Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Corey pronman might be right, like I said I thought it was comical that people assumed he was a top line lw. But that was when he was coming here, now he is a ranger and sux. Anyway, you seem to like pronman, where does he rate the forwards you listed? I'm not an ESPN insider, how many Bruins you listed above vesey at 98?

Hockey news has him 14th I believe.

Again, please show me some posters who have done this (more than a couple, that's not enough to constitute "people", in this instance imo). I've seen a lot of people who were high on him and whose expectations have tempered somewhat (only natural, the hype was real) and then a lot of people who call him a career AHLer or something to that effect, but I can't recall the latter group ever calling on Sweeney and Clode to guarantee him top 6 minutes (and even if they did, they may very well have done so because they thought he "sux", because they want Sweeney and Clode to look stupid when he sux in Boston or rejects us because our offer sucked).

I've unfairly grouped posters together and attributed posts to the wrong posters before, thinking there was some hypocrisy or disingenuity where there was none, I think it's natural on internet forums, especially where a lot of people have similar avatars. I'm not saying you're doing this, a lot of people have pointed this out, but I'd really like a demonstration of this happening.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
How'd this guy get 5 threads anyways? Sounds like we dodged a bullet here. With 6 or 7 better LW prospects he just would have a blocked a spot.

Well, it depends in what terms you're talking. Bjork for instance is by most metrics in a better place than Vesey was at the same age. But Vesey had a huge burst in the season equivalent to the one Bjork will be entering a year from now. Obviously Vesey is the better player right now, and Bjork isn't guaranteed that spurt - so Vesey may keep being the better player until they both retire, but some might argue this makes Bjork at least a comparable prospect (especially if you want to argue that the first seasons in a junior/college league are more relevant to how they project at higher levels). Again, I'm far from well versed in the relevant league to comment on any of this, so I won't comment on how they compare. I don't think Vesey would have more than 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart at his position entering this season. That might change in a matter of weeks, though. He might pass Vatrano, or fall off and have two more guys pass him. Does this mean this low risk high reward move wouldn't have been worth it? Not imo.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Corey pronman might be right, like I said I thought it was comical that people assumed he was a top line lw. But that was when he was coming here, now he is a ranger and sux. Anyway, you seem to like pronman, where does he rate the forwards you listed? I'm not an ESPN insider, how many Bruins you listed above vesey at 98?

Hockey news has him 14th I believe.

I don't actually put any stock whatsoever in anybodies list. Not Pronman. Not even Bobby Mac. I prefer to let the players quantify themselves with their own on ice production rather than allow someone else's opinion or agenda to elevate or diminish a players production and projection. Lists mean nothing to me. I only brought it up because you did.

Last edited:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Quite the contrast when we look back to July1, 2016 and Tim Schaller signed a free agent contract with the Bruins.

Given the Vesey circus, one can't help but root for Schaller to make the Bruins.

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20160703/SPORTS0701/160709860/1052/SPORTS07

Bruins deal a dream for Merrimack's Tim Schaller

"It's a dream come true," Schaller said of joining Boston. "It's definitely something I've dreamed about but never thought it would come true."

Schaller had similar offers to Boston's from two other teams and drew interest from 11-12 franchises. His decision was far from difficult.

"At the end of the day, when everything (was) equal between the three (teams), it was an easy choice to pick the Bruins," Schaller said.

Schaller seems like a good kid. Maybe a Claude favourite-type, like Acciari

Canadian Bruin

Jun 16, 2007
Halifax, NS
Does anyone know what was pitched from the Bruins as of ice time, line combo? It might be just me but way the Bruins are run from the front office and the coach. There was no way in hell that they offered him top line minutes without playing 1 game in the NHL. With all the young talent chomping at the bit to make the team, all I can see them giving him was the opportunity to earn a spot.

Maybe the Rangers did and is why he is there, but this team is all about earning your spot, just ask every young prospect that has come up. No one gets it easy.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Does anyone know what was pitched from the Bruins as of ice time, line combo? It might be just me but way the Bruins are run from the front office and the coach. There was no way in hell that they offered him top line minutes without playing 1 game in the NHL. With all the young talent chomping at the bit to make the team, all I can see them giving him was the opportunity to earn a spot.

Maybe the Rangers did and is why he is there, but this team is all about earning your spot, just ask every young prospect that has come up. No one gets it easy.

Sweeney said Julien talked to Vesey at length, told him that he'd seen him live and on film and wanted him to start on Krejci's LW. He also said Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Krug and McQuaid all came in and were part of the pitch. He even said they had other prominent Boston athletes talk to him about playing here, but didn't name which ones.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Was there ever a question that Bjork was better?

Bjork is already an NCAA point per game player at 19 years old and has been selected to every single Team USA he's been eligible for U17, U18 & U20.

I thought this was a given. Already better and 3 years younger yet with tons of room for improvement still to come.

Maybe it's just me that likes prospects that produce
The only issue I have with Bjork is he ain't signed and if he just watched this incredible dog and pony show may take that route - he's a Chicago area kid so Kane and Toews can just take a cab to see him play in summer leagues

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney said Julien talked to Vesey at length, told him that he'd seen him live and on film and wanted him to start on Krejci's LW. He also said Krejci, Bergeron, Marchand, Krug and McQuaid all came in and were part of the pitch. He even said they had other prominent Boston athletes talk to him about playing here, but didn't name which ones.

But then he was threatened and the prearranged marriage by Peter Fish and the Rangers was on

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thes...d-in-rangers-pitch-to-vesey/amp?client=safari

I don't blame Vesey for giving up the dream out of fear

Vesey had no choice but to do what Peter Fish wanted

member 96824

Vesey
McAvoy
Sensyshyn
Heinen
JFK
DeBrusk
Vatrano
Lauzon
Zboril
Carlo
Subban
Donato
Gabrielle
OGara
Grzelcyk
Lindberg

Off top of head

Just days ago Vesey was "like getting a top 5 pick for free"

Is this similar to "Like Mike" when he loses the special shoes? Where'd all that talent go? He was at the top of our prospect list just this month?!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just days ago Vesey was "like getting a top 5 pick for free"

Is this similar to "Like Mike" when he loses the special shoes? Where'd all that talent go? He was at the top of our prospect list just this month?!

I talked with Joe and we redid the list
Also
I'm trying to build up my cred with new posters cut me some slack this ain't helping me out here

member 96824

I talked with Joe and we redid the list
Also
I'm trying to build up my cred with new posters cut me some slack this ain't helping me out here

haha fair enough. Without street cred we're all just apes pounding on a keyboard.:monkey:

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Where'd all that talent go? He was at the top of our prospect list just this month?!

Not to me he wasn't. Here's my post from August 12th (when Boston was the favourite to land him), ranking him 5th amongst our current NHL-ready LW group

I'm totally expecting that to be the case. I hope they both do well, but I agree, Heinen appears to be the much better of the two from afar.

I have Heinen and Vatrano battling with one another for ice time this year, with Heinen going back and forth to Providence and Vatrano going up and down the lineup in Boston. Vesey looks like a guy who needs AHL time as well. Likely back and forth and competing with Jake DeBrusk for opportunities.

My LW Depth chart with Vesey would be:

1.) Marchand (Top Line)
2.) Beleskey (Top 9)
3.) Vatrano (Versatile Line 2,3 & 4)
4.) Heinen (Line 2, 3, press box & Providence)
5.) Vesey (Line 2, 3, press box & Providence)
6.) DeBrusk (Line 3, 4, press box & Providence)
7.) Schaller (Line 4, press box & Providence)

and here's my LW depth chart as of August 20th, with Vesey now a Ranger. He would still be 5th amongst our NHL-ready LW.

The Bruins LW depth projects as followed if each player played in a top 6 role in the NHL this season.

Marchand .79 ppg (65 NHL pts)
Vatrano .72 ppg (52 NHL pts) - 1 year younger than Vesey
Heinen .48 ppg (39 NHL pts) - 2 years younger than Vesey
Beleskey .46 ppg (38 NHL pts)
Bjork .35 ppg (29 NHL pts) - 3 years younger than Vesey
Vesey .32 ppg (26 NHL pts)
Gabrielle .29 ppg (24 NHL pts) - 4 Years younger than Vesey
DeBrusk .29 ppg (24 NHL pts) - 3 years younger than Vesey
Donato .15 ppg (12 NHL pts) - 3 years younger

On an NHLE projection basis, which is as accurate as anything we have, 5 are better prospects RIGHT NOW (3 of them being younger also).

Vesey signing in Boston or New York changes nothing, but I still want in on that Apes on keyboard thing :monkey:

member 96824

Not to me he wasn't. Here's my post from August 12th (when Boston was the favourite to land him), ranking him 5th amongst our current NHL-ready LW group

and here's my LW depth chart as of August 20th, with Vesey now a Ranger. He would still be 5th amongst our NHL-ready LW.

Vesey signing in Boston or New York changes nothing, but I still want in on that Apes on keyboard thing :monkey:

It's going to be a broadway hit! But I too will need to take it from Boston to New York

Too soon?

Honestly though the back and forth between you and a couple other posters was super informative...I think it was a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I commented on it then, but if not I apologize for not recognizing it sooner. I'm a complete data nerd, so it was great to see some hard numbers and comparison.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
It's going to be a broadway hit! But I too will need to take it from Boston to New York

Too soon?

Honestly though the back and forth between you and a couple other posters was super informative...I think it was a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I commented on it then, but if not I apologize for not recognizing it sooner. I'm a complete data nerd, so it was great to see some hard numbers and comparison.

Yeah I remember that discussion. It was a good dialogue but there was a lot of anxiety on the board at the time and I believe it rubbed a few the wrong way, so I shut it down out of respect and just watched it play out. If nothing else, glad we can speak freely again

yohan1212

Mar 31, 2007
Vesey would have had trouble cracking our top 9. That's why he didn't come here. Our issues are on the back end, but have a ton of depth on the offense.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
In a tampering sort of way before the 16th, or in recruiting/disuading efforts once he became a free agent? Or both?

Witken is very good at forecasting the long term and let's be honest if his client does well the agency does well. What I am trying to say is the agency wanted to to put blinkers on Jimmy and to leave emotion out of it.

The reality is - Manhattan can be a very good place to be if you are young and have money.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well I think you have to take into consideration that Vesey stated that he ended up having a connection with the New York Rangers. Surprising that a hometown boy cannot get a connection with the Boston Bruin management. Something he didn't like . Was it Claude Julien? Was it that he's better friends with Kevin then Jimmy Hayes? Was it the fact that he couldn't handle the pressure being in Boston? Was it the fact that Jimmy Hayes was not selling Boston to VEsey? Was it the media in Boston that made him decide to go elsewhere? Was it the fact that he thought he would have a better and easier time in New York versus Boston? What is a Jimmy's agents that influenced him to take the deal from New York? Who knows? Was his plan to always go to New York or was it to go to Boston? I guess we'll never really know unless Jimmy comes out and says.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
If you don't put stock in lists why did you write pronman has him 98th?

I don't actually put any stock whatsoever in anybodies list. Not Pronman. Not even Bobby Mac. I prefer to let the players quantify themselves with their own on ice production rather than allow someone else's opinion or agenda to elevate or diminish a players production and projection. Lists mean nothing to me. I only brought it up because you did.

Let's close the loop here, I was always skeptical that vesey was a ready made top line winger. I still am. Sounds like you were and still are too. So we may actually agree.

We absolutely agree.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just one other thing that may have been a factor.

Jimmy has a life outside of hockey and it is safe to assume that many friends he has made at Harvard will be working in New York next year.....that is what Harvard people do.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I have been a die hard Bruins fan since I was 4 years old. I have eaten slept and breathed Bruins pretty much my whole life. My ultimate dream would have been to play for the Bruins. Had I ever had the opportunity to sign with them, there is nothing on this planet that would have kept me from doing so. NOTHING. Enjoy the Rangers Jimmy. You are dead to me now.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Manhattan can be a very good place to be if you are young and have money.

He does sort of look like a young Mr. Burns

b551abad_excellent-mr-burns.gif
5055a8e1b53929a66bb62d6cd4c9197c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad