Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Everything I've read refers to the Bruins as the team he rooted for growing up, or similar.

I think most people equate that with it being his childhood dream.

I don't know many 10 year olds who play street hockey and act out scoring the Cup winning goal for a team other than their favorite.

I see so many others that grew up here-Roenick,Amonte,Tkachuk,Barrasso,Guerin etc. who all probably at one time had the same dream,but then reality appeared,and they all seemed to adjust just fine. If Vesey is bitter or felt scorned and he let that get in the way,well he needs to grow up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why do you care about a guy who would be behind Tim Schaller on the depth chart? Were you upset when Petterri Nokkelainen left?

Wow - this is great

We met Nokkrlainen at the Bruins season ticket cookout one year. He hung with us at the table and because the Bruins sucked had few fans and I was a long time season ticket holder I got to do a bunch of cool things with the team. Having young kids put us in a bunch of team activities and we became very friendly with Nokie:)

When he left the Bruins we saw him in the player family section and he called us over- my kid loved him and he was amazing to her.

Ladyfan (who ironically just called me to check on my well being after the Vesey Hostage Project ended and was concerned about my well being) won Nokkelainen jersey on Fan Appreciation Day last game. My daughter still seethes over that but Susan said she will leave it in her will.

As an aside - when Nokie called us over he was with 3 of the hottest looking Finn women I have ever seen. I just had to add because I still can't get it out of my mind which is good because I don't want to.

Long story short - yes I miss Nokkelainen ;)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I am disappointed.

I thought this was a nice fit for both parties.

I like the team I follow to win on the ice, and in the front office.

This is not Vatrano vs. Vesey as some seem to characterize it. Have both.

This does nothing to ease my suspicion that the Bruins Management Group is somewhat ham handed, and can't even sell a deal when they have the ace.

Outside of the Chiarelli era (blank cheque, haha), quite a few Agents have had a negative opinion of the Bruins over the years and this, in my opinion, has effected the team in situations such as this.

The Bruins were in this to win the deal. This is a loss.

The B's met Vesey at their new state of the art practice facility, flew in some of their best players to meet him and told him he would start the year on Krejci's LW.

How is that "ham-handed"?

Seems to me that the B's did all they could (short of drafting him 4-5 years ago). I don't characterize it as Vesey vs Vatrano, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that it was not a better situation for the agent if Vesey and Vatrano were on different teams. They would be competing for the same minutes on the PP, even if one of them did move to the right side. Could they have co-existed on the B's? Absolutely. However, it's a win-win for Fish and Co if both players have an opportunity to put up numbers on different teams.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Wow - this is great

We met Nokkrlainen at the Bruins season ticket cookout one year. He hung with us at the table and because the Bruins sucked had few fans and I was a long time season ticket holder I got to do a bunch of cool things with the team. Having young kids put us in a bunch of team activities and we became very friendly with Nokie:)

When he left the Bruins we saw him in the player family section and he called us over- my kid loved him and he was amazing to her.

Ladyfan (who ironically just called me to check on my well being after the Vesey Hostage Project ended and was concerned about my well being) won Nokkelainen jersey on Fan Appreciation Day last game. My daughter still seethes over that but Susan said she will leave it in her will.

As an aside - when Nokie called us over he was with 3 of the hottest looking Finn women I have ever seen. I just had to add because I still can't get it out of my mind which is good because I don't want to.

Long story short - yes I miss Nokkelainen ;)

In terms of Bruins nation, you're a national treasure, DKH.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

Pretty much used to dream about being taken first overall in 2011 by the Boston Bruins. Them not picking him at all had lots more to do with this then being led on.

I think he was stung by not being drafted by Chia but he certainly could not hold that against Sweeney.

However Jimmy did say he was impressed that the Rangers REALLY wanted him and he said that was a big factor in his decision. That makes me think the Bruins no show in Foxborough during the pro league this summer didn't help. Sure the Bruins had scouts but no Don, Cam, Charlie or Claude went to see him in person. Meanwhile you had Buffalo trading for his rights with no guarantee, other teams sent high profile execs and Chicago went all out with Bowman and Q. I found the time to go once so why couldn't Don or Cam???? The Bruins attitude seemed to be we look forward to talking to you after the 15th. I think that approach cost the Bruins dearly.

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The B's met Vesey at their new state of the art practice facility, flew in some of their best players to meet him and told him he would start the year on Krejci's LW.

How is that "ham-handed"?

Seems to me that the B's did all they could (short of drafting him 4-5 years ago). I don't characterize it as Vesey vs Vatrano, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that it was not a better situation for the agent if Vesey and Vatrano were on different teams. They would be competing for the same minutes on the PP, even if one of them did move to the right side. Could they have co-existed on the B's? Absolutely. However, it's a win-win for Fish and Co if both players have an opportunity to put up numbers on different teams.

We will never know how those negotiations went will we. But as stated; I have my suspicions. Those are based on my perceptions as a fan; one that watches these things closely (for years) as many of us do here on this site. This was a loss. Another venture entered into without a positive result. I believe we even had the ace card. Couldn't close. Call it what you will. I call that ham. That'll be my characterization in this matter. I am not alone.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Interesting. He is usually pretty spot-on with his facts. Fumbled a few here, nothing serious, and obviously some bias. Really nicely put together piece though, as usual, and good on Kirk for adding the appropriate caveat

Please tell us, which facts he fumbled on. It's nice that you can tell us he fumbled, but would be great if you could tell us which facts he fumbled on so we can all get it straight.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In terms of Bruins nation, you're a national treasure, DKH.

Thanks but not really- I see the Bruins ink and home rooms dedicated to the Bruins and I'm honored to be in the group of Bruins fans

Bruins fans are like no others their love and passion is second to none

I'm a national something but my family would switch treasure with 'piece of work'

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Please tell us, which facts he fumbled on. It's nice that you can tell us he fumbled, but would be great if you could tell us which facts he fumbled on so we can all get it straight.

I could, but if I start nit-picking his article it will be spun here as hate for Kirk, and I love Kirk. I'll let you do your own fact checking of the piece if you want to know so bad

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Also in retrospect we can not discount the influence the Hayes tribe had in all this. Jimmy felt the Blackhawks never gave him a fair shot and he was buried in Rockford (AHL) but that was one tough roster to crack a few years ago. His brother was drafted by Chicago but he used the same loophole that Vesey did.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I could, but if I start nit-picking his article it will be spun here as hate for Kirk, and I love Kirk. I'll let you do your own fact checking of the piece if you want to know so bad

I would rather see you post what you think is wrong than to leave it out there.

Nobody is going to think you are anti Kirk.

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Can someone fill me in on what happened with Beleskey?

I saw mention of "his tweet." I checked his twitter and all I see is that he apparently stirred up the NY fanbase pretty bad.

What did he do/say?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I saw mention of "his tweet." I checked his twitter and all I see is that he apparently stirred up the NY fanbase pretty bad.

What did he do/say?

I don't know how you missed it

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

What did he do/say?

Called Vesey out in a few words. Maybe Beleskey will knock Vesey around a bit. Well worth two minutes. Have him looking over his shoulder. He'd be quieter than Kessel was for years.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Also in retrospect we can not discount the influence the Hayes tribe had in all this. Jimmy felt the Blackhawks never gave him a fair shot and he was buried in Rockford (AHL) but that was one tough roster to crack a few years ago. His brother was drafted by Chicago but he used the same loophole that Vesey did.

There is no doubt in my mind they had some influence, if not a lot. Carma will get them both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Yep it seems the Hayes brothers may have sank Hawks bid

They also were behind that free Morin nonsense during 2014 playoffs. For those that don't remember Morin was healthy scratch as Hawks were playing that year (Lost in heartbreaking game 7 OT to Kings in WCF)

Some Hawk fans wanted him in but he never won over Q with his play (Especially defensive effort) so he sat. The Hayes brothers were tweeting "Free Morin" thru playoffs along with Brandon Pirri (Recently traded out of Chicago after requesting trade) and it became a distraction especially with Kevin Hayes already indicating he was going FA route

It lead to some fans/media bashing Q and then when Hayes didn't sign it lead to even more scorn from Q

Naturally Hawks won cup the next season behind Q's wonderful leadership while Jimmy Hayes was healthy scratch on and off in Florida and Jeremy Morin asked for trade out of Chicago and flopped when given chance to be NHL regular in Columbus (Then amusing enough was traded back to Hawks in Saad deal)

Hayes family came off as entitled brats to be honest. Jimmy lost out to Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw for open wing positions and when it became clear he wasn't going to be a regular for Hawks they sent him and Dylan Olsen (Another disappointing prospect who couldn't nail down a regular spot on Hawks) for Kris Versteeg at half cost (2.2M). It was good trade for Hawks despite Versteeg's warts in end and Bowman traded Hayes and Olsen to organization that would allow them to play.

I really was happy at 2010 draft when Hawks selected Kevin Hayes and traded for Jimmy Hayes. But in hindsight I wish Hawks had avoided the Hayes family

Maybe its not fair to Hayes family but everything about there time in Chicago organization left bad feelings on Chicago side as well. To be told by Kevin he was going to sign only for him to turn around and not sign especially after his ESPN interview did not sit well. The "free morin" circus on top of things

At end of day Q will play kids who put in an honest effort defensively. Jimmy , Morin and Pirri all didn't show at times a desire to put in an honest effort and that is why they found themselves in Q's doghouse

You don't have to play D well but just hustle and look like you want to play D is what Q asks. Its what got Shaw/Saad/TT in Q's good graces and even when they struggled at times as rookies or young NHL players they still played. Q especially liked TT's effort defensively (Which sucks because now TT is gone)

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think he was stung by not being drafted by Chia but he certainly could not hold that against Sweeney.

However Jimmy did say he was impressed that the Rangers REALLY wanted him and he said that was a big factor in his decision. That makes me think the Bruins no show in Foxborough during the pro league this summer didn't help. Sure the Bruins had scouts but no Don, Cam, Charlie or Claude went to see him in person. Meanwhile you had Buffalo trading for his rights with no guarantee, other teams sent high profile execs and Chicago went all out with Bowman and Q. I found the time to go once so why couldn't Don or Cam???? The Bruins attitude seemed to be we look forward to talking to you after the 15th. I think that approach cost the Bruins dearly.

Maybe the Bruins took the not trying to pressure him route? There is no doubt they wanted him. Rangers' beat writers never wrote about him too much I don't think. I don't under stand the Rangers really wanted him bit. Getting some celebs counts as really wanting him. Bruins came down to meet him. Look at Chicago. How much did they show they liked him. They had people watching practices. Didn't work for them. I think it was a done deal already before the date came.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Also in retrospect we can not discount the influence the Hayes tribe had in all this. Jimmy felt the Blackhawks never gave him a fair shot and he buried in Rockford (AHL) but that was one tough roster to crack a few years ago. His brother was drafted by Chicago but he used the same loophole that Vesey did.

Fish DID NOT want him on Boston and it had everything to do with rosters, present and future personel and future earnings and the P-A-T-H.

Jeff Gorton had Kevin Hayes on this soon as the season ended.

I told Glorydaze awhile back as in 2 months it was not Eichel who was the threat it was Hayes and New York.

I totally understand Peter Fish here weighing the options and although not Boston he got the next best thing in proximity and actually did better comfort wise with teammates he was familiar like Kreider & Hayes, and lack of long term competition with 4 years of zero first round picks

But any kid who grew up dealing with the NY bullship from the Yankees, Jets, those 2 Super Bowl losses can't be a fan of that place. Jimmy Vesey New York Rangers when he could have played for home team

The spin is they could have drafted him

They didn't do this they didn't do that m

Please.

He didn't want to go up against Boston's deep farm system when the Rangers got little coming along and Peter Fish knew it- plus Fish represents Vatrano who would be going head to head with Vesey

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

The Hawks sent the heavy artillery and they came up empty handed.
The Sabres traded a third rounder to court him.
Vesey not ended in Boston is a loss indeed, but I don't see how I could pin that on Sweeney.
That was the kid decision.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As an educator, I can't help but sympathize with the fact that the kid was insulted when asked "why school?".

How many times do we as fans bash professional players who end up broken down and bankrupt with no education to fall back on?

Good for him. You have to do what's best for you in this world. Nobody else is going to care about you when you can't play hockey any more.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
As an educator, I can't help but sympathize with the fact that the kid was insulted when asked "why school?".

How many times do we as fans bash professional players who end up broken down and bankrupt with no education to fall back on?

Good for him. You have to do what's best for you in this world. Nobody else is going to care about you when you can't play hockey any more.

I don't think anyone is criticizing him for getting an education from Harvard.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yep it seems the Hayes brothers may have sank Hawks bid

They also were behind that free Morin nonsense during 2014 playoffs. For those that don't remember Morin was healthy scratch as Hawks were playing that year (Lost in heartbreaking game 7 OT to Kings in WCF)

Some Hawk fans wanted him in but he never won over Q with his play (Especially defensive effort) so he sat. The Hayes brothers were tweeting "Free Morin" thru playoffs along with Brandon Pirri (Recently traded out of Chicago after requesting trade) and it became a distraction especially with Kevin Hayes already indicating he was going FA route

It lead to some fans/media bashing Q and then when Hayes didn't sign it lead to even more scorn from Q

Naturally Hawks won cup the next season behind Q's wonderful leadership while Jimmy Hayes was healthy scratch on and off in Florida and Jeremy Morin asked for trade out of Chicago and flopped when given chance to be NHL regular in Columbus (Then amusing enough was traded back to Hawks in Saad deal)

Hayes family came off as entitled brats to be honest. Jimmy lost out to Brandon Saad and Andrew Shaw for open wing positions and when it became clear he wasn't going to be a regular for Hawks they sent him and Dylan Olsen (Another disappointing prospect who couldn't nail down a regular spot on Hawks) for Kris Versteeg at half cost (2.2M). It was good trade for Hawks despite Versteeg's warts in end and Bowman traded Hayes and Olsen to organization that would allow them to play.

I really was happy at 2010 draft when Hawks selected Kevin Hayes and traded for Jimmy Hayes. But in hindsight I wish Hawks had avoided the Hayes family

Maybe its not fair to Hayes family but everything about there time in Chicago organization left bad feelings on Chicago side as well. To be told by Kevin he was going to sign only for him to turn around and not sign especially after his ESPN interview did not sit well. The "free morin" circus on top of things

At end of day Q will play kids who put in an honest effort defensively. Jimmy , Morin and Pirri all didn't show at times a desire to put in an honest effort and that is why they found themselves in Q's doghouse

You don't have to play D well but just hustle and look like you want to play D is what Q asks. Its what got Shaw/Saad/TT in Q's good graces and even when they struggled at times as rookies or young NHL players they still played. Q especially liked TT's effort defensively (Which sucks because now TT is gone)

Maybe the Hayes brothers can play together in the AHL eventually.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->