaac was drafted remarkably low for his skill level as a defender. He and Cholowski are going to be very good for us, but again I dunno about the other guys haven't seen enough play.

I know nothing about him outside blurbs and stat watching, but his production is certainly exciting.

Cholowski, Hronek, McIssac and one of Lindstrom/Regula could be a very good 2-5 core depending on how they pan out. Still need the elite guy, but potential to be very strong depth wise, similar to Anaheim a few years back

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The Q doesn't draw from quite the same talent pool. I also think the bigger problem for the Q has always been they lose Eastern kids in their area to college hockey and prep hockey at a huge rate. As California and Washington have developed more prospects the W has benefited along with actually finding ways to get kids out of Minnesota long a hurdle. Still doesn't happen all the time, but it happens more these days in my opinion. The OHL has benefited from the jump in quality in Chicago, St. Louis, Columbus, Pittsburgh and Michigan kids turning that route more and more. I think it is the dynamics of where they draw from.One of the funniest parts is the southern expansion has helped the CHL, not that I expect Don Cherry to start touting it, but they have benefited from some of those kids coming north to their junior league as well.

But at times the Q has been undervalued. They still do have plenty of talent. The Wings as a scouting staff has always really been featuring and focusing on areas that are undervalued. So it doesn't surprise me that they have mined the Q often for the last decade, sometimes with success and some other notable misses. But I think that is one thing the Wings have done since Devellano took over, they are always looking at areas where other teams aren't paying as close of attention. Yeah Russia was a boon. But we now heavily scout Czech and Slovak hockey when other teams are saying it is down. It is interesting, but it happens with a frequency that I don't think it is an accident. While yes the scouting world has shrunk with technology and resources being used by all NHL teams, there are still things to be gained by being a little harder invested in certain areas.

I think Veleno is an example of while every scout expected more offense or more this, they have liked the progression in his game. They had an idea of the areas they didn't like in it and how he could work at it. One of the more stunning things and Veleno didn't elaborate a ton in this article, but they basically said he was wasting energy and not skating efficiently. Even though it was one of his strengths they had issues with it and thought it could be a lot better.

Veleno is exciting to me, because he is a high character worker like a lot of the guys we have been betting on but he has a good platform to start with. I find it easier to buy in on this type of prospect, I see why the Wings like them. Talking about character and the off the ice stuff annoys people at times, but it is paying off with Cholo, Ras and of course Larkin. Most of his concerning areas are areas that traditionally get better as you go along and I think we can count on Veleno putting in the work. He has been good when I have caught the rare game with him in it this year.

I don't know how a major junior league can be getting overlooked, but it does kind of feel like that. I feel like Pelletier is getting no love for this '19 class, and that kid is damn good.

Lafreniere will probably put them back on the map next year.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Why would McIssac being a #4 disappoint as a 2nd rounder?

It was in response to the post about McIssac being the best of our 2018 draft class.

If all he becomes is a #4 Dman and that' still makes him the best of that class, then that means Zadina and Valeno blew and that's bad for us.

You hope to get more than a #4 dman out of a draft espescially when you pick as high and as often as we did

It was tongue and cheek

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Veleno was a motor during pre-season. I would argue he was the top 3 player including Cholo, if not the best. Berggren was also impressive. Zadina left more to be desired but he's just a sniper so I might be too hard on him.

Veleno has a weak shot, but he sure does make neat things happen and work ethics that will no doubt "wow!" even Larkin...

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Veleno was a motor during pre-season. I would argue he was the top 3 player including Cholo, if not the best. Berggren was also impressive. Zadina left more to be desired but he's just a sniper so I might be too hard on him.

Veleno has a weak shot, but he sure does make neat things happen and work ethics that will no doubt "wow!" even Larkin...
I was kinda thinking that during preseason that he kind of reminds me a bit of Larkin with his hustle! They are somewhat built the same too hah

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
I know nothing about him outside blurbs and stat watching, but his production is certainly exciting.

Cholowski, Hronek, McIssac and one of Lindstrom/Regula could be a very good 2-5 core depending on how they pan out. Still need the elite guy, but potential to be very strong depth wise, similar to Anaheim a few years back

I really believe Cholo and McI are a step above the rest, and I say that with no intention of disparaging the rest. McCholo is our future.

It was in response to the post about McIssac being the best of our 2018 draft class.

If all he becomes is a #4 Dman and that' still makes him the best of that class, then that means Zadina and Valeno blew and that's bad for us.

You hope to get more than a #4 dman out of a draft espescially when you pick as high and as often as we did

It was tongue and cheek

Sincerely confused by this. I'm the one who made the statement. Never said McI maxes out at #4. I think he will challenge Cholo for the #1 spot.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
[QUOTE="ChrisReevesLegs, post: 152495293, member: 309557"

Sincerely confused by this. I'm the one who made the statement. Never said McI maxes out at #4. I think he will challenge Cholo for the #1 spot.[/QUOTE]

Oh boy I think this is why message boards start so much confusions

first off.. you didn't say that at all, I did

I responded to your post that in your opinion Mac will be our best 2018 drafted prospect and whenI did repond I said that would be fantastic as it would mean he became a top pairing guy(so great for us). I then said, hopefully he dosent however max out as a #4 yet remain or top 2018 drafted prospect as that would mean our other 2018 prospects did not pan out(so bad for us)

that's all

so in conclusion;

if Mc becomes our top 2018 prospect that means he becomes a top pairing guy =good
if Mc becomes our top 2018 prospect but also nothing more then a #4 dman=bad(valeno and zadina bombed in this scenario)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Darren Helm with hands is a good player which is what I tried saying on draft night...

But yeah I wish they had searched for a better name for sure on the telecast.

A fast player with hands is also just someone else.

Kessler, Legwand, etc. - there was more appropriate and more palatable names to use.

Kudos on not taking the bait, but that was a crap take... especially for the franchise’s highest pick in forever. Way to pump up the fan base by throwing out your current 3rd line center.

Ok rant over.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I probably will be unhappy having posted this, but Veleno is more Barzal than Larkin for me.

I know big ask, I don't think he becomes either guy at least I don't expect him to. However, reality is we are going to need guys to outkick their development coverage. I think both McIsaac and Veleno offer a ton of upside in terms of maybe being those kind of guys. We are going to need to get some luck in this rebuild, perhaps Veleno is one of our first really lucky moments.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I probably will be unhappy having posted this, but Veleno is more Barzal than Larkin for me.

I know big ask, I don't think he becomes either guy at least I don't expect him to. However, reality is we are going to need guys to outkick their development coverage. I think both McIsaac and Veleno offer a ton of upside in terms of maybe being those kind of guys. We are going to need to get some luck in this rebuild, perhaps Veleno is one of our first really lucky moments.

I can see it.

Larkin is more aggressive and plays more north-south, while Veleno is a bit shiftier and plays more east-west.

Also think Veleno is possibly a better pure passer than Larkin was at 19.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can see it.

Larkin is more aggressive and plays more north-south, while Veleno is a bit shiftier and plays more east-west.

Exactly.

I also think he is a higher caliber passer and flashes more pure vision than Larkin. Not a put down on Larkin but like you're saying he is a more industrious center for me. I think they share some similarities it is just where I breakdown the little differences I see more of a high-end ceiling playmaker out of Veleno in terms of pure passing ability where he uses his speed to hold the puck and manipulate the zone and space. He plays similar to Barzal right down to people wanting more out of him in junior and him sliding in the draft from what I think is over scouting. Lost in that is every time the talent level increases their games jump because the caliber of linemate is important to their strengths and as you progress they get more to work with in my opinion.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I can see it.

Also think Veleno is possibly a better pure passer than Larkin was at 19.
I noticed the East-West play by Veleno as well, which will complement our team, as Nyquist, Nielsen, Green & Vanek are the East-Westers of our group. Next season we may only have Nielsen & Green until TDL. I've been wanting them to play more East-West for a few years now, looks like we finally have the skill/IQ to do it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I noticed the East-West play by Veleno as well, which will complement our team, as Nyquist, Nielsen, Green & Vanek are the East-Westers of our group. Next season we may only have Nielsen & Green until TDL. I've been wanting them to play more East-West for a few years now, looks like we finally have the skill/IQ to do it.

Veleno will give you zone entries and east-west play.

He also plays much greasier than someone like Nyquist.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That pretty much 90% of this board agreed with and were upset about.

You mean people trusted what our Director of Amateur Scouting said?

No way.

Look people are allowed to misspeak, and maybe that comment shouldn’t have been taken so closely to heart. But to me that’s about the equivalent of someone trying to sell me a BMW, and they tell me “it’s a Chevy Cruze with more speed”.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad