Confirmed with Link: Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

Dynheart

Aug 21, 2011
What?! Jimmy's pads are awesome!

I think there was a poll last year, and Jimmy was voted 4th, I think? Maybe 5th. He was at the top of the list, that's for sure.

It's not just you. But pretty much everyone one else outside our fanbase think his pad setup is pretty badass.

Ugly? Not at all. I'm sure he's going to have to replace them sometime soon, though. :(

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So right now he is currently the 11th best paid goalie in the league, and will go further down that list after this offseason.

The only reason anyone can be upset at this offer is the years. However, considering Jimmy would have gotten 6 years and more money on the open market, I don't think the 6 years is that big of a deal either. He'll be 35, not 42.

Will see what Rask actually gets or Smith for that matter. Bryz is likely to come off the list in front of him. At this point cannot imagine Miller getting a huge deal at the end of his contract unless he turns it back on. Backstrom might beat him out but shouldn't. It can go the other way also. I am comfortable with this deal either way, but it can trend the other way surprisingly. The goalie market seems to heat up and cool down in strange ways. It is heating back up because Quick and Thomas did good things for goalies, that really hadn't happened since Roy and Hasek pushed their salaries way up in the 90's. It has a cyclical look to it in my opinion. Guys like Niemi and Halak just hit the market at wrong times or weren't firm enough with their agents.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Will see what Rask actually gets or Smith for that matter. Bryz is likely to come off the list in front of him. At this point cannot imagine Miller getting a huge deal at the end of his contract unless he turns it back on. Backstrom might beat him out but shouldn't. It can go the other way also. I am comfortable with this deal either way, but it can trend the other way surprisingly. The goalie market seems to heat up and cool down in strange ways. It is heating back up because Quick and Thomas did good things for goalies, that really hadn't happened since Roy and Hasek pushed their salaries way up in the 90's. It has a cyclical look to it in my opinion. Guys like Niemi and Halak just hit the market at wrong times or weren't firm enough with their agents.

Niemi wasn't as good back then.

Halak was RFA.

RedWingsNow*

Jimmy Howard showed up his team last night when Howard made a careless, lazy play on one goal, and a heartless, quitters play on another.

Jimmy Howard has Patrick Roy's personality, but nowhere near that level of skill

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Jimmy Howard showed up his team last night when Howard made a careless, lazy play on one goal, and a heartless, quitters play on another.

Jimmy Howard has Patrick Roy's personality, but nowhere near that level of skill

The fact that he was throwing his hands up before the puck got to him was pretty childish. He should have been focusing on playing the puck and maybe he wouldnt have biffed it so bad. He also put forth zero effort to get to the front of the net to try and poke check or something, anything.

lkleung007

Jun 11, 2012
Yup...Howard was awful last night...but then again so was the whole team.

Maybe this is just not our year?!

RedWingsNow*

The fact that he was throwing his hands up before the puck got to him was pretty childish. He should have been focusing on playing the puck and maybe he wouldnt have biffed it so bad. He also put forth zero effort to get to the front of the net to try and poke check or something, anything.

We just made a 6-year comittment to this guy.

Solid goalie.

Poor mental makeup.

Blames teammates for goals against.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Poor mental makeup.

Blames teammates for goals against.

Really man? One play is enough for you to judge the guy's entire mental makeup? Forget the last 3 years.

He only blamed himself for the goal in the post-game. He fanned on the puck, but he's never in that situation if someone skates back. God forbid he let's his team know that the puck is in their own zone on a powerplay and a forward pressuring him. Nope that's totally OK.

It's fine for everybody on this board to get pissy at Babcock and others, but the second Howard does he becomes a mentally fragile child. Something doesn't add up. He messed up big to give them the goal, but he had every right to be upset for his teammates even allowing that opportunity.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Really man? One play is enough for you to judge the guy's entire mental makeup? Forget the last 3 years.

He only blamed himself for the goal in the post-game. He fanned on the puck, but he's never in that situation if someone skates back. God forbid he let's his team know that the puck is in their own zone on a powerplay and a forward pressuring him. Nope that's totally OK.

It's fine for everybody on this board to get pissy at Babcock and others, but the second Howard does he becomes a mentally fragile child. Something doesn't add up. He messed up big to give them the goal, but he had every right to be upset for his teammates even allowing that opportunity.

I have no problem if he doesn't make the gesture before heading back and he attempts to dive back in to the net. When the goal goes in because of that, he can break his stick in half, waive his arms like a child and go over and curse out/scream at the bench while he gets a new twig. I am not saying Howard is incapable, certainly he is a good goalie. But that play bothered me a lot, the motion to the bench before playing the puck and lack of effort after the mishandle was poor especially with what was on the line. It showed a certain fragile behavior after the second goal one that I really thought Howard had turned the corner on. Chalk it up to a bad night, but certainly a bad time to have it and Wings fans should be angry about it as should his teammates and Howard himself.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I have said this a billion times, but Howard is a good not great goalie. I think Holland expects too much from Jimmy and is building around him where he bails out the defense. Why else would Holland switch his philosophy that has won him four cups and six trips to the Finals?

I really hope I am wrong and Holland doesn't believe that or I really hope I am wrong and Jimmy really is that good.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I have said this a billion times, but Howard is a good not great goalie. I think Holland expects too much from Jimmy and is building around him where he bails out the defense. Why else would Holland switch his philosophy that has won him four cups and six trips to the Finals?

I really hope I am wrong and Holland doesn't believe that or I really hope I am wrong and Jimmy really is that good.

Probably pretty accurate, Holland has paid big money to exactly three goalies. Hasek, Joseph and Howard. I am guessing Holland thinks he is closer to the first two than a lot of the Wings fanbase. We all know one of those ended very badly.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I have no problem if he doesn't make the gesture before heading back and he attempts to dive back in to the net. When the goal goes in because of that, he can break his stick in half, waive his arms like a child and go over and curse out/scream at the bench while he gets a new twig. I am not saying Howard is incapable, certainly he is a good goalie. But that play bothered me a lot, the motion to the bench before playing the puck and lack of effort after the mishandle was poor especially with what was on the line. It showed a certain fragile behavior after the second goal one that I really thought Howard had turned the corner on. Chalk it up to a bad night, but certainly a bad time to have it and Wings fans should be angry about it as should his teammates and Howard himself.
I think the response to this is just the typical old-school one. Goalies are crazy. Jimmy in particular gets really fired up, whether it's at himself, the other team, the refs, or his teammates.

I'm sure their reaction was closer to "****, we've got to help him out" than "man, this Jimmy Howard guy is a jerk." Actually, it was probably something like: Jimmy is having a bad game and we've got to see if we can help him out.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I hope Howard hires someone to teach him how to play the puck with all that money he just got. The guy gives me a heart attack every time he goes behind the net to play the puck with an opposing player closing in on him.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yup...Howard was awful last night...but then again so was the whole team.

Maybe this is just not our year?!

That's obvious we knew coming into this season after losing Rafalski to an Injury Retirement 2 years ago and Lidstrom and Holmstrom retiring and Stuart going back home to San Jose that's alot of talent to lose plus Holland letting Hudler walk and with all of our key Injuries this year. We knew there was a chance that our 21 straight years of playoff could come to an end and it looks like it will happen. Holland needs to do something at free agency if we dont make the playoffs.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I hope Howard hires someone to teach him how to play the puck with all that money he just got. The guy gives me a heart attack every time he goes behind the net to play the puck with an opposing player closing in on him.

I know i was thinking the same thing, Every time that Howard plays the puck he is making far to many stupid mistakes and for someone getting $5.3 million for 6 years he needs to be alot better then that.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
With the current rules, it's not terribly advantageous for the goalie to play the puck. He can just stay in the net, for all I care.

Goalies like Turco were neutered after trapezoid. Puck playing goalies won't be en vogue again until they remove that silly rule.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
With the current rules, it's not terribly advantageous for the goalie to play the puck. He can just stay in the net, for all I care.

Goalies like Turco were neutered after trapezoid. Puck playing goalies won't be en vogue again until they remove that silly rule.

It really is a stupid rule. The goalie is taking a great risk playing the puck, I dont understand why they have to put the rule in.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It really is a stupid rule. The goalie is taking a great risk playing the puck, I dont understand why they have to put the rule in.

Incearse scoring, more goals.

The first one is what they say, but it is quite appropriately a lot of times called the Brodeur rule. Honest question you think Turco is out of the league as quickly with this rule out? There were guys that were just exceptional at it, I was perfectly okay with that as a fan, but this skill probably really bothered a lot of GMs and the league.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The first one is what they say, but it is quite appropriately a lot of times called the Brodeur rule. Honest question you think Turco is out of the league as quickly with this rule out? There were guys that were just exceptional at it, I was perfectly okay with that as a fan, but this skill probably really bothered a lot of GMs and the league.

That and he forgot how to stop the puck. But without the puck handling the Stars got pinned in more. Which lead to more chances against. And goals. He and Brodeur were wizards at making dump and chase completely useless.

Wings weren't a dump team them which is why they could usually spank them, among other reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad