Jim Rutherford Needs to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
ferland probably sucks people. he will wallow in vancouver like countless others

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Figured I’d paste this here too. Since I’m captain of the positivity train (disposition not STDs), I figured I’d throw out some of the worst moves by other GMs who have actually won the Cup in the Cap era to give us some perspective on Rutherford.

Shero: traded two seconds for Douglas Murray (a worse player than JJ), made his team in 2013 slow and old when they were doing just fine. Hung on to DB after 12 and 13. Took Pouliot over Forsberg and Trouba. Signed Glass. Kept Adams around.

Chiarelli: Yea

Maclellan: Signed Brooks Orpik to a huge deal. Lost his Cup winning coach the offseason after the fact. Traded for Shattenkirk when they already had Niskanen and Carlson. Signed the corpse of Mike Richards to get torpedoed by Pitts.

Armstrong: Had two pretty bad or outdated coaches combined with two pretty mediocre-to-terrible goalies for most of his teams window. Traded Cole for Bortuzzo, traded Oshie for Brouwer.

Tallon: Built 2010 Blackhawks by being not even cap compliant. Missed the RFA window to tender offers to his players. Just signed Bob to a 10 million loaded deal and traded guys like McCann and Bjugstad to help do so.

Lombardi: committed too much to his role players that had won, put LA into a cap situation that they’ve been struggling to get out of years after the fact. They have made the playoffs once since 2014. 7 years for 32 year old Gaborik, Jones, Miller and the 13th overall for Lucic.

Bowman: Scuderi for Daley. Panarin for Saad. Hjalmarsson for Murphy. Paid Toews for his resume, not his ability. Seabrook’s huge deal. To me, his Maatta and Nylander deals don’t look great right now either. Signed dead Kunitz.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
How is he not maximizing those chances exactly? He’s been here 4 years & won 2 Cups. He spends to the max cap, makes trades left & right. Gives the coaching staff the resources needed to compete. He just retooled the lineup going younger & faster. That’s the very definition of maximizing chances. But perhaps the key word here is “chances”, not “guarantees”. No one is guaranteed a Cup, a lot has to go right. Likewise, not every signing is going to hit big. Craig Patrick traded Markus Naslund for Alex Stojanov & he was a great GM. I swear you guys & the entitlement mentality. This past decade has been the best in franchise history.
Nobody said "guarantee". That's a strawman. "Entitlement mentality"? Huh? We are talking about Hunwick and especially Jack Johnson and to a lesser extent Tanev, Gud and Reeves. Those trades and signings are not optimal. The Brassard trade is of the type you are describing--a trade that doesn't work out. How does one defend an NHL GM that signs a 31yr old Jack Johnson to a five year $16M contract? 2 cups? Great, what have you done lately?

Reactions: TheTang58

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Nobody said "guarantee". That's a strawman. "Entitlement mentality"? Huh? We are talking about Hunwick and especially Jack Johnson and to a lesser extent Tanev, Gud and Reeves. Those trades and signings are not optimal. The Brassard trade is of the type you are describing--a trade that doesn't work out. How does one defend an NHL GM that signs a 31yr old Jack Johnson to a five year $16M contract? 2 cups? Great, what have you done lately?

I hate the JJ signing as much as anyone but it’s not the worst signing of all time. Noted Progressive Wonderkind Kyle Dubas is going to have Ceci on his roster this year. Ray PuckMoving Defenseman Shero gave up real assets for a worse JJ in Doug Murray. GM Flavor of the Month Doug Wilson gave up assets for RH JJ Roman Polak only to see him get turnstiled by HBK in the finals.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I hate the JJ signing as much as anyone but it’s not the worst signing of all time. Noted Progressive Wonderkind Kyle Dubas is going to have Ceci on his roster this year. Ray PuckMoving Defenseman Shero gave up real assets for a worse JJ in Doug Murray. GM Flavor of the Month Doug Wilson gave up assets for RH JJ Roman Polak only to see him get turnstiled by HBK in the finals.

The key to two of those three is that they were rentals and gone shortly thereafter. We’re stuck with Johnson for a long time. That’s worse than giving up two seconds (the going rate for defenders back then) for a rental.

Reactions: TheTang58

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The key to two of those three is that they were rentals and gone shortly thereafter. We’re stuck with Johnson for a long time. That’s worse than giving up two seconds (the going rate for defenders back then) for a rental.

Source?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The likelihood is more than not. And if they're not there’s a high chance they’re parting with valuable assets to offload him.
I’d say it’s more likely than not he’s dealt. Assets that are equivalent to the price guys like Shero and Wilson payed for their scrub defensemen?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
I won't be shocked when Galchenyuk's tenure here is a "one and done". If Mike Sullivan didn't like the old Phil Kessel, how's he going to like one who's half as productive? And if I'm Galchenyuk, why would I re-sign as a UFA to play for a coach who second-guess everything that makes me successful? Not to mention after the Pens re-sign RFA's Matt Murray, Jared McCann, Dominik Kahun, and I'm guessing Dominik Simon and Jusso Riikola, they'll need to clear cap just to keep UFA Justin Schultz. Keeping Galchenyuk as well would take some Dubas-like maneuvering. Not that GMJR is a big "plan ahead" guy but if he's smart, he'll be entertaining offers for Galchenyuk all season long and if we're not a playoff team, he'll move him at the deadline.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Galchenyuk isn’t as bad as Kessel defensively and probably won’t tell Sullivan to f*** off if/when demoted.

Reactions: td_ice

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009

lol. and we wonder why we're labeled as a spoiled fan base on these boards.

yeah, screw those 2 cups, JR will go down in history for signing the worst Free Agent contract evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Galchenyuk isn’t as bad as Kessel defensively and probably won’t tell Sullivan to **** off if/when demoted.
a) Yes he is
b) He'd be wrong not too.

You think Kessel and this team had so much success because Kessel was adhering to what Mike Sullivan was telling him to do? Kessel knows what works for him and thank god he had the confidence to defy Sully. The worst thing you could do is put a bridle on Kessel and not have him play to his strengths.

Sullivan doesn't understand the value of players like Kessel & Galchenyuk. He should. Kessel was instrumental in winning 2 Cups here and well as making the powerplay the best it's been in the Crosby era but he doesn't. It's not the end of the world. In the same way that Kessel has holes in his game, Sullivan has holes in his. But because Sullivan does have these blindspots, we're just wasting time with Galchenyuk.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
That’s a pretty great deal for a player that scored more goals, assists, and points this past season than Brandon Tanev has in his whole career.

Reactions: BHD and Tom Hanks

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
There were 30 other teams that passed up on Dzingel.

He was a scratch in the playoffs, I think it had to do with effort. Granted, Tortorella has a habit of scratching players. I'm not sure if you can 100% blame Rutherford on not signing certain guys. It seems like he and Sullivan communicated a lot this offseason what direction they want to go in, I'm sure Sullivan gave a list of players he'd want on this team and seeing how fast they signed Tanev, I'm guessing he was at the top.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
There were 30 other teams that passed up on Dzingel.

He was a scratch in the playoffs, I think it had to do with effort. Granted, Tortorella has a habit of scratching players. I'm not sure if you can 100% blame Rutherford on not signing certain guys. It seems like he and Sullivan communicated a lot this offseason what direction they want to go in, I'm sure Sullivan gave a list of players he'd want on this team and seeing how fast they signed Tanev, I'm guessing he was at the top.

Not one single letter of this is an excuse for paying him $3.5 million over six years with a NTC when he's a fourth line plug that can be had for way, way less if you're patient. ESPECIALLY when you're having cap troubles.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Not one single letter of this is an excuse for paying him $3.5 million over six years with a NTC when he's a fourth line plug that can be had for way, way less if you're patient. ESPECIALLY when you're having cap troubles.

I never said I liked the contract, but obviously they liked they player and felt the need to pay a premium to get him.

It's not the first or last time something like that will happen. Acting like these kinds of contracts are paranormal only to one GM is ridiculous. I'm not defending it.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
I never said I liked the contract, but obviously they liked they player and felt the need to pay a premium to get him.

It's not the first or last time something like that will happen. Acting like these kinds of contracts are paranormal only to one GM is ridiculous. I'm not defending it.

They're not unique to Rutherford but they're far more common for him and we're dealing with him. He's garbage.

Reactions: BHD

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
lol. and we wonder why we're labeled as a spoiled fan base on these boards.

yeah, screw those 2 cups, JR will go down in history for signing the worst Free Agent contract evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are spoiled-we drafted 4 of the 5 best players between Gretzky and McDavid. We're like almost everyone else in that our GM does tons of stupid crap. Let's keep the needling pointed at Eastern PA where it belongs

Reactions: lastcupever75

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Oh, Rossi...

Rob Rossi said:
Rutherford could be forgiven for beginning to believe he can deal his way out of anything. He has made 40 trades as the Penguins GM, including moving on from 15 players he had signed as UFAs or acquired in a previous trade... Perhaps there is no such thing as a big mistake for hockey’s master of moves.

Here's a novel idea - don't acquire those players in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad