Joe Sakic - Redeemed as an NHL GM?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sakic’s a good GM, fans just need to have patience.

There's patience and then there's Joe :laugh:

Legends say that Joe attempted to train with buddhist monks in the isolated Himalayas when he finally chose to stop dominating the NHL...but he was too patient for them to train. Forcing Joe to re-join the Avs in an FO position where he could start learning the ropes...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Apparently not Avs fans who wanted Sakic fired

Avs fans wanted him fired because the potential Duchene-return was looking sketchy and he had yet to make many of the changes that lead to last season's break through...

I wonder if any things have happened since then?

Last edited:

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
I think we still need a true #1 guy on D. Girard and Makar have the potential to fill that roll but are still much more likely to be #2 - #4 guys on what is hopefully a legitimate cup contending team.

Timmins has gone from very likely having an NHL career to a bit of a wild card unfortunately. Really hope he can get through his concussion symptoms and get back on track. He also has/had top 4 potential but I was always a bit skeptical of him.

Overall, I haven't been this comfortable and optimistic about our D in over a decade. It feels great. We had some truly terrible defensive groups in that time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
How can people not credit sakic for the duchene trade. 3 way trades where the Avs were in the centre literally cannot happen without sakic facilitating it.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Only correction. Kerfoot was signed as an FA, not officially traded for. Though we signed him from NJ's system and they signed Butcher from ours, so we did end up swapping prospects, even if no trade officially happened.

Oh yeah my bad, i actually remembered those guys were traded 1 for 1. But yeah i guess in a way it was pretty much a trade.

Reactions: cgf

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Sakic has bungled his way through the whole thing and has been saved by the grace of MacKinnon and Dorion being under orders to acquire Duchene as a stopgag to paying Turris.

This isn't a job well done it's literally the luckiest thing to happen to a GM possibly ever

That's why we all love Chiarelli.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Avs fans wanted him fired because the Duchene-return was looking sketchy and he had yet to make many of the changes that lead to last season's break through...

I wonder if any things have happened since then?

Well we're maybe a week since the last incident in Ottawa?

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
Sakic has bungled his way through the whole thing and has been saved by the grace of MacKinnon and Dorion being under orders to acquire Duchene as a stopgag to paying Turris.

This isn't a job well done it's literally the luckiest thing to happen to a GM possibly ever
HOW DARE YOU SIR

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
This was every Avs fan going into last season while the boards laughed and assumed the Avs would be a bottom team again. Granted, we never predicted the playoffs, but they were a completely different team than the joke they iced in 2016 and we all knew they would be drastically improved.

And Duchene was on his period for a good 1.5 years. He was a cancer.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

There were many who wanted Sakic out a year ago and now suddenly he's great? I'm pretty sure a user called Joe Sakic fan was the lone supporter at a point. So basically everyone over reacted then?

I'll just file those "He's gonna screw up the Duchene trade" posts into the "never happened box" along with the fact that he had to wait for Ottawa to demonstrate peak incompetence to salvage it along with Mack lugging the team on his shoulders.

We need more people like this. Keep us unappreciated please.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Not all Avs fans wanted Sakic fired either. Sone of us shared the same patience he did on letting things play out before jumping to wild conclusions.

This. I kept saying to be a bit patient with him. He was a brand new GM who was pretty much learning on the job plus having Roy in his ear trying to shortcut his way to victory made things worse. Once Sakic cut Roy out of the front office stuff things started looking up. The team had to endure a historically bad year during the process but it's all beginning to pay off.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not all of us wanted him fired. But even those of us who weren't in the fire him now camp, where frustrated that he had passed on the Duchene for Zibanejad + Chabot offer a year earlier...and had instead let that drama fester through the worst season in modern history.

And no, I'm not just salty that we didn't make that trade and sign Radu...

Reactions: Murzu

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
MacGinnon has started to regress after a hot start and some luck on the PP.

Still waiting to see if the Aves own pick is better than Ottawa.

Reactions: Murzu

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I dunno, I think really his success of late is more due to MacKinnon raising his game by 2, 3 levels. That's who should get credit.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I dunno, I think really his success of late is more due to MacKinnon raising his game by 2, 3 levels. That's who should get credit.
Dude absolutely fleeced the Sens and has drafted extremely well... I think that's where his success is of late. Mackinnon needs a team around him, Sakic is building a young group to compliment him. Oilers could take some lessons for McD.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dude absolutely fleeced the Sens and has drafted extremely well... I think that's where his success is of late. Mackinnon needs a team around him, Sakic is building a young group to compliment him. Oilers could take some lessons for McD.
Meh, the only real thing that hurts to give up is the possible top 10 pick ...At the time the deal was made nobody could foresee the downturn getting as bad as it did...All the other assets we moved were fine ,and have been replaced in one form or another

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Apparently not Avs fans who wanted Sakic fired
avs fans were emotional because we all thought we'd be over rebuilding while sakic basically rebuilt the team again after taking over. he also wasnt given much to work with. i believe the avs were icing a defensive pairing of ryan obyrne and shane obrien before he took over and trying to get some guy called oliver to play on a scoring line.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Mackinnon plays a large factor, but a lot of roster decisions from Sakic have gotten the Avs where they are as well.

- Sakic was the one who convinced Kerfoot to sign with Colorado as a UFA out of College. Essentially adding a free Top 9 forward under 25 to the team.

- Sakic was the one who brought in Jonathan Bernier last summer to be a reliable #2 behind Varly. And Bernier was the one who went on a 10 game winning streak for the Avs in January of last year, which can be pointed as the stretch of the seasons that pushed the Avs into a playoff fight and ultimately playoff hockey.

- Sakic was the one who stayed patient in the Duchene saga until he got a player and package he deemed valuable enough to move Duchene. A trade that has not only paid immediate dividends(Girard is a top pairing Dman at just 20 years of age), but has the chance to pay off a ridiculous amount more going forward as we wait to see what unfolds from Ottawa's own 2019 1st round pick, Bowers, Kamenev, and all the other prospects that trade turned into for us.

- Sakic was the one who hired Jared Bednar, and then stuck with him even after the debacle season we had before and stayed patient, trusting his coach to rebound like he has.

Reactions: The Merchant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad