Joe Sakic - Redeemed as an NHL GM?

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He was never bad. As others have pointed out, most of the poor decisions made early on were Roy moves/wants, and Sakic eventually putting his foot down is what led to Patty's departure. People also thought we lost the ROR trade, and the hires/scouting Sakic has put together has given the Avs the best U23 depth they have had in their history. Just because YOU thought he was a bad GM doesn't make it so.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Funny how easy fans can forget a good/bad GM.
Sakic was subpar. Bottom 10 GM.
Sakic makes a killer trade. Top 10 GM.
McKinnon 3-4 Million below his market value now for five more years is pretty good.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm not sure how much credit to give him on the Duchene trade. It looks genius now, and it was always a gamble for Ottawa, but that pick hasn't been decided yet so lets hold our horses on it for now. Keep in mind, Chiarelli managed to get Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel and PC is seen as a bad GM by most. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I'm not sure how much credit to give him on the Duchene trade. It looks genius now, and it was always a gamble for Ottawa, but that pick hasn't been decided yet so lets hold our horses on it for now. Keep in mind, Chiarelli managed to get Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel and PC is seen as a bad GM by most. Sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Hold our horses? That trade is a huge win without that pick. The main critique of Sakic's was that he held on Duchene for too long, which obviously isn't the case.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hold our horses? That trade is a huge win without that pick. The main critique of Sakic's was that he held on Duchene for too long, which obviously isn't the case.
Hold our horses on the pick. I thought it was obvious what I was saying. I.e nobody knows where that pick is yet. It's a clear win for the Avs before we even know where the pick is, I'm not arguing that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hold our horses on the pick. I thought it was obvious what I was saying. I.e nobody knows where that pick is yet. It's a clear win for the Avs before we even know where the pick is, I'm not arguing that.
while true, he got an unprotected 1st. yea he didn't know which exact pick it would be at the time but the fact that he got it without protection was notable

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Sakic doesn't get enough credit for basically engineering a rebuild in one summer, just not the traditional way teams rebuild. Instead of selling off good players (except for Duchene), he put his confidence behind the core that just lived through a historically bad season and surrounded them with better talent.

The turnover between 16-17 and 17-18 was unreal. So even setting aside the Duchene trade, Sakic did an incredible job of putting his faith in the right players on the team, systematically removing all the problems in the locker room and out of it, and surrounding the good players he had with actual young talent.

He could've blown it up the way Buffalo keeps doing and sold off everything not nailed down to the floor after that season, and you know a lot of vulture GMs were circling expecting him to do that. But he held off, removed the trash, removed the player that was a huge problem for the rest of the players, and it paid off.

MacKinnon's season was amazing, but I don't think he'd have had it if Sakic hadn't taken the steps he did to put that roster together. Imagine if Landeskog and Barrie and whoever else had gotten traded for picks? MacKinnon doesn't break out with that support, and neither does Rantanen.

Reactions: 5280

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's definitely redeemed himself. I thought he was a total fool for waiting as long as he did on the Duchene trade but holy shit that return was good even if Ottawa was a good team...now that they are likely going to give up a top 10 pick? It's robbery.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
yea he has.

1. the trade with Duchene was incredible
2. the potential to get hughes or a top 5 player is big time stuff
3. girard is going to be a stud very soon
4. they have shown some chemistry

i didnt like the grubauer trade, i dont think he's a starter.. but we will see.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Funny how easy fans can forget a good/bad GM.
Sakic was subpar. Bottom 10 GM.
Sakic makes a killer trade. Top 10 GM.
He was more considered a bad GM because he wouldn't trade Duchene :laugh: Also the ROR trade doesn't look that bad like some think. Zadorov is a good top 4 dmen that could still develop into a top pairing. Compher is still a good bottom 6 player with good defensive upside also plays on PK. I think it has to do with how he managed to offer contracts to old vets like Beauchemin, Iginla, Stuart. I don't think he could've done more with ROR beside offering him money but I'm fine with we've got so far for ROR.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think people are forgetting how much red was in Sakic's ledger. He's had a good year. But he had a pretty awful 3-4 years before that.

If his name wasn't Joe Sakic, he'd have never made it through the 48 point season, and it would have been completely justified. And while it has a hell of a first line, it's relying on hope and a prayer for their depth this year. A single 8th seed finish after all the bad doesn't quite clear the ledger in my books.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The Avs need to make the playoffs for him to be a good GM. It's easier to get valuable pieces in trades when you're forced to trade disgruntled talent because your team sucks.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think people are forgetting how much red was in Sakic's ledger. He's had a good year. But he had a pretty awful 3-4 years before that.

If his name wasn't Joe Sakic, he'd have never made it through the 48 point season, and it would have been completely justified. And while it has a hell of a first line, it's relying on hope and a prayer for their depth this year. A single 8th seed finish after all the bad doesn't quite clear the ledger in my books.

I don't think he is getting enough credit, personally. He was also taking over an organization which had been a total shit show top to bottom for years since the first lockout. He has steadily improved the organization as a whole during his whole tenure. This is the best our prospect pool has looked in 20 years. Our drafting has improved, we have a solid (to really good imo) coach. IMO for every bad decision he has made he has made two good ones. There has been a whole culture change in the Avalanche organization and it doesn't start with anyone else.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad