Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
No, why would we want to re-evaluate our comments just because the entire Western Conference sucked ass this year?

A 3-20 skid, one that especially highlighted the team's most glaring hole (the lack of a true 2nd line), is flat-out unacceptable regardless of if we make the playoffs. None of Kerfoot, Jost, or Compher showed they were capable of being a 2C before this season began, and that was something a multitude of posters noticed (and we're not paid pro scouts in the NHL). Joe made a horrendous gamble and if it weren't for the 1st line being so hot, the Avs wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs right now.

Kerfoot will end up over 40 points. Soderberg the same. Why aren't they capable of being a 2C?

Hey, I agree we could be stronger there. I really do. But I also think a lot of people are selling the whole org. short in what they've achieved this season.

Varly and Grub were out of form (unfortunately), but they are both back, and both elite in terms of longer term results.

And our entire form has turned around on that basis.

The top line is strong mate, I agree, but it's also now been split up, and we are being extremely successful right now, so I have to disagree with respect that we are a one horse town (so to speak).

I have no idea why players like Kerfoot gets the bad eggs here. Concurrent 40+ point seasons, and not even being in the league 2 full seasons yet. Guy has amazing wheels.

I hope we'll add a marquee player through FA this off season. I hope we add Hughes tbh. There's your second line mate. Laura coming too. Bowers and Kamanev slot into the bottom 6.

I think this ship is being built absolutely beautifully. I also think we'll be a playoff mainstay for years to come with these amazing rooming coming through.

We are about to head into a golden period for the club again.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Kerfoot will end up over 40 points. Soderberg the same. Why aren't they capable of being a 2C?

Hey, I agree we could be stronger there. I really do. But I also think a lot of people are selling the whole org. short in what they've achieved this season.

Varly and Grub were out of form (unfortunately), but they are both back, and both elite in terms of longer term results.

And our entire form has turned around on that basis.

The top line is strong mate, I agree, but it's also now been split up, and we are being extremely successful right now, so I have to disagree with respect that we are a one horse town (so to speak).

I have no idea why players like Kerfoot gets the bad eggs here. Concurrent 40+ point seasons, and not even being in the league 2 full seasons yet. Guy has amazing wheels.

I hope we'll add a marquee player through FA this off season. I hope we add Hughes tbh. There's your second line mate. Laura coming too. Bowers and Kamanev slot into the bottom 6.

I think this ship is being built absolutely beautifully. I also think we'll be a playoff mainstay for years to come with these amazing rooming coming through.

We are about to head into a golden period for the club again.

Kerfoot gets too easily knocked off of the puck. Not gritty enough on bottom 6 either. He's talented offensively but not enough to really drive that second line. That said, I liked Jost's assist. He fought through the check and made the assist to Ghetto. It was good to see him be stronger with the puck. I'd like to see him workout with MacKinnon and Crosby's trainer in the offseason. I also like his active stick. He's good at stripping the puck.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I like non-sequiturs to.

*Too

2379738_0.jpg

:teach2:

AdrianTheMagician

Dec 9, 2016
Exactly sea eagles....people have been complaining about him but what they dont realize is he is elite, and always has been, he just took the slow organic route to growing this franchise and now we are going to be SPECIAL again, just like those teams from '95 on. Once we get J. Hughes or kakko w/makar and these prospects develop. No one will be able to touch us for years........WELCOME TO OUR 2nd coming of avalanche dynasty!!!!

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Exactly sea eagles....people have been complaining about him but what they dont realize is he is elite, and always has been, he just took the slow organic route to growing this franchise and now we are going to be SPECIAL again, just like those teams from '95 on. Once we get J. Hughes or kakko w/makar and these prospects develop. No one will be able to touch us for years........WELCOME TO OUR 2nd coming of avalanche dynasty!!!!

That gave me tingles reading that ! Well said my friend. The way he's building it as well, feels to me it will be sustainable success, not fleeting as we've seen in the past at times.
So good to be an Avs fan right now.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It didn't look good for a while during mid-season but it certainly look now that Sakic's plan for the goaltending position is coming to fruition. Gru has taken a strong hold to the #1 spot and Frankie proved he can play in NA and should be extended as the Avs' backup for next season.

We all know Cole is overpaid by a bit but he is proving his worth during the final stretch. IMO he will be very important guy in the locker room and on the ice during playoffs. His playoffs experience will come in very handy to settle down the kids and show them what it takes to win in the playoffs. Calvert is another one that is a bit overpaid but he turned out to be a great addition. I'm glad we have instead of Comeau.

It certainly looks like the winning culture/mentality is back in Denver. The guys already said they are not just happy to make it to the playoffs this year. They are hungry for much more.

This team was a top-5 team for the first 2 months. Then the worst team in the league for the middle two months. And then a top-8 team for the last two months (top team for the last 11 games). IMO this team is much more than a bubble team. The mid-season was so bad due to goaltending and that goaltending was an outlier obviously. I don't expect the goalies to keep it going at that level but these goalies are above average at the very least. IMO this team is much closer to top-10 than a bubble team. With good goaltending this team could make some damage in the playoffs.

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs...well done Sakic, Bednar, the FO and the players.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think potentially three guys might have reversed their fate with the Avalanche organization with them making the playoffs.

Bednar is the obvious one. He finally found the pulse of the bottom 9 players on this team with Landy and Mikko out, and got them to buy in, the way he got his AHL teams to buy in. His coaching style almost seems better with teams like this. He also must have really challenged Barrie when Landy went down, because he was lights out, and a big time leader for the team.

Barring an embarrassing sweep in the first round, where they only score two goals or something all series, I think Bednar probably comes back now.

Barrie is another guy I think there was a pretty good chance they'd move on from given the potential asking price, but I think there's a chance they might have changed their minds with the way he's played down the stretch here. A lot like 2013-14 Barrie with all the clutch, timely goals. He and Grubuaer are the biggest reasons they made the playoffs. Tough to sell that trade to fans, especially if he plays well in the playoffs.

Grubauer is the third guy that might have reversed his fate. Not sure if he would have been let go or not, but I'm pretty sure there was no way they were gonna go with a Grubauer-Francouz pairing a month ago. Grubauer had just played too poorly, and Francouz was almost entirely unproven in the NHL with no starts.

I think early on, the best bet was Varly on a short term deal and another year of Varly-Grubuaer as a stop gap. Then Varly burned out after that long stretch of games and fell apart. At that point, they had pretty much no good realistic options.

Now with the way Grubauer has stepped up though, even if he doesn't maintain this level of play next year, they can feel more comfortable with Grubauer and an NHL unproven Francouz. I think there's a good chance they add Cal Peterson, or someone similar to replace Frank in the AHL next year too.

Hopefully one of those three can become the Avs goalie of the future.

Reactions: MarkT

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I think potentially three guys might have reversed their fate with the Avalanche organization with them making the playoffs.

Bednar is the obvious one. He finally found the pulse of the bottom 9 players on this team with Landy and Mikko out, and got them to buy in, the way he got his AHL teams to buy in. His coaching style almost seems better with teams like this. He also must have really challenged Barrie when Landy went down, because he was lights out, and a big time leader for the team.

Barring an embarrassing sweep in the first round, where they only score two goals or something all series, I think Bednar probably comes back now.

Barrie is another guy I think there was a pretty good chance they'd move on from given the potential asking price, but I think there's a chance they might have changed their minds with the way he's played down the stretch here. A lot like 2013-14 Barrie with all the clutch, timely goals. He and Grubuaer are the biggest reasons they made the playoffs. Tough to sell that trade to fans, especially if he plays well in the playoffs.

Grubauer is the third guy that might have reversed his fate. Not sure if he would have been let go or not, but I'm pretty sure there was no way they were gonna go with a Grubauer-Francouz pairing a month ago. Grubauer had just played too poorly, and Francouz was almost entirely unproven in the NHL with no starts.

I think early on, the best bet was Varly on a short term deal and another year of Varly-Grubuaer as a stop gap. Then Varly burned out after that long stretch of games and fell apart. At that point, they had pretty much no good realistic options.

Now with the way Grubauer has stepped up though, even if he doesn't maintain this level of play next year, they can feel more comfortable with Grubauer and an NHL unproven Francouz. I think there's a good chance they add Cal Peterson, or someone similar to replace Frank in the AHL next year too.

Hopefully one of those three can become the Avs goalie of the future.
I'm actually hoping we draft Knight and that kinda solves that problem no?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm actually hoping we draft Knight and that kinda solves that problem no?

I think that happens too if he's there, but he's years away. I think the Avs have a multi pronged attack in mind, but only Grubauer would be proven in any meaningful way.

Draft Knight and let him grow. Sign a Cal Peterson type to take over Francouz's spot in the AHL. Bump up Frank to backup Grubauer in the starters role. That's my guess as to how they approach it but who knows.

I think they may even trade up for Knight if they're worried someone else will snag him. I think Sakic realizes they have to be aggressive in addressing this, and have some assets they may be able to spare.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I think that happens too if he's there, but he's years away. I think the Avs have a multi pronged attack in mind, but only Grubauer would be proven in any meaningful way.

Draft Knight and let him grow. Sign a Cal Peterson type to take over Francouz's spot in the AHL. Bump up Frank to backup Grubauer in the starters role. That's my guess as to how they approach it but who knows.

I think they may even trade up for Knight if they're worried someone else will snag him. I think Sakic realizes they have to be aggressive in addressing this, and have some assets they may be able to spare.

Yeah if there's one thing I think I know about Sakic, it's that he's never again going to be satisfied with only two NHL-quality goalies under contract. He's realised you need at least three to be successful and he's not going to make that mistake again. One way or another we'll have a starter, a good backup, and a good AHL starter next season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Patient Joe

I was upset they didn't take the rumored Chabot deal at the time, but everyone has to admit patient Joe's approach really paid off. Even if it took a little luck.

Girard and either of the Hughes or Kakko alone are probably better than Chabot and Zibanejad. If the pick ends up 3rd or 4th, there's a good chance it would be too.

On top of that though, he got Bowers, Kamenev, Hammond (who stole that game in the playoffs that almost helped them advance) the Sens 3rd round pick this year, and what ended up being 3rd and 5th rounders last year after another trade, which netted them Justus Annunen and Danilla Zhuravlyyov.

Pretty damn good return for a guy who asked for a trade.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I was upset they didn't take the rumored Chabot deal at the time, but everyone has to admit patient Joe's approach really paid off. Even if it took a little luck.

Girard and either of the Hughes or Kakko alone are probably better than Chabot and Zibanejad. If the pick ends up 3rd or 4th, there's a good chance it would be too.

On top of that though, he got Bowers, Kamenev, Hammond (who stole that game in the playoffs that almost helped them advance) the Sens 3rd round pick this year, and what ended up being 3rd and 5th rounders last year after another trade, which netted them Justus Annunen and Danilla Zhuravlyyov.

I always thought Joe would do a good job (just from my personal psychological analysis, lol) but unfortunately I ended up souring on him right before the Duchene trade. I told myself I would wait to see what he does with Duchene and then make up my mind from there, but in the end I decided he was taking too long. Then boom the trade happened and I’ve been kicking myself ever since. I should have stuck to my guns.

Oh well, in the end it doesn’t really matter who's right or wrong. We all just want to see our team win.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Did it really though? Even if we get Hughes or Kakko, that makes it a push :dunno:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Did it really though? Even if we get Hughes or Kakko, that makes it a push :dunno:

I've always been a big fan of Chabot, but I think the difference between those two and Zib will most likely make that the case. Zib had a great year this season, but it's so hard to judge this year's stats, given they're so inflated across the board.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've always been a big fan of Chabot, but I think the difference between those two and Zib will most likely make that the case. Zib had a great year this season, but it's so hard to judge this year's stats, given they're so inflated across the board.

I'm less than convinced that the gap between Zbad & Hughes/Kakko will be as big as the gap between Chabot & Girard.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm less than convinced that the gap between Zbad & Hughes/Kakko will be as big as the gap between Chabot & Girard.

Maybe we could fill that gap with all the other player we got in the trade...?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Just a "little luck" Foppa?

In my opinion, Joe was handed a huge life-saver in the form of idiot GM Pierre Dorion. I like the return Joe got for Duchene (duh), and in hindsight we can say his patience won-out, but I do believe there's nothing wrong with also acknowledging that there was a huge amount of luck for him, in that Dorion was so infatuated with Duchene that he helped orchestrate a 3-team deal that got Sakic his asking price.

Again--love the trade (mainly because it got Duchene the hell out of here), but I think Joe had more than a "little luck" (and I suspect from reading your post that you do as well--that you're just being a little flip about it for the sake of having fun)

;)

Reactions: Foppa2118

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Have to give Sakic some praise. The Avs rebuild has ended and the team is poised to become one of the best teams in the league. The last few seasons have been really impressive, lets hope that continues.

Sakic sucked tbh when Roy was around but managed to turn it around in a big way. Thank god he did as he was not getting fired even if the Avs looked awful right now.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, every successful team gets a little lucky. Pierre Lacroix's greatest-ever trade never happens if 1) The Nordiques stay in Quebec City, 2) The Habs were run by a weak and incompetent GM who 3) let a megalomaniac (who for some odd reason still gets airtime on Montreal sports radio) run the greatest goalie in franchise (and some say league) history outta town.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe we could fill that gap with all the other player we got in the trade...?

Nah. This isn't NHL19, you can't just add secondary & tertiary pieces to close the gap in bluechippers...if you believe that there will be a significant one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad