Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Let's wait for Mrazek to show he's actually as good or better than Howard before this become an issue, eh?

While I agree that in this very moment it means nothing,

in ~2 or 3 years, it could mean a lot.

Another tick in the "Really, Kenny?" column from where I'm standing.

RedWingsNow*

Let's wait for Mrazek to show he's actually as good or better than Howard before this become an issue, eh?

That's not the issue.

The issue is that Holland paid
a) A premium salary for Howard
b) A long term
c) And NTCs etc

Holland has tied is own hands ...and reduced his flexibility

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
When is the last time Holland offered a contract that doesn't involve a NTC or NMC?

I don't get it.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
This couldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Hey, even Samuelsson has a NTC... But Jimmy's is a modified NTC so it's not that bad.

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
While I agree that in this very moment it means nothing,

in ~2 or 3 years, it could mean a lot.

Another tick in the "Really, Kenny?" column from where I'm standing.

Damn, and just when I was beginning to have hope for a change in mindset. I'm waiting on the day every single player Kenny signs will have some kind of ntc. At this rate, it'll happen sooner rather than later.

That's not the issue.

b) A long term
c) And NTCs etc

Standing alone, A and B aren't horrible. Combined those two still aren't bad per se. Combine either with C, and you start wondering what the hell was the behind thought process. Someone needs to send Kenny to intervention. I never realized that ntc's and nmc's were drugs, but they must be. Why else would they appear in every contract Kenny signs? Isn't it enough that Kenny won't make a player/player trade because he might get his heart broken?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's not the issue.

b) A long term
c) And NTCs etc

The deal also back dives a little, so he should be more attractive to lower cap teams. Depending on what the actual modified NTC means that could be big. I really dislike that you can never really find out the modification in these contracts, like how many teams can he block? That is all I really want to know, if he gets to provide a list of like 8 teams it shouldn't be a huge deal. Although it will block some of the teams that might find his contract attractive more than likely.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Would have been nice to see NMCs and NTCs eliminated in the new CBA. Oh well. At least they fixed the Redden/Souray Loophole.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would have been nice to see NMCs and NTCs eliminated in the new CBA. Oh well. At least they fixed the Redden/Souray Loophole.

Yeah I really liked that idea, made a post on it remember the number being above 20% of the league has these. Understood why that was a non-starter with the NHLPA and unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle at this point.

For perspective, Kobe Bryant is the only guy to have a NTC, that might even be ever in the NBA. The only current player I know of unless Durant got one in the entire league.

RedWingsNow*

So, what are the chances Mrazek is better than Howard?

No idea.

But that's not the point.

I just got finished telling you that isn't the point.

The point is, what if 3 years from now Jimmy Howard looks like a total turd?
What if Mrazek looks better. What if McCollum looks better? What if Gustavsson plays during a Howard injury and he stands on his head during two playoff series for us?

What was the need for this contract?

RedWingsNow*

This couldn't come as a surprise to anyone. Hey, even Samuelsson has a NTC... But Jimmy's is a modified NTC so it's not that bad.

One might have hoped some change of thinking with the new CBA.

But Holland stopped thinking clearly years ago:shakehead

Aug 6, 2012
No idea.

What if Mrazek looks better. What if McCollum looks better? What if Gustavsson plays during a Howard injury and he stands on his head during two playoff series for us?

What if the more likely thing happens, and they don't?

Hate the NTC.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
No idea.

I dunno. I don't like the contract either, but with your 'concerns' why sign any player to longer than a 1 year deal?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
does anyone know exactly how it is a modified NTC? I'm betting it provides Holland flexibility to make a move later in the contract, similar to how Cleary's NTC disappeared last year. At that point, it's really just not a big deal that it's included.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
does anyone know exactly how it is a modified NTC? I'm betting it provides Holland flexibility to make a move later in the contract, similar to how Cleary's NTC disappeared last year. At that point, it's really just not a big deal that it's included.

This would be very relieving.

Won't hold my breath, though.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Jimmy's got the modified NTC thing on his capgeek, but the Wings' page doesn't show him with a little lock next to him. Something's amiss.

When you think about it, if you've given E, Sammy, Bert, Cleary, and Gustavsson some kind of NTC, it's hard to tell your franchise goalie he can't have one. Just sayin'.

Also worth mentioning - almost all of the goalies with $5m+ cap hits that have gotten some kind of NMC or NTC. Only guys without one according to capgeek are Quick, Price and Lundqvist (whose deal is almost done - he'll get a NTC with his next one). Rinne, Fleury, Loluongo, Bryz, Miller, Ward, and Kipper all have one. Backstrom doesn't but his deal is done and was only 4 years.

As ridiculous as it is, it seems to be the industry standard. And we don't know what the modifications are yet.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2012
Jimmy's got the modified NTC thing on his capgeek, but the Wings' page doesn't show him with a little lock next to him. Something's amiss.

When you think about it, if you've given E, Sammy, Bert, Cleary, and Gustavsson some kind of NTC, it's hard to tell your franchise goalie he can't have one. Just sayin'.

Also worth mentioning - almost all of the goalies with $5m+ cap hits that have gotten some kind of NMC or NTC. Only guys without one according to capgeek are Quick, Price and Lundqvist (whose deal is almost done - he'll get a NTC with his next one). Rinne, Fleury, Loluongo, Bryz, Miller, Ward, and Kipper all have one. Backstrom doesn't but his deal is done and was only 4 years.

As ridiculous as it is, it seems to be the industry standard. And we don't know what the modifications are yet.

Just because its the league trend doesn't make it right and shouldn't give KH an excuse IMO.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
No idea.

I count 4 ifs there. If you have to base any argument on ifs and buts you're grasping at straws. The only believable if is that Mrazek may be ready in 2-3 years, but his play has really tailed off the past month and a half. You can apply that logic to any contract over 4 years for any player, there's risk with any contract and you hope that reward is worth the risk.

Last edited:

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
That's not the issue.

b) A long term
c) And NTCs etc

This is what's irking me. I'm not a goalie person and I don't believe they are reliable over long periods of time -- no offense to those that play the position. A four year deal would have been more than enough for me and the NTC (god I'm starting to hate those) really makes this deal a wtf'er.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Just because its the league trend doesn't make it right and shouldn't give KH an excuse IMO.

If it is the trend do you think that Howard or his agent are going to sign a deal without one?

I'm sure another team would be willing if he chose to go to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad