News Article: Joe Veleno

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Usually the scratches are a lock to make the team / injuries, right? Veleno is still fighting for a spot and I wouldn't want it any other way - he has to earn it.

Hmm, I didn’t think of that. Pretty confident that Glass will make it, so I don’t know.

Canada’s coach talked about speed and pace ad nauseum for this team, so it would be weird for them to not pick Veleno.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It’s sounding like Lafrenière is the bubble player and has already been notified that he will be staying home if both Vilardi and JAD are healthy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would think Veleno's PK ability would pretty much lock him in for this squad. He is a versatile player, it makes him extremely attractive for these short tournaments. If someone goes down it is easy to see elevating his minutes. I know a lot of these guys can do a lot of things but Veleno leads the Q in shorties if I remember right, he is a dangerous guy that can excel in all three phases and three zones. It would be strange to leave him at home, but Hockey Canada has done some fairly odd things at times in my opinion.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would think Veleno's PK ability would pretty much lock him in for this squad. He is a versatile player, it makes him extremely attractive for these short tournaments. If someone goes down it is easy to see elevating his minutes. I know a lot of these guys can do a lot of things but Veleno leads the Q in shorties if I remember right, he is a dangerous guy that can excel in all three phases and three zones. It would be strange to leave him at home, but Hockey Canada has done some fairly odd things at times in my opinion.
You remember correctly, he has 5 shorties and leads the league.
QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
If Berggren was healthy and Rasmussen was loaned, I think there could have been 6 prospects playing.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should have drafted Vilardi! :sarcasm:

Feel pretty bad for the young man. I never loved his skating and core issues this young are really troubling. But I hope he can get his health ironed out and get his career back on track. He has produced well when he has been in the lineup so that is still good for the Kings. Of course they say they now want to get younger and faster so inserting one of the worst skating prospects hurts. But I do think he is a good NHL winger if he can get his health ironed out. He has lost a ton of development time at this point. Reminds me of a younger Vanek at times when I watch him when he has been healthy.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
No one should be surprised. Vilardi has played what? Four games in the last year? There's no way he's ready to compete at a high level like the World Juniors, even if it is players his own age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad