Jim Rutherford Needs to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I never said I liked the contract, but obviously they liked they player and felt the need to pay a premium to get him.

It's not the first or last time something like that will happen. Acting like these kinds of contracts are paranormal only to one GM is ridiculous. I'm not defending it.
These contracts have become the new norm for the Penguins, that’s the problem. Repeating that the Pens have won 2 cups recently doesnt somehow excuse our awful GM from making crappy free agent signings for the third straight off season.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I’m taking this off season with a grain of salt both ways. I’ve seen off seasons and trade deadlines that were supposed to be the key and put us over the top and we fall short. And I have seen lackluster of both that lead us deep or to glory. Do I agree with the moves fully? No. But now I’m 100% behind this team as I always am, and I’m willing to see what happens now. I’m going to wait at least 20-30 games in at this point before I give praises or throw stones. But hey... I always like to take the rational rather than emotional view.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m taking this off season with a grain of salt both ways. I’ve seen off seasons and trade deadlines that were supposed to be the key and put us over the top and we fall short. And I have seen lackluster of both that lead us deep or to glory. Do I agree with the moves fully? No. But now I’m 100% behind this team as I always am, and I’m willing to see what happens now. I’m going to wait at least 20-30 games in at this point before I give praises or throw stones. But hey... I always like to take the rational rather than emotional view.
Yea but after 25 games and if Tanev isn’t any good, you’ll say hindsight is 20/20 and the Pens can simply trade him....

Did you think Johnson would be good after 25 games??? It was irrational to give him the benefit of the doubt.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Lol. You know they haven't started a season well in like...ever.

We're gonna be spamming the Elmo Blow Everything Up meme by the second period of the first pre-season game.

f*** waiting 25 games to trade everyone. Best part is the shit we're waiting to evaluate is already known to be trash and signed for half a decade. It's gonna be brutal.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Screw two Cups. We have two years straight of absolute insanity from this guy. There's clearly no real direction or idea of what to do with this team. He's nearly missed the playoffs twice and he's signed players to awful deals or continually made awful trades that he has to undo, all of which cost more assets.

The guy was barely over .500 in Carolina over 19 years. He made the playoffs FOUR TIMES in 19 years in a league where almost half of all teams make the playoffs. He's mismanaged the cap so badly the Penguins had to play nine games a player short. He has lucked his way in to three Stanley Cups, plain and simple. Over 25 years in the league and he's proven to be a bad general manager who has no clear direction or path for his team, all reactionary and regressive.

Put your complaints here. Dude has to go.
Rutherford isn't being fired . He isn't going anywhere.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Rutherford isn't being fired . He isn't going anywhere.
Mario will sit on his hands for the next three years watching this play out, unfortunately. It’ll mark the end of Geno’s NHL career and the twilight of Sid’s career by the time 66 realizes JR needed to go.

Reactions: Casanova

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Mario will sit on his hands for the next three years watching this play out, unfortunately. It’ll mark the end of Geno’s NHL career and the twilight of Sid’s career by the time 66 realizes JR needed to go.
Well fortunately both Sid and Geno aren't coming up empty handed. Three cups, multiple hart trophies, art rosses, Conn Smythes etc between them made it all worthwhile. Hope you enjoyed the ride.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well fortunately both Sid and Geno aren't coming up empty handed. Three cups, multiple hart trophies, art rosses, Conn Smythes etc between them made it all worthwhile. Hope you enjoyed the ride.
I’m so sick of this argument. The ride didn’t have to be over. We have wasted the last two seasons with bad management decisions and poor coaching. What do we do about it? We extend our idiot coach for 4 more years, and make yet another crappy free agent signing.

I can’t rake people saying but but we had it good, mannn. We should still be able to have it good for another couple of seasons but we continue to make poor decisions over and over.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Lemieux is a minority owner the final decisions aren't being made by him . Rutherford will remain as General Manager until Burkle decides otherwise .

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Buried in a story about Kunitz’s retirement is this nugget from Yohe and Rutherford:

Last summer, the Penguins had some wiggle room financially. They had already agreed to terms with Jack Johnson. They had Matt Cullen on speed dial and eventually did bring him back for his final season.

Before Rutherford called Cullen, though, he gave Kunitz a call.

“He wanted to finish up in Chicago,” Rutherford said. “His wife is from there. It’s where they wanted to settle down. It was the right contract for him and I’m really glad he’s still in the game. He’s the kind of guy who should always still be in the game. But yeah, before he signed with the Blackhawks, I called him just to make sure that he was sure. I was considering bringing him back one more time.”

Good Lord stop this man.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The issues Rutherford has caused are somewhat fixed at this point. The only real stinker is JJs contract. A lot of teams are f***ed with the cap with worse rosters than us.

The fact that Recchi has a job is above JRs head.

That's where the issues are.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Buried in a story about Kunitz’s retirement is this nugget from Yohe and Rutherford:

Good Lord stop this man.

giphy.webp

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Yeah his time is passed. Before he drives whats left of the wreck off a cliff he needs to go.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Carrying nine defensemen and forcing your coach to have to dress seven defenders is just another example of Rutherford’s ineptitude.

He didn't force him, they called up two forwards and scratched one of them. Why Sullivan chose to do that I do not understand. But I completely agree that they shouldn't be carrying 9 defensemen because it's f***ing stupid and ONE OF THEM IS JACK JOHNSON.

But there are plenty of other examples. #1) Looked at the defense last off season and said, "looks good, just get Maatta out and we're fine." That alone should be the end of his tenure.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I started to lose faith in JR the second he made some comment to the effect that last year's defense corps was the best he's ever had in his time in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Corvidae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille