News Article: Joe Veleno

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
12 points and a +10 in his last 3 games. :laugh:

Still very possible Veleno becomes a Larkin/ROR/Bergeron type.

I find it cool that Larkin is pretty much his best NHL comparable

When I put Veleno in a group with Larkin/ROR/Bergeron, I'm talking about their impact as a player, not so much their style.

Personally I see a lot of Giroux in Veleno but I hesitate to make comparisons to players who are better than said prospect's ceiling.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
when I think "Helm with hands" I think Larkin's sophomore season

I was worried there for a while because a mildly to moderately better version of that is what "Helm with hands" actually looks like

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
When I put Veleno in a group with Larkin/ROR/Bergeron, I'm talking about their impact as a player, not so much their style.

Personally I see a lot of Giroux in Veleno but I hesitate to make comparisons to players who are better than said prospect's ceiling.
I'd be elated if we got a 55pt.+ defensively responsible 2-way 2C in Veleno, I think he may be that guy. I thought I read he's he prevented from making the Wings in '19-'20?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'd be elated if we got a 55pt.+ defensively responsible 2-way 2C in Veleno, I think he may be that guy. I thought I read he's he prevented from making the Wings in '19-'20?

I think you might be thinking about the rumor that he’s prevented from playing in the AHL in ‘19-‘20, which didn’t take into account his exceptional status. He’s good to go to either the AHL or NHL next year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You mean people trusted what our Director of Amateur Scouting said?

No way.

Look people are allowed to misspeak, and maybe that comment shouldn’t have been taken so closely to heart. But to me that’s about the equivalent of someone trying to sell me a BMW, and they tell me “it’s a Chevy Cruze with more speed”.

I think "Helm with hands" is actually more than a "good" player. Helm has absolute rocks for hands and no finishing skill. Look at how many breakaways he would get. Give him the skill to pot goals on even half of them, and he's at minimum pushing 30 goals.

Darren Helm was always one of the guys who played great hockey and did all the things a grinder should. He would have himself in the right position so many times and then fritter it away because he had no finish. I mean, until he started getting hurt every other season, Helm legit was one of the best 3Cs in hockey. And he was that because he just couldn't score goals on the myriad chances he would get.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the "Helm with hands" thing makes sense when you consider that Larkin was supposed to have a lot less upside than he's ultimately shown. You were getting a very fast, high compete level 2/3 center who might not be able to anchor a line offensively, but could still contribute.

But anyway, Veleno only superficially resembles Larkin. Good skaters with character who can play defense, but Veleno has a lot more patience and offensive flair to his game. Everything Larkin does comes from his effort level and skating ability, IMO. That's the core of his game, and if you put him in situations where he can't use those strengths, he's not so effective (like on the PP). Veleno can make plays standing still, and is a bit more creative offensively, but can't play with the level of pace and effort Larkin can. But almost nobody can, so that's not really surprising.

In the preseason, Veleno reminded me of Filppula more than anyone.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lets go Joe V. im sure he has a decent chip on his shoulder being drafted late.

hoping he can be a 1b/2a center a la larkin, kadri etc (larkin could be legit 1c in future )

I would be sort of surprised if his agent didn't know. This was a rumor floating around our own HF prospect board among some posters leading up to the draft. I heard he wouldn't be picked until the second round from a few different people I respect. Veleno's slide wasn't that surprising to me.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think the "Helm with hands" thing makes sense when you consider that Larkin was supposed to have a lot less upside than he's ultimately shown. You were getting a very fast, high compete level 2/3 center who might not be able to anchor a line offensively, but could still contribute.

But that's exactly the point: If that's what you think you got with your franchise's top pick in a quarter century, then dodge the question and keep your mouth shut. Let your fans come to their own conclusions rather than outright telling them you just blessed them with the second coming of Brandon Sutter.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Another goal and two assists tonight. He's now in the top 5 in scoring and #4 in PPG. Two of the other three are older.

The other is some dude named Lafreniere. :sarcasm:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Another goal and two assists tonight. He's now in the top 5 in scoring and #4 in PPG. Two of the other three are older.

The other is some dude named Lafreniere. :sarcasm:
They didn't play last night. That was on Sunday.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
With Comtois sent back to the Q, it seems safe to say he will be on Veleno's wing. Does this hurt, help, or not really change the importance of Veleno's numbers this season in the Q. I would bet they will now be inflated slightly having a legitimate NHL player on his wing playing against children.
Veleno was already on a tear, just curious what ya'll think.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
With Comtois sent back to the Q, it seems safe to say he will be on Veleno's wing. Does this hurt, help, or not really change the importance of Veleno's numbers this season in the Q. I would bet they will now be inflated slightly having a legitimate NHL player on his wing playing against children.
Veleno was already on a tear, just curious what ya'll think.

I think it will be a good thing either way.

I'm hoping that Veleno elevates Comtois, not the other way around.

I'm hoping Veleno develops that mindset/ability to be a leader and game changer( I think those two things go hand in hand)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad