Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As an educator, I can't help but sympathize with the fact that the kid was insulted when asked "why school?".

How many times do we as fans bash professional players who end up broken down and bankrupt with no education to fall back on?

Good for him. You have to do what's best for you in this world. Nobody else is going to care about you when you can't play hockey any more.

How important was school to Vesey? He turned down a full boat at BU to go to Harvard where there are no scholarships. Harvard always finds the money but in return a student has to 'earn' some of that money by working as a waiter in the dining halls and other petty chores. Being a jock does not make you exempt from that.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I see so many others that grew up here-Roenick,Amonte,Tkachuk,Barrasso,Guerin etc. who all probably at one time had the same dream,but then reality appeared,and they all seemed to adjust just fine. If Vesey is bitter or felt scorned and he let that get in the way,well he needs to grow up.

We're all human, with the accompanying flaws. I wish he chose to use anger over not being selected by the B's by signing here and spending his career proving them wrong, but in the end he chose anoher way.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Fish DID NOT want him on Boston and it had everything to do with rosters, present and future personel and future earnings and the P-A-T-H.

Jeff Gorton had Kevin Hayes on this soon as the season ended.

I told Glorydaze awhile back as in 2 months it was not Eichel who was the threat it was Hayes and New York.

I totally understand Peter Fish here weighing the options and although not Boston he got the next best thing in proximity and actually did better comfort wise with teammates he was familiar like Kreider & Hayes, and lack of long term competition with 4 years of zero first round picks

But any kid who grew up dealing with the NY bullship from the Yankees, Jets, those 2 Super Bowl losses can't be a fan of that place. Jimmy Vesey New York Rangers when he could have played for home team

The spin is they could have drafted him

They didn't do this they didn't do that m

Please.

He didn't want to go up against Boston's deep farm system when the Rangers got little coming along and Peter Fish knew it- plus Fish represents Vatrano who would be going head to head with Vesey

So his agent did the work and came up with the Rangers as the best place for his client. Pretty simple. Seems fans are just making too much of the hometown angle. He's a professional now, not a fan.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So his agent did the work and came up with the Rangers as the best place for his client. Pretty simple. Seems fans are just making too much of the hometown angle. He's a professional now, not a fan.

Yes that's about it :laugh:

Too funny but yah it really is this

The problem is it went against what I wanted and I'm jilted a bit

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

In fairness, in a lot of the articles he mentions the fact that he grew up as a fan. Without reading them all, I can't say for certain if the quotes were from 2010 or June, but it's not like it was never mentioned as a factor.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
How important was school to Vesey? He turned down a full boat at BU to go to Harvard where there are no scholarships. Harvard always finds the money but in return a student has to 'earn' some of that money by working as a waiter in the dining halls and other petty chores. Being a jock does not make you exempt from that.

Not to pick nits, but Harvard uses very little student labor in the dining halls. Harvard is one of the few schools out there that runs all of their dining services, including catering, in-house and doesn't outsource to a Sodexho or Aramark, where you see a lot of work study opportunities. Instead, they are operated by Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS).

Non-management dining hall employees are unionized so the number of jobs that can be given to students are very few. Some athletes take those few positions but not typically major sport athletes. The Harvard Dining and House system is fascinating. My husband has managed dining units at Harvard for 12 years.

I know the point was more jobs are found for them on campus as a way to get money in their pockets, but thought I'd drop a little knowledge where I could. It's so rare these days. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad