Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Ideally we would be sellers but there is almost nothing to sell.

Varly
Wilson
Nemeth
Bourque
Ghetto RFA
Kerfoot RFA

I don't see why any team would go after Varly, Ghetto or Bourque. Wilson and Nemeth probably gets us a bunch of nothing, late picks + weak prospects. Maybe Kerfoot returns something decent, he is fairly young and can put up some points which might trick a team into thinking that he is worth anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Wilson should return a pick after the season he's had, especially if we retain, his salary should be minimal at the deadline. He's the perfect kind of forward depth for a playoff team. Other than that, Bourque is an AHL player, nobody will want Ghetto with him not scoring anymore, and Kerfoot I doubt gets moved.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
FTR I think prices are WAY too high. Listening to the Bobcast now and he thinks that there'll likely be a huge onrush of players available, which should lower prices if Joe decides to try and bolster the lineup. Conversely, it'll take what little value the players he should move have and lower it even more (if that's possible) so that'd be the downside.

I'm not measuring Sakic's ability as a GM one what he does now. I'll hold judgment to see what he does at the deadline. If the team is clearly out of it and he doesn't bother moving ONE expiring asset, I'll definitely lose confidence in his ability as a GM.

This is how it is every year now. For any kind of meaningful deal, the prices are absolutely crazy until the last few days before the deadline.

I think if Sakic made a deal now like everyone is upset at him for not doing, they'd probably think otherwise once they saw what he gave up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is how it is every year now. For any kind of meaningful deal, the prices are absolutely crazy until the last few days before the deadline.

I think if Sakic made a deal now like everyone is upset at him for not doing, they'd probably think otherwise once they saw what he gave up.

I'm torn between that thought, and thinking Sakic just won't make a deal unless optically it seems like a clear win at this point.

However the reports out of NY seem to support your theory lol.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't understand why Sakic still has Hepple in charge of our draft. If we want to win, we need to spend on our scouting and development staff.

Reactions: Grigo

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Kerfoot wont be moved.

And Varly seems to find his grove again. Maybe he can net something more of value.

For the rest we should get at least some picks (late rounder).

Would you give late round picks for those guys, if they were on a different team, and we needed playoff depth?

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Would you give late round picks for those guys, if they were on a different team, and we needed playoff depth?

I'd take Captain Average if I needed a bottom 6, but yeah, that's it...and it's not like I'd give anything significant up for him. At best it would be the 4th that he cost us.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If we have another season where we miss the playoffs, I am not sure how much faith I can have in anyone in this organization. I am more hoping that Avs scouts have a solid draft (which I admit I am quite worried about), Bednar learns from his mistakes, and Sakic's constant patience finally pays off with some solid trades and UFA pick ups in the offseason. But that's me hoping and praying and not really built on good foundational history from this club.

They're as stale as WWI soldier ration saltine crackers. I kind of know what tigre was feeling when she blamed everyone including Charlotte Graham. It just seems and perhaps this is on all Kroenke teams but that people feel too comfortable at their jobs and utterly vanilla ice cream mediocre people find their way in these jobs and stay there until retirement.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
- Coach

- Goalie

- Draft with likely two top picks

- Secondary scoring via FA/trade

- Rantanen extension amongst others

What a huge summer coming up for Joe. Make or break, sink or swim, whatever you want to call it.

He won’t be around for Rebuild 3.0 if he fails this upcoming summer.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
- Coach

- Goalie

- Draft with likely two top picks

- Secondary scoring via FA/trade

- Rantanen extension amongst others

What a huge summer coming up for Joe. Make or break, sink or swim, whatever you want to call it.

He won’t be around for Rebuild 3.0 if he fails this upcoming summer.

Joe Sakic has been doing a great job so far. All of those things that you posted, Sakic will be able to take care of. Except for secondary scoring via FA or trade. Barrie will give us a top 6 young good winger. We wont need to resign him if he asks for 7, 8 due to total points.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No. No no no. Average and Andrighetto need to go. I actually still kinda like Ghetto but I've absolutely HAD IT with Wilson. I suppose he was worth the 4th rounder, but nothing beyond that.

In hindsight, I think that was Joe's greatest failing this season. Not that he necessarily expected too much of the sophomores, but rather he didn't supply the team with a good enough supporting cast. And make no mistake...Wilson, Andrighetto, Nemeth, Barberio, and BOURQUE were not good enough. In his defense, I certainly thought between those guys, Nieto, Calvert, Cole, and the kids backing up that top line that they'd at least be decent enough for the postseason. I was wrong.

What is inexcusable is that his loyalties were divided. Getting Brassard was perfectly fine, but the moves that followed it were not. He also made a huge error in not giving Frankie a single start when there was ample opportunity to do so.

I won't be surprised, but I won't be happy, if he retains Bednar. I think it's quite clear he is not the guy to bring them into contention. His own development as a coach has stalled, and he needs some more time as an assistant or AHL head coach somewhere else. That said...I'm convinced they're either going to keep him or hire another guy on the cheap because that's what they do.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS and cgf

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Anyone want to re-evaluate their comments here? Know what smacks of character in an organization guys? I read this the other day:

we’ll be the 2nd team in NHL history to have a 3-20 skid and make the playoffs.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Anyone want to re-evaluate their comments here? Know what smacks of character in an organization guys? I read this the other day:

we’ll be the 2nd team in NHL history to have a 3-20 skid and make the playoffs.

No, why would we want to re-evaluate our comments just because the entire Western Conference sucked ass this year?

A 3-20 skid, one that especially highlighted the team's most glaring hole (the lack of a true 2nd line), is flat-out unacceptable regardless of if we make the playoffs. None of Kerfoot, Jost, or Compher showed they were capable of being a 2C before this season began, and that was something a multitude of posters noticed (and we're not paid pro scouts in the NHL). Joe made a horrendous gamble and if it weren't for the 1st line being so hot, the Avs wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs right now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No, why would we want to re-evaluate our comments just because the entire Western Conference sucked ass this year?

A 3-20 skid, one that especially highlighted the team's most glaring hole (the lack of a true 2nd line), is flat-out unacceptable regardless of if we make the playoffs. None of Kerfoot, Jost, or Compher showed they were capable of being a 2C before this season began, and that was something a multitude of posters noticed (and we're not paid pro scouts in the NHL). Joe made a horrendous gamble and if it weren't for the 1st line being so hot, the Avs wouldn't be sniffing the playoffs right now.

While the remark is well put, I would say the highlight of that skid was goaltending. I posted the stats a while ago, and if I remember correctly the Avs scored 3 or 4 goals quite a few times during that skid and lost every single game in which they scored 3 or 4.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
While the remark is well put, I would say the highlight of that skid was goaltending. I posted the stats a while ago, and if I remember correctly the Avs scored 3 or 4 goals quite a few times during that skid and lost every single game in which they scored 3 or 4.
Agree 100%. Furthermore there were plenty of reports Sakic was in on certain players this summer to get help for the 2nd line. I guess people would have prefer he handcuffs us with a very bad contract and then complain about that contract as well. Just look at the complains for the Cole and Calvert contracts.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Agree 100%. Furthermore there were plenty of reports Sakic was in on certain players this summer to get help for the 2nd line. I guess people would have prefer he handcuffs us with a very bad contract and then complain about that contract as well. Just look at the complains for the Cole and Calvert contracts.

Nah, we preferred that Joe not sit around on his hands and risk wasting yet another year simply because he was too complacent to make a good move instead.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Nah, we preferred that Joe not sit around on his hands and risk wasting yet another year simply because he was too complacent to make a good move instead.
But he didn't sit around. He did try...or were you sitting with him in his office watching him sit on his hands and the reports were wrong?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But he didn't sit around. He did try...or were you sitting with him in his office watching him sit on his hands and the reports were wrong?

Yep, I was right there in the office with Wenger all summer. Who do you think called the reporters to tell them how hard Arsene was working on accomplishing nothing at all?

Reactions: AllAboutAvs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad