Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Vesey Signs with Rangers - MOD WARNING # 318

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I guess it is a compliment to Boston that he wouldn't sign. He is saying the B's are too deep and bright with prospects for him to make easy $$ and have a predetermined role lined up.

In hindsight NY is the perfect team for him. Might have been smarter to go to Crosby or Kane if he wants the paydays, but NYR will be able to guarantee him a long term future in the top lines.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
I guess it is a compliment to Boston that he wouldn't sign. He is saying the B's are too deep and bright with prospects for him to make easy $$ and have a predetermined role lined up.

Not necessarily. If true that he was offered at least a chance next to Krejci this season, any athlete with that compete level probably considers themselves to have a good chance at running away with it. He's smart and calculating, and a lot of our depth is most likely one or a couple more years away.

I personally think wanting to get away from Boston (but not too far away) played a bigger part, as well as the allure of NYC. Buffalo in a couple of years are likely to have passed NYR, and he'd have Eichel as a team mate (comp. Kevin Hayes). The difference is NYC is NYC and Buffalo is... I'm not going to pass judgment not having been there myself (my best friend in the U.S. lives there and is a diehard Sabres fan, though :laugh:), but it's not NYC - also as many have mentioned being an NHL player there is probably more comparable to in Boston. Pretty sure even Lundqvist can go out with no "disguise" without guaranteed recognition. Oh, also the big apple is, what, half as far away from Boston? Pretty much the perfect fit when considering those aspects. Also they could very well stay afloat for 2-3 more years. Enough for him to create a name for himself on a big market playoff team.

As for the rivalry aspect, it's pretty minuscule from my observations (especially dwarfed by the MLB and NFL equivalents) - fingers crossed Beleskey can help build one up :laugh:
And the kid has mentioned liking the Habs, so it shouldn't have come as a shock that he, like Hayes, could consider playing for the Rangers.

All that said, as Bruins fans we can hope our depth at least played some part in his decision (as counter-intuitive as that may seem if you overthink the issue). It probably didn't help, at least.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In hindsight NY is the perfect team for him. Might have been smarter to go to Crosby or Kane if he wants the paydays, but NYR will be able to guarantee him a long term future in the top lines.

That is what Witken and Fish did - look ahead

Rangers situation is manageable

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-york-rangers

Rangers are a fascinating operation. The owner (Jimmy Dolan) hates hockey and in 2000 gave Glen Sather the keys which now have been given to Jeff Gorton. MSG is the highest grossing venue in the NHL in USD as seats in the lower bowl are insanely priced but how insanely if people are buying. Keith Olbermann tweeted last year that with the STH discount he was paying $730 a game for 2 seats. :help:

We as fans tend to forget that the NHL is a business. Dom correct me if I am wrong but I believe the least any player can receive in salary for suiting up in an NHL game is $7.3K (USD)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That is what Witken and Fish did - look ahead

Rangers situation is manageable

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/new-york-rangers

Rangers are a fascinating operation. The owner (Jimmy Dolan) hates hockey and in 2000 gave Glen Sather the keys which now have been given to Jeff Gorton. MSG is the highest grossing venue in the NHL in USD as seats in the lower bowl are insanely priced but how insanely if people are buying. Keith Olbermann tweeted last year that with the STH discount he was paying $730 a game for 2 seats. :help:

We as fans tend to forget that the NHL is a business. Dom correct me if I am wrong but I believe the least any player can receive in salary for suiting up in an NHL game is $7.3K (USD)

Fenway, 6 of us went out last night to dinner and we have well over 100 years of Bruins season tickets combined and the consensus was Jimmy Vesey did not get to marry the girl of his dreams but one of those arranged type marriages.

Vesey plays well he should be in a good spot in 2 years as attrition and age thins out the Rags a bit and they have a group of Stefan Miller Kreider Hayes Zino and a few others to be solid.

The Rangers have been going for it and zero first rounders in last 4 years and trading away too prospects to win like DuClair

I watched Gorton destroy the farm and prospects like he was bailing out:laugh: so Vesey is a great add

Vesey would have been a great signing for Boston but at least next to defense that is their strongest area prospect wise (can I say that or am I supposed to droll as I scream 'Sweeney hasn't done anything with the defense')

Peter Fish never wanted this kid here and as the agent of Frank Vatrano as well a direct competitor I have no idea if that factored in or not but regardless with the help of Kevin Hayes they finally got Vesey to say I Will go somewhere else.

I'm not sure this is how Vesey drew it up but it's over. He at least gets to go to Boston south where know one will recognize him on the street, he's a quick plane ride home, and Kreider and Hayes know all the twists and turns of the city and make his transition likely seem less

What an insane story

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
Fenway, 6 of us went out last night to dinner and we have well over 100 years of Bruins season tickets combined and the consensus was Jimmy Vesey did not get to marry the girl of his dreams but one of those arranged type marriages.

Vesey plays well he should be in a good spot in 2 years as attrition and age thins out the Rags a bit and they have a group of Stefan Miller Kreider Hayes Zino and a few others to be solid.

The Rangers have been going for it and zero first rounders in last 4 years and trading away too prospects to win like DuClair

I watched Gorton destroy the farm and prospects like he was bailing out:laugh: so Vesey is a great add

Vesey would have been a great signing for Boston but at least next to defense that is their strongest area prospect wise (can I say that or am I supposed to droll as I scream 'Sweeney hasn't done anything with the defense')

Peter Fish never wanted this kid here and as the agent of Frank Vatrano as well a direct competitor I have no idea if that factored in or not but regardless with the help of Kevin Hayes they finally got Vesey to say I Will go somewhere else.

I'm not sure this is how Vesey drew it up but it's over. He at least gets to go to Boston south where know one will recognize him on the street, he's a quick plane ride home, and Kreider and Hayes know all the twists and turns of the city and make his transition likely seem less

What an insane story

It really is. If I'm Sweeney, Fish is in my cross hairs. That Miller contract makes it really feel like Fish played Sweeney. Jimmy Hayes, adios big fella. Buried in Providence if he can't be traded.

Vesey and the Rags? Based on Belelskys tweet, I'm gonna imagine the Bs dial it up a notch when they meet.

I'm sure I'll be called out for gong all sour grapes, So, guilty as charged!

One last thing, Dan to your point about not marrying the "girl of his dreams" well instead, he went to the ArRangers. :D

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I have been a die hard Bruins fan since I was 4 years old. I have eaten slept and breathed Bruins pretty much my whole life. My ultimate dream would have been to play for the Bruins. Had I ever had the opportunity to sign with them, there is nothing on this planet that would have kept me from doing so. NOTHING. Enjoy the Rangers Jimmy. You are dead to me now.

That's certainly your prerogative but you can't expect others to live by your set of values. If I were an athlete there would be 50 things I'd care about more. Doesn't make me right or you wrong, it's what is right or wrong for the individual.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Meh....good insight but not much of anything new. Just like Amonte, Hayes etc who are scared to play in Boston. Just like in the Red Sox situation, not everyone can play in Boston. Maybe he can take Hayes spot on the Rangers when he gets benched again. Hayes bro's aren't too good. Sorry dad. Kreider not panning out either. Congrats Gorton.

I wonder where all this fear to play in Boston comes from. Personally I couldn't think of any better sports town to win a title in.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I wonder where all this fear to play in Boston comes from. Personally I couldn't think of any better sports town to win a title in.

The issue isn't what happens when you win a title, it's what happens flags majority of years that you don't.

It's will be like that everywhere to a degree, but his extended family being here certainly adds a unique element.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It really is. If I'm Sweeney, Fish is in my cross hairs. That Miller contract makes it really feel like Fish played Sweeney. Jimmy Hayes, adios big fella. Buried in Providence if he can't be traded.

Vesey and the Rags? Based on Belelskys tweet, I'm gonna imagine the Bs dial it up a notch when they meet.

I'm sure I'll be called out for gong all sour grapes, So, guilty as charged!

One last thing, Dan to your point about not marrying the "girl of his dreams" well instead, he went to the ArRangers. :D

I just can't believe this statement 'Jimmy Vesey New York Rangers'

I don't like the NY teams in general - hate the Jets & Yankees, dislike all the others but maybe the Mets. I hate hate hate that weasel puke Mara and the Giants more than any team in sports

Jimmy Vesey choose a New York team when his hometown team did everything but give him a sponge bath at the new training facility

Can't wait to see him in a Jets or Giants jersey or sitting court side at a Knicks game high fiving Camelo.

I really hope though we don't see him in a Yankees Ellsbury jersey :amazed:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

I don't like the NY teams in general - hate the Jets & Yankees, dislike all the others but maybe the Mets. I hate hate hate that weasel puke Mara and the Giants more than any team in sports

Jimmy Vesey choose a New York team when his hometown team did everything but give him a sponge bath at the new training facility

Can't wait to see him in a Jets or Giants jersey or sitting court side at a Knicks game high fiving Camelo.

Why do you care about a guy who would be behind Tim Schaller on the depth chart? Were you upset when Petterri Nokkelainen left?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Kirk has some good insight into this and in the end I can't blame a kid for doing what he feels is right for him.

I can question his opinion of what is right however. The fact remains that, while those of us sitting here as B's fans dreaming of the opportunity to play for our favorite team will never know what it's like to do so, after this week end, he's closer to becoming like us in that regard.

He had the chance and chose not to take it. Maybe it will turn out for the best or maybe he'll regret it for the rest of his life. Who knows?

Like most here I hoped for him to sign here, but obviously had no idea what he'd do.

Very, very disappointed he landed in NY however, as I hate that team nearly as much as I hate the Habs and, if I'm right (as I rarely am) I will thoroughly enjoy watching them do what they have done for the vast majority of my sports watching lifetime.......underachieve.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Sure looks like he was seeking comfort,the comfort of his pal,the peace of not playing in front of the hometown jury,the knowledge that he wasn't gonna have to provide first line production and then all the other NYC allure crap. Don't know what the unknown money situation is looking forward or any other financial considerations were. I also think that we as fans look at it differently than kids who have played hockey for various teams during the climb up. The loyalty that a fan has to a team is much different than a professional player's. I ran into Keith Tkachuk when he was a free agent and I asked him about coming to Boston. He said 'if they show me the money."

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I am disappointed.

I thought this was a nice fit for both parties.

I like the team I follow to win on the ice, and in the front office.

This is not Vatrano vs. Vesey as some seem to characterize it. Have both.

This does nothing to ease my suspicion that the Bruins Management Group is somewhat ham handed, and can't even sell a deal when they have the ace.

Outside of the Chiarelli era (blank cheque, haha), quite a few Agents have had a negative opinion of the Bruins over the years and this, in my opinion, has effected the team in situations such as this.

The Bruins were in this to win the deal. This is a loss.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Could have been a hometown hero - decided to be another Harvard grad in NYC.

People make choices, childhood dreams die, life goes on.

Childhood dreams die?

Not in this case.

Childhood dreams are ignored, discarded, passed over is more accurate.

Dude had a chance to realize that dream. He just didn't care to.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you

Interesting. He is usually pretty spot-on with his facts. Fumbled a few here, nothing serious, and obviously some bias. Really nicely put together piece though, as usual, and good on Kirk for adding the appropriate caveat

But truth in lending: take my observations with a grain of salt. There is a personal element to it so I am not completely free of bias in all of this, nor do I pass myself off as completely objective here.

Refreshing to see that type of honesty in a post after a whirlwind week of watching "journalists" and "reporters" throw ***** against the wall

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Did he say it was his childhood dream?

Yes.

--------

I can remember waking up for 5 a.m. mite hockey games with my dad when the sun wasn’t even up yet. If I said I was tired, he’d say, “C’mon, Jimmy, someday this is all gonna be worth it.†Then on the way home we would pretend to announce my name as the first overall pick in my draft year. Those days were the best; I still remember that stuff like it was yesterday.…

With the first pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft … the Boston Bruins are proud to select … from North Reading, Mass. … Jimmy Vesey.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Did he say it was his childhood dream?

Everything I've read refers to the Bruins as the team he rooted for growing up, or similar.

I think most people equate that with it being his childhood dream.

I don't know many 10 year olds who play street hockey and act out scoring the Cup winning goal for a team other than their favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad