Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think it takes more than a half season.

Not in this case. Joe’s “patience” is biting us in the ass this season. But there’s still cause for hope that this will be the last season that we have to waste because of that “patience.”

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
And vice-versa!

True, it's a difficult line to walk finding that balance. But there has to be some sort of balance in there. I'd love it if Joe shut me up this summer like he did with the Duchene trade. But between re-signing our own guys & adding what we're lacking, he's left a lot on his plate for this summer & he needs to hit another homerun to get us back on track.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still can see why they weren't aggressive in the offseason. I'm guessing Sakic thought that out of Jost, Kerfoot, Compher, Soderberg, Wilson, Andrighetto, Calvert, Nieto, and Kamenev that the team would have enough depth to compete, especially with the top line providing most of the production. It's uncanny that virtually every single one of those players have failed to meet expectations in some form or another.

Also, I still think it was a lousy FA market. One of the "top prizes" was James Neal, who is currently the only member of a top-tier contending team in Calgary doing nothing to contribute. There was also David Perron, and of course, Paul Stastny. I still have no idea how much interest there was on either side, so it's hard to just pin that one on Sakic.

What I DO pin on Sakic is his failure to recognize things did not look good at all beyond the top line, Soderberg, and Varlamov's solid start to the season. There were still ways he could have, and should have, shored up the depth of this team. When Kamenev went down and Jost was struggling he should've been scouring the league for a decent 3rd line center. One existed in Jordan Weal, a guy known for his defense and would have helped the team immensely with their lackluster NZ play, and could have been had for a sixth round pick. It didn't have to be a 2nd line center, it could've been a decent depth player/utility guy who would allow guys like Soderberg to play higher in the lineup. I feel like Sakic is a big-picture guy, when a GM needs to see everything, and realize he can make structural changes to the lineup without having to sacrifice a lot of assets.

I also think that when your goalies appear to be making the same mistakes over and over again, that either the goaltending coach isn't doing his job or the goalies just stopped listening for some reason.

So in a sense, I am advocating a coaching change. At this point Parkkila should be shown the door IMO, and Pratt should be on the hot seat.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I seem to remember him speaking a bit prior to let the fan base know his intentions. Hell one year he basically did the exact opposite of what he said as well. So no.. IMO he usually does something prior to the TDL within the season. We haven't heard from him since the off-season that I can remember.

Yeah you're right now that I think about it. He usually gives a few comments to a reporter prior to the deadline, then a bigger scrum after. I think that's what he just did as well.

I remember him doing that the year he told Chambers they weren't going to give up any high picks or top prospects for rentals at the deadline, and then traded lesser prospects and picks for Boedker and Mathias, and Chambers like an idiot basically called him a liar. Conflating top prospects and picks with Wood, Bleakley, and 3rd and 4th rounders.

Which is actually very similar to Sakic's comments the other day, so lets see if Chambers is capable of learning they're not the same thing, because I have a feeling they'll do something at the deadline. Just not likely anything big unless it falls in their laps.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If Joe doesn't have a solid 2nd line come October, I'm going to call it and say MacKinnon is good as gone when his sweet-heart deal is done. You can't be the GM and expect to keep good players if you do nothing to build a decent team around them. Joe is on the clock, and while I wouldn't want him to force a trade at this point in the season he absolutely has to do something this summer above just hoping our two firsts provide what is needed.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
If Joe doesn't have a solid 2nd line come October, I'm going to call it and say MacKinnon is good as gone when his sweet-heart deal is done. You can't be the GM and expect to keep good players if you do nothing to build a decent team around them. Joe is on the clock, and while I wouldn't want him to force a trade at this point in the season he absolutely has to do something this summer above just hoping our two firsts provide what is needed.
The 2nd line needs to be improved no doubt. However, MacKinnon has 4 more years left on his contract and you do not know at all what happens in the future. Whoever we draft might not be a NHL player next year, even if it is Hughes. The best UFA forwards might not want to come to Denver or would ask for contracts that would only hurt the team. There might not be a good trade available either.

Something will be done for sure, but there are no guarantees that we will have a solid 2nd line come October. Claiming that MacKinnon is as good as gone, if the 2nd line is not solid next year, is not based on anything.

Kevin Cheveldayoff sat on his hands for years and did absolutely nothing but draft prospects while his team missed the playoffs year after year, it took him 3 years to make his first player for player trade. Still the players stayed on the team and are a happy bunch now.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The 2nd line needs to be improved no doubt. However, MacKinnon has 4 more years left on his contract and you do not know at all what happens in the future. Whoever we draft might not be a NHL player next year, even if it is Hughes. The best UFA forwards might not want to come to Denver or would ask for contracts that would only hurt the team. There might not be a good trade available either.

Something will be done for sure, but there are no guarantees that we will have a solid 2nd line come October. Claiming that MacKinnon is as good as gone, if the 2nd line is not solid next year, is not based on anything.

Kevin Cheveldayoff sat on his hands for years and did absolutely nothing but draft prospects while his team missed the playoffs year after year, it took him 3 years to make his first player for player trade. Still the players stayed on the team and are a happy bunch now.

Chevy’s inactivity is the reason why Winnipeg will have squandered their window if they don’t win it all this year. So he may not be the best example to bring up in defense of Sakic’s complacency...

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
People need to understand that only one team win the Stanley Cup each year (it should be obivous)... and it doesn't make all the other GMs incompetent.

Reactions: klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
People need to understand that only one team win the Stanley Cup each year (it should be obivous)... and it doesn't make all the other GMs incompetent.

People need to understand that only one team wins the Stanley Cup each year...so it's important to capitalize when you have the opportunity to be that team, lest you squander your window like Chevy has.

Reactions: Mules

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
People need to understand that only one team wins the Stanley Cup each year...so it's important to capitalize when you have the opportunity to be that team, lest you squander your window like Chevy has.
I don't think there's a move out there that will win them the Cup this year.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Chevy’s inactivity is the reason why Winnipeg will have squandered their window if they don’t win it all this year. So he may not be the best example to bring up in defense of Sakic’s complacency...
You are missing the entire point. I used Winnipeg as an example of a team that did nothing for years, yet their top players did not want to to get out of town.

The poster claimed that if we don't have a solid 2nd line in October MacKinnon will walk once his deal ends. Its a ridiculous claim tbh. Imagine if the Avs are a cup contender in say 3 years, is MacKinnon really going to walk because he holds a grudge against Sakic for not fixing the 2nd line a few years ago.

Reactions: Iceberg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You are missing the entire point. I used Winnipeg as an example of a team that did nothing for years, yet their top players did not want to to get out of town.

The poster claimed that if we don't have a solid 2nd line in October MacKinnon will walk once his deal ends. Its a ridiculous claim tbh. Imagine if the Avs are a cup contender in say 3 years, is MacKinnon really going to walk because he holds a grudge against Sakic for not fixing the 2nd line a few years ago.

Well then that's a poor analogy because the Jets never had a hyper-competitive Hart candidate they needed to convince to stay...on top of missing the lesson that's to be learned from Winnipeg's mistakes.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Well then that's a poor analogy because Winnipeg never had a hyper-competitive Hart candidate they needed to convince to stay.
This MacKinnon is going to walk talk is just more pointless drama made up by pissed off Avs fans. He has 4 years left on his deal, he is not walking anywhere anytime soon.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll respectfully disagree that Chevy's been complacent. I mean, he made one of the biggest deals of the deadline (and also most effective) with Stastny, and then even cleared cap room to try and keep him. He can't help that the Boogie Knights thwarted him twice over. I don't quite understand what he should be doing, and I don't think for a moment that their window has already closed. He'll have one hell of a challenge on his hands with things like Laine and Trouba to deal with, but I don't think the Jets are already done.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm really not concerned about Nathan MacKinnon possibly demanding a trade either. It's up to the Avs whether or not they somehow botch things with the best player they've had in at least a generation. If they don't make some big strides toward being a contender this offseason, I wouldn't blame Nate one bit for wanting out. Because as a fan, I'll probably be out too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll respectfully disagree that Chevy's been complacent. I mean, he made one of the biggest deals of the deadline (and also most effective) with Stastny, and then even cleared cap room to try and keep him. He can't help that the Boogie Knights thwarted him twice over. I don't quite understand what he should be doing, and I don't think for a moment that their window has already closed. He'll have one hell of a challenge on his hands with things like Laine and Trouba to deal with, but I don't think the Jets are already done.

That was after sitting on his hands for half a decade. Chevy's fatal error came in taking so long to open their window and not putting any forethought into how his core's timelines aligned.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That was after sitting on his hands for half a decade. Chevy's fatal error came in taking so long to open their window and not putting any forethought into how his core's timelines aligned.

Well, I dunno...he inherited a mess from Atlanta, he decided a lot of components of that team were not worth building around, and I think he was right. The only possible misstep that might be happening is that he might be sticking with Paul Maurice too long. I think that guy is a fantastic hockey mind, but I'm just not sure he can get them over the top.

The weirdest thing with the Jets this year is that Hellebuyck had a Vezina-caliber season and has regressed pretty badly. Not sure what they could've done to fix that, though somehow Laurent Broissoit has been a good bet. Goaltending is strange.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
When he took over he did nothing else than draft and re-sign players for a few years, I mean it took him 3 years to make his first player for player trade which is insane. Since then he has been more active and doing a fine job.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The Avs could not have a fix in place for the 2nd line in October, then go on to win 4 Stanley Cups during MacKinnon's contract.

How competitive the team is during the last two years of his contract (mostly the final year) will be what has an influence on his decision. Don't let the fear mongers talk you into thinking the state of the team five years from becoming a UFA, will have a big impact on whether he stays or goes.

Reactions: MarkT

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
FTR I think prices are WAY too high. Listening to the Bobcast now and he thinks that there'll likely be a huge onrush of players available, which should lower prices if Joe decides to try and bolster the lineup. Conversely, it'll take what little value the players he should move have and lower it even more (if that's possible) so that'd be the downside.

I'm not measuring Sakic's ability as a GM one what he does now. I'll hold judgment to see what he does at the deadline. If the team is clearly out of it and he doesn't bother moving ONE expiring asset, I'll definitely lose confidence in his ability as a GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad